Can’t eat enough calories when ill

Options
Hi, so I’ve a raging migraine, I’m on day 2. My problem is, I can’t stomach eating, I managed about 300 calories yesterday and roughly the same so far today, is this going to effect me long term?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,515 Member
    Options
    Nah, it's just a few days. Do try to drink enough though if you can as dehydration can make headaches worse.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    I had migraines for years and I get what you mean. I finally had one that lasted for days and I couldn't even keep water down. That's when I went to the hospital and finally got a diagnosis and treatment.

The migraines didn't go away until I went through menopause. I hope you fare better.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    What's your goal? Are you trying to lose weight? If so, I wouldn't worry about it with respect to your weight.

If you're trying to gain weight, it will affect it, and that's an extra reason to seek medical help, if that's an option for you. In the latter case, especially if you don't have access to medical care or you've reached a dead end on that front, can you stomach getting your calories in liquid form? Even if you can't do that while you're actually suffering from the migraine, you might find it easier to get extra calories in liquid form (meal supplement/replacement, protein drink, milk shake, soups with cream and cheese) when you feel better, to make up for the low calorie day.
  • n9bwyrssvt
    n9bwyrssvt Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Luckily I am trying to loose weight, but was just concerned that continually having such low calorie days would throw me out when I got back to eating normally.
    Unfortunately I’m going through a bad spell with my migraines at the moment so it’s not a one of, my meds aren’t working as they were so may have to go back to the docs.