Embarassed

Options
Okay so the gym I go to is crawling with guys in the weight room, I really want to start strength training, but because of my size I'm embarassed to go in there, I don't know if I should just suck it up, or just do something at home, I don't have much at home to work with, some bands and 5# dumb bells, suggestions?

Replies

• sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    Okay so the gym I go to is crawling with guys in the weight room, I really want to start strength training, but because of my size I'm embarassed to go in there, I don't know if I should just suck it up, or just do something at home, I don't have much at home to work with, some bands and 5# dumb bells, suggestions?
  • aml0484
    aml0484 Posts: 425
    Options
    Honestly I would just go for it. I go to a small gym and all the weights are on one side of the room and tredmills, bikes, etc are on the other. Alot of times there are some pretty thin buff people using them but I can tell you I have never felt judged going to that side to do my weight training.
  • sarabear
    Options
    That's what I needed to hear, I'm always thinking, they are going to be like omg what is she doing over here. But I guess everyone has to start somewhere?
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    Don't let the guys intimidate you. Everyone has to start somewhere. Just jump right in and start lifting those weights. Do what you can do and go on from there. :smile: Remember it is your exercise time so do what you want to do.
  • whitneyk
    whitneyk Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm using P90X from Beachbody, which I can do at home. All you need is a pull-up bar, weights and a yoga mat. It's really intense, but a great workout program.
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I used to feel that way, too!! But now it's sort of a personal victory to be able to go into the guys' section and work out. Often, I can lift more with my legs than they can (and that feels GREAT)

Go have fun :smile: you'll love it, and let the buff-ness inspire you and keep you entertained!
  • sarabear
    Options
    I used to feel that way, too!! But now it's sort of a personal victory to be able to go into the guys' section and work out. Often, I can lift more with my legs than they can (and that feels GREAT)

Go have fun :smile: you'll love it, and let the buff-ness inspire you and keep you entertained!

:laugh: buffness!
  • chantybear
    chantybear Posts: 343
    Options
    Just get in there, they will respect you for trying, not because your weight.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem - but I found that if you just hold your head up and go for it they are pretty cool -and you get a lot of help if you ask a question. Just take a deep breath and go for it - I'm sure you will find the experience rewarding!
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    honestly, you should not be embarrassed at all!! if you just go over and grab some weights, no one will think anything of it!! if you have questions about how an exercise goes, ask someone..usually people who are lifting weights are more than willing to help out another fellow weight lifter!! you're all working towards the same goal of being strong and healthy, and at one time, everyone who has lifted weights has been a beginner!!!! :) good luck!
  • sarabear
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm feeling a bit more couragious, tomorrow I AM going to lift! I work late tonight so Wed is my off day.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    As long as you are seriously working out, nobody will give you a hard time. You can even ask some of them for pointers. I have over 100 lbs to lose and when I go to the gym, I am busting my butt. Everyone there wishes me a good morning and shows me respect. I really appreaciate it because my biggest fear was that they would look at me like I was an outsider because of my size
  • snowsflake
    snowsflake Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    In all honesty most of the guys are so into their workouts that they don't pay attention to anyone else. I know what it's like to be the "big girl" at the gym, but I get my butt there and work it! Intimidation will go away as soon as you conquer the fear...happy lifting! :)
  • mgullette
    mgullette Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    In all honesty most of the guys are so into their workouts that they don't pay attention to anyone else.

I agree with that! If I saw you in there, I'd think, that girl is brave. You can do it! Or just put in your headphones and jam out. No problems!
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    all of the guys at my gym have "man dates" where they will all go watch the other one lift and then talk for an hour and then the other one will lift, and they talk....rarely get THAT much done.
    it's HILARIOUS.

but they're nice and helpful because they "know everything about lifting" haha

don't let them intimidate you, just do your workout and they'll do theirs.
    :drinker: :drinker:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have anything to worry about at all! The benefits far outweigh the feelings of embarassment etc.

I agree, they'll be so into their own muscles that they won't really care. :bigsmile:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    suck it up and do it at the gym you have just as much right to be there as anyone thats in super shape..besides how will you get in super shape if you let others intimidate you...You will be surprised that most people at the gym have a positive look on people that are trying to get in shape regardless of how big or small someone may be......good luck and once u go once u will love it! give it a try plus im sure your gym peers will offer you advice. trust me they all werent always fit and in shape....:drinker: