A little confused...

Options
Now, MFP says i should be around 2050 calories per day... however i think that is quite a bit, so i tuned it down to 1850 and usually never eat that much...then i read a story of someone who lost 140lbs and started on a 1200 calorie diet and the persons starting weight was just about what mine is now. Should i stick with what MFP says (* or close to it*) or should i attempt to cut down on the calories down to a 12-1400 range?

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Nope. Stick with NETTING what MFP says. That means eat your exercise calories. Your deficit is already factored in here.

You will lose weight. Trust me.

Don't try to crash diet.

EDITED TO ADD: Also, men need more calories than women (lucky ducks, you burn more) and height has a lot to do with it, too. You really ought to step back and stop trying to complicate this for yourself! It's SO easy! :)
  • impudentputz
    impudentputz Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I think it is the BMR not being posted that is confusing me with this whole calorie thing. cause i look at 2k calories and that is just alot... but my bmr is like 2800 or so... so im still burning 800 calories by not doing anything... however, i still feel that the calories that they set for me are a bit high. I think i might cut it down 300 below what they are asking for just so i dont get the mind set that i am eating too much every day.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    That's not really a good idea. You ought to do more reading before you make executive decisions about your health. It's more complicated than "I don't think this makes sense". You have to research a bit.

One thing to consider is that it's not healthy to have a large daily deficit. That's why MFP caps out where it does. This site is DESIGNED for healthy, sustainable weight loss.

I suggest you reconsider. Your metabolism and basic cellular functions will thank you.
  • fairygirl716
    Options
    why not stick with what MFP says for 2 weeks and see what your results are. If you aren't losing then bump it down...but if you see that you are losing than stick with the program. You will see that you may need to adjust along the way here and there, but don't let your head tell you that...let your body tell you what it needs.

For me, I started at 1200 (5'4", 235) and stuck with that for about 6 months. Then I hit a 4 week plateau. Under doctor's advice and guidance (very important, don't do this alone), I went down to 1100 calories for 3 weeks and broke my plateau. But, I also increased my cardio during that time. From there, I continued to increase cardio, but I also slowly increased my calories.

I'm currently netting around 1400 calories.

Hope this helps. I do believe that too many people try to go for the quick fix, (even when they call it a lifestyle change). Slow and steady isn't as fun and exciting, but it is lasting and rewarding!
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I was at a crossroads in my life when i stumbled onto the app. I started cutting calories big time. I upped my excercise as much as possible and really pushed myself. I went and saw my doctor regularly. I have been at 1200 calories for awhile. Some days i will reach upwards of 1500. When i started i was at 372 pounds and in the worst shape I have ever been in my life. Today I am approaching high school weight and should in the next few weeks. I am actually eating day to day what i feel like i could eat the rest of my life. I don't eat fast food or crap anymore and it is really unbelievable how i have changed. Make sure you talk to your doctor first and get a good multi vitamin, I also take extra potassium as well.
  • ianh5979
    ianh5979 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I started weighing 250 pounds with a calorie intake set at 2050, i am down 34 pounds in 110 days and calorie intake set by site now down to 1980, it does work keep at it!!
  • ianh5979
    Options
    I started weighing 250 pounds with a calorie intake set at 2050, i am down 34 pounds in 110 days and calorie intake set by site now down to 1980, it does work keep at it!!
    Duplicate post sorry
  • impudentputz
    Options
    Ok, I will do as you suggest and stick with what MFP says... I guess i should do some more information gathering. It just seems like A WHOLE LOT of calories. I understand everyone is different but it just seems that there are alot of people who are sticking to a diet around the 1200 mark and here i am eating almost twice that... just didnt sound right.
  • ianh5979
    Options
    Ok, I will do as you suggest and stick with what MFP says... I guess i should do some more information gathering. It just seems like A WHOLE LOT of calories. I understand everyone is different but it just seems that there are alot of people who are sticking to a diet around the 1200 mark and here i am eating almost twice that... just didnt sound right.
    Most of the people on 1200 calories are the ladies on the site and has been pointed out earlier they have a lower allowance than the men
  • impudentputz
    Options
    Fair enough, its clear that you guys have a better grasp on this stuff than i have at the moment. So its back to what MFP says. Thanks for all the feedback!!!
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Well done on your acheivement you must be made up.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

That doesn't mean that the people eating at the 1200 level are correct.
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    Yep. I'm at 1200 calories. But I'm 5'2" and 174 lbs. My body naturally burns about 1860 calories per day right now. 1200 gives me a deficit of 660 calories per day which equates to a loss of roughly 1.3 lbs. per week. If you ate so few calories you would get sick and weak and your body would stop functioning properly.

Plus, 1200 is the absolute *minimum* for healthy intake for the average adult.

I'm glad you've reconsidered. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

its only gererally women, who are either quite small to begin with (i only wanted to lose 14 pounds) or have set their weight loss goal set to 2lbs per week who get 1200 cals.

you're a man, so you should be eating more than the 1200. MFP knows its stuff, i would suggest you need to follow its guidelines for at least 6 weeks before you decide its not right for you.
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Eat them all and enjoy because as your weight goes down so will your calorie allowance. Had a look at your food diary and there is a lot of processed food there which doesn't help the cause alot. Try a few more fresh foods. Good Luck with your weight loss journey.
  • SarahC75
    Options
    What have you got down as your "normal daily activities"? If it's anything above sedentary, MFP already accounts for the calories you will burn doing said activities. This may be why it seems a little high :)
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I know the topic has been mostly about the total calories but what is also so important is the TYPE of calories you eat. So please try to keep it as natural as possible. Stay away from refined (fake) carbs..too much sugar and eat lean meats, veggies, whole grains and good fruits. Watch your beverages also. Sometimes we ten to underestimate the calories/sugar in beverages. 2000 calories of junk food LOL will not get you the same health benefits of 2000 of healthy eating. Good luck.