How do you feel about losing weight slowly?

Options
stegeem
stegeem Posts: 143 Member
It's going to take me at least two years.

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,385 Member
    Options
    I’d think “awesome! You’ve lost the weight you wanted to!”
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,565 Member
    Options
    It’s easier on your body, and you’ll very likely stick with maintenance once you arrive there.

Unless you have a health issue where faster weight loss would be more beneficial (pre-diabetes, or bad knees, etc) there’s no reason to choose to go fast.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Slow>Fast
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,594 Member
    edited May 4
    Options
    No context, since we don’t know your basic info, particularly how much you have to lose.

In general….

Going slower gives you time to learn new habits and learn things about your body. Those who lose slower also tend to maintain the loss for much longer periods.

All you have to do is read the boards regularly to see that people who get off to a jackrabbit start struggle, and disappear real quick. Or they lose quickly, and are back in six months or a year, posting “back again” because they learned nothing, returned to old habits, and usually gained it all back and then some.

It took me 30+ years to gain the extra hundred pounds. It took a year to lose the first 80, another six months to lose the next 17, but the next six to realize my body in late 50’s was waaaaaay different than early 20’s, and that I had overshot and actually needed to gain some back.

I didn’t settle in to an acceptable weight til two years or so in.

That’s what I mean about learning your body as well as new habits.

And don’t worry. Even if you lose at a slow rate, the changes will be staggering, noticeable, and pleasing anyway, depending on how much you have to lose.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    stegeem wrote: »
    It's going to take me at least two years.

Slow loss is sustainable loss. This is a lifelong endeavor, not a few month race to the finish line (cause there is no finish line).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    Unless there's urgency because of a serious health condition, I think slow loss is a great plan. Others have explained why.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,332 Member
    Options
    One great thing about going slow is that every now and then, things may speed up. You might have a month with a large loss mixed in.

Also - don't be discouraged or frustrated if your slow loss has a pause or you even gain a bit. Just stick with the program. Develop those good habits that will stick with you forever.

No matter how long it takes, the key is to get started and then stick to it. Warren Miller used to say, "If you don't do it this year, you'll be a year older when you do." A wise person said about bonsai and that applies to weight management, "The best time to start is ten years ago; the second best time is right now."
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Many times, the faster you lose, the faster you put the weight back on. That mindset can be of the "Job done so now I can go back to my previous eating habits". Slow and you've more or less developed habits that will allow you to not rebound back to your old habits
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    656059b6gity.png