Work Stress

Options
Is anyone else struggling with balancing work and wellness?

Ugh. I don’t know what to do anymore. One step forward, three steps back.

Replies

• garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I had a rough job for 12 years plus horrid commute. I have now been working a job with great commute. It started out great but every 3 months they keep making significant changes. I was bringing work home but learned that was wrecking my mind and body. I decided my mental health is most important. So, I am behind on work but mentally healthier. The stress is real but trying to be disciplined in not allo6the job to take over my life like the last job.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,723 Member
    Options
    One of the things I TRULY thought about as I got older was having a job that I ENJOYED and didn't make me feel as if what I put in sacrificed what I still needed to do for myself. My management jobs were stressful and I actually hated doing them, but money was my concern then. After I paid everything off and became debt free at 40, I chose to be a Personal Trainer full time because of how happy I felt doing it. Since I don't need as much money now, I LOVE MY JOB and stress is pretty much non existent.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mikeyrowlands
    mikeyrowlands Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm going through this at the moment, constantly tired/drained, when I get home I just can't relax fully. I've just come back from a week off and felt refreshed on Tuesday, only to feel exactly the same again on Tuesday night.

I don't mind 'stress' in the sense of workloads, crisis management or difficult decisions but not enjoying what I'm doing or the decisions I'm making just mean that I'm burning my time.

I termed it this week as emptying my cup (the opposite of the more positive of doing things you love). I'm having to refil my cup daily and I just don't have the energy for it.

I'm trying to work on my health and finances. Other than that, I need to find something I actually enjoy doing, we only get one go around after all.
  • emgracewrites
    emgracewrites Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    All the time. Just got out of a meeting where my boss guilt tripped me for taking vacation during the busy week of the month. Mind you I haven’t taken a full week off work in about 2 years. And she’s going on vacation during the busy week next month.

Everything always seems to be my fault. Certainly not my supervisor or the program manager for assigning more work than one person can possibly do.

I’m looking for something better but can’t get anyone to hire me, which adds to my overall depression/stress related to my job. This then drives my chronic health condition into overdrive so my physical health suffers too.
  • evileyefirefly
    evileyefirefly Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    So while I have a job that's pretty good overall, my stress/barriers come from the commute. I'm in the car anywhere from 2-4hr a day at least 3x a week. The longer commute days just kill any motivation I have to workout or really do anything other than get home and relax. I leave for work at/before 5am, and won't get home(or to the gym) until 5pm or so on average. Really makes finding time to do the things I want/need to do a difficult balancing act. The easiest thing to drop is working out/diet.
  • mikeyrowlands
    mikeyrowlands Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Totally get the commute thing, mines only an hour but it's a busy bus and I hate it at the end of the day when I'm already drained.

Also toxic workplace behaviour is just not worth putting up with. You shouldn't feel guilty for taking holidays. I'm getting dealt a bit of blame culture at the moment and it's so jarring as I work hard and make decisions for the right reasons.

Life is way to short to be spending it doing these things, hating the 2 hour commute or dealing with toxic nonsense at work.

Re the commute, something that kind of worked for me is to avoid scrolling shorts or social media, I carry a field notes book and try and scribble in that or read, that way it's something a little more fulfilling instead of losing the time altogether.

What do you think the barrier to being hired is? Sometimes its a numbers game, if there are a lot of applicants, you have to get shortlisted, then invited in, then beat other applicants in the interview process. Eventually you cab het in front of the right person for the right job and you nail it.

Are there any positive steps you can take to improve your odds, get help with your CV and identifying your skills/strengths, interview techniques or job searches. Doing something positive to influence it might help with the mental health side.