Not losing weight.....:( :(

Options
So I started dieting about three weeks ago....
It started off great! I lost about 4 pounds in the first little while. But for the past week and a half or so, I haven't lost a thing! I am eating very strictly 1200 calories and working out about an hour a day. It is getting kind of frustrating. This morning I had even gained a tiny bit of weight. :sad: Does any one know why this would be happening? I am 20, so I feel like my metabolsim shouldnt be THAT slow. :p
Thanks guys! xoxo

Replies

• asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    It'd be easier if we could what you're eating on a daily basis. It's not only how much you eat but also what you eat. :-)
    Could also be: not eating enough, underestimating portions, Time of the month, water weight if you eat high-sodium foods...
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Maybe if your being extra active your not eating enough. I would try slightly eating a little more maybe all healthy stuff though. It will pay off eventually. I can gain 6lbs in a day dont weigh yourself too much either. Once a week at most.
  • lottywood
    lottywood Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am gaving the same situation. Its so annoying!

I would like to see what people have to say also.
  • talaluna
    Options
    Are you doing the same workout every day? Eating the same thing every day? Either one of those things will keep you plateaued after the first dip in your weight.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? If not, you could be in the dreaded 'starvation mode', where you can stall and even put weight on. Just aim for the net calorie figure, rather than just the food one.
  • amaples1978
    amaples1978 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I lost 5 lbs in the first week, and then nothing for 2 weeks. It sucked. I almost gave up. I just kept going and on the third week, I finally started dropping and since then I have had a few blips, but consistently going down. I agree, DO NOT WEIGH YOURSELF EVERYDAY! You will give yourself a complex. Once a week, strictly. Also, give yourself a high energy workout, I found in the early days doing classes helped me because I couldn't just just coast for an hour. I did kick boxing and Zumba. Good luck!!!!! Don't give up no matter what. You are on the right path!
  • jlb571
    jlb571 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with other posts. Track what exercises you are doing, and eat according to what the diary says you should have. If you work out and gain 300 calories, you can have a heartier lunch or an extra snack. If you are working out that much, and only giving your body 1200 calories, your body can easily think that it's in starvation mode and will hold on to anything that you have and slow your metabolism in an effort to survive. Remember - it's healthiest to lose about 1-2 lbs. a week...Slow and steady wins the race.

Good luck to you!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could schedule a few recovery days into your week. Also, there is the possibility you aren't eating enough. If your muscles aren't properly fueled, recovery will take longer and endurance will suffer.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself once a week on the same day as close to the same time each week.

Weighing daily is going to make you crazy and isn't an accurate picture of your progress.
  • kcwonder
    kcwonder Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yep, the issue could be a host of many things. However, I suspect it's caloric intake. If you are eating 1200 calories (not 1200 "net" calories), then it is possible you aren't eating enough. After an hour workout depending on your workout, you could be burning anywhere from 400-1000 calories an hour. After subtracting the amount of calories burned from your caloric intake, your "net" calories might not be enough.

If it is 1200 "net" calories, then it could be anything from not giving yourself enough time between weigh-ins to what time of day you are weighing yourself.
  • stephanie8625
    stephanie8625 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    you need to eat your exercise calories BACK --- your body needs food, or else it will go into starvation mode and will hold onto anything that you already have in your body. You might also want to try an bump up your calorie intake, especially if you are exercising almost everyday. Your body needs fuel to burn, if it does not have it, you will stay in starvation mode. Good Luck on your journey !!

10344221.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • sryan8408
    Options
    It depends on how much you have to lose and by your picture it doesn't look like you have much at all to lose. It always takes the longest to lose the dreaded "last 10 lbs." Your first 4 lbs were probably water weight, Make sure youre eating your exercise calories. Not doing the same workout or eating the same foods every day. It takes your body 21 days or exactly 3 weeks to get used to a routine and not work as hard to burn calories or fat. Make sure you drink tons of water because if its due to water retention or high sodium levels the extra water will help you let go of the extra water (doesn't sound like a solution but it will work).
  • Jojokayn
    Jojokayn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I feel so much like you do! :grumble: Just keep working and don't be down on yourself. I had to stop weighing myself every other day....was about to go nuts!!! :noway: Stay positive and give yourself credit for making that change to be healthy! Take care and be blessed!!!:heart:
  • mvandommelen
    Options
    I just went through that, what i had to do was look at my carbs. I never went over calories, but my carbs were high. I cut my carbs down to only 150 a day or lower and started losing weight again! Just something to think about :)
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories? you may need to eat more -When you exercise this puts you at a deficit. It seems like a lot of people do better when they eat their recommended allowance PLUS their exercise calories. oh and water , water, water!!!

So now we can figure out where your goal should be.
    Go to the tools section and figure out your BMI:

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • AngelOiCu812
    AngelOiCu812 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You do know that mussel weighs more than fat so this is ok keep it up and it will turn around slowly
  • supa57
    Options
    I am in the same situation. I am exercising and not eating the extra calories snacking on only healthy foods and measuring my 3 main meals. Very frustrating!!! Almost makes you want to give up....
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You do know that mussel weighs more than fat so this is ok keep it up and it will turn around slowly

First, she didn't build enough muscle in three weeks for it to make a difference on the scale.

Second, most weight gain seen at the beginning of an exercise routine is water being retained as the muscles repair themselves.

Third, you will likely NOT see losses every week, even if you do everything right. Some people do, but most do not.

Fourth, as I said before, WEIGH ONLY ONCE A WEEK. Weight fluctuates. It's normal.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    it just happens!! your weight will go up and down!! you are burning fat, and building muscle!! some days you eat a little more, some days you eat a little less!! do not cry over just a few small pounds that have come back. besides, you will work it off!! you've only been at this for a few weeks!!!
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I am in the same situation. I am exercising and not eating the extra calories snacking on only healthy foods and measuring my 3 main meals. Very frustrating!!! Almost makes you want to give up....

You should be eating your calories back. That's the way MFP works.