Why don't I burn as many calories as others?

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
I am doing Turbo Fire, and there are several of us in a group on FB. They have been posting their daily calorie burns, especially for the HIIT workouts. They burn about 10 calories/minute, while I am only burning like 7 calories/minute.

My guess is maybe it's because my resting heart rate is in the 50s-low 60s. Plus, I've been exercising for a while, so maybe I'm in pretty good shape???

Even when I bust my butt, I don't burn that much.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    what you said is exactly why. and the smaller you are, the less cals you burn! so its good that you're gettign smaller, but rubbish cos you dont have as many exercise cals to eat back!!
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    If you are in better shape then you will burn less as a rule. What HRM are you using compared to them. That alone can make a difference too.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Age, weight and fitness level are all factors
  • wensweeney
    wensweeney Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What is HRM?:smile:
  • 1goodymom67
    Options
    Sadly, the less you weigh the less cals you burn. I have g-friend that weighs 125 and she only burns about 50 cals for a 1/2 hour of running or someithing like that. Your body is working so effeciently that you don't have to burn as many cals.
  • kimsciolino
    kimsciolino Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    HI! I am on week 17 of turbo fire. And I am using a HRM that is a watch not very expensive like $40.
    I am 40 yrs old 5'2.5 and had a starting weight of 172lbs.
    I usually burn between 600-1,100 calories.
    I do bust my but and I check my heartrate approx. every 5 minutes during the workout. My heartrate averages between
    158-185 throughout the workout. I have noticed that recently my heartrate has been on the lower end of the spec. Which I believe it should be 17 weeks in and 15lbs lighter. Plus I do agree that age is a factor.
    When I started I could not even jump tuck or do the burpees now I find them pretty easy.
    Once I am done with Turbo Fire I am moving on to Insanity.. (But I will probably add some turbo fire to my routine cause I LOVE TURBO FIRE)
    Hope this helps out some, Good Luck.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    HI! I am on week 17 of turbo fire. And I am using a HRM that is a watch not very expensive like $40.
    I do bust my but and I check my heartrate approx. every 5 minutes during the workout. My heartrate averages between
    158-185 throughout the workout. I have noticed that recently my heartrate has been on the lower end of the spec. Which I believe it should be 17 weeks in and 15lbs lighter. Plus I do agree that age is a factor.
    When I started I could not even jump tuck or do the burpees now I find them pretty easy.
    Once I am done with Turbo Fire I am moving on to Insanity.. (But I will probably add some turbo fire to my routine cause I LOVE TURBO FIRE)

I would have to say your calorie burn is not being calculated correctly....

Because I'm 41, 5'7", 201.6 pounds.... and I only burn on average 10 or 11 calories per minute for Turbo Fire classes, or 10-15 calories (depending how much effort I put into it) for the HIIT classes.... and I wear a KiFit (UK BodyMedia Fit)

As a rule, heavier/taller people burn more calories....
  • fiabka
    fiabka Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    What is HRM?:smile:

Heart Rate Monitor
    :smile:
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I know for me, I have a pretty lousy metabolism, and I have to work much harder to burn than many other people. I use a BodyBugg to be as precise as possible with my burn, and I'm often disappointed when I sync it to my computer. I'm not sure how accurate a HRM is, but the BodyBugg claims 90% accuracy, which I'm inclined to believe, as I've had my BMR tested in a medical setting.
  • Amy_B
    Options
    If you are in better shape then you will burn less as a rule. What HRM are you using compared to them. That alone can make a difference too.
    I know one of my friends who's also doing TF has the same HRM as me since I recommended it to her. :smile:
  • Amy_B
    Options

I would have to say your calorie burn is not being calculated correctly....

Because I'm 41, 5'7", 201.6 pounds.... and I only burn on average 10 or 11 calories per minute for Turbo Fire classes, or 10-15 calories (depending how much effort I put into it) for the HIIT classes.... and I wear a KiFit (UK BodyMedia Fit)

As a rule, heavier/taller people burn more calories....

I think it's odd that I don't burn as many calories during the HIIT workouts as I do with the Fire workouts. I know before when I was doing the hybrid of CLX and TF (this is the first time I've done just TF), I lost the most weight during the HIIT phase (weeks 9+, I think).
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Age, weight and fitness level are all factors

This. weight and fitness are huge factors in this. When I was 30 pounds heavier I was burning 250 calories more per hour per comparable exercise. Now, I push harder, my hr is lower, and I burn a crap ton less. My resting hr is still very low 46 - 49.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add that gender is a factor as well. All else being equal, a guy will burn more calories than a gal.