To lose 1.5 kg a week is 800 Calories a day okay with exercise?

Options
Hi I’m a wrestler and need to lose around 4 kg until June 2. So I have 3 weeks and 6 days. I’m training hard so will 800 calories a day help me lose it. Thanks

Answers

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Start with 1,000 deficit and increase zone 2 cardio like walking. See how you get on after 1-2 weeks.

Assuming this is for some event, better to make sure you're well fueled and hydrated in the final day or two, rather than still in a large deficit.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    If I only ate 800 calories per day, I would sure lose it! lol (My mind, not just bodyweight.)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,437 Member
    Options
    Eating only 800 calories a day? Yup, that'll help you lose some muscle and quite a bit of fat over the next 3 weeks and 6 days, probably impair your workout performance, and very likely sap your energy.

If you want to lose a little over a kg of fat a week, you need a little over 1100 calories daily deficit, i.e., 1100 below your maintenance calories. Unless you're very small (short, low weight class), it's unlikely that your calorie needs to maintain your weight are as little as 1900-2000 calories (1100-ish + 800) daily, with a heavy training schedule. (My maintenance calories are higher than that, as a non-big l'il ol' lady, with moderate exercise and a sedentary lifestyle . . . not that one person's results predict another's. But statistics, a more reliable predictor, suggest a shorter-than-average light-ish sedentary male would have maintenance calories around 2000 daily. We don't know your size, but you're telling us you're not sedentary.)

On the other hand, if you mean an 800 calorie deficit (800 below whatever your maintenance calories are), then arithmetic suggests you'd lose roughly 2.8 kg in 3 weeks and 6 days, which is less than what you're hoping for.

Does your coach know you're doing this? What does your coach advise?

I'd suggest you be a little more scientific in planning your calorie goal (and a little less risk-taking if that first interpretation is correct).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others that your performance will suffer if you eat too little/under-fuel yourself.

However, if you start a keto diet today, you may lose enough water weight to lose that 4 kg / 8.8 pounds in less than a month.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,740 Member
    Options
    The real question is the time between weight in and actual event. Keto and carb loading after may manipulate water weight enough for a good half of that weight if there exists sufficient time to recover

However

The reputation of wrestling generating future weight control problems by triggering weight loss and regain cycles to make weight categories is there and probably fully deserved.

Bodies do not benefit by these cycles. And the long term price is there. Same applies to losing weight for the beach vacation or the wedding--both issues that come up

My off hand evaluation is that if there is enough in this to rise to the level of risking health---scholarship of more than a nominal value, National team inclusion level, things like that--then the OP would already have the unhealthy advice they require around them.

Beyond that: it not worth the health risk. Your future self will not be happy with you.

High protein (20g satchel for 80 Cal, so your first ~500 Cal for 120g) may keep you alive if you do stupid things
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Do you want advice with or without muscle loss?
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,531 Member
    edited May 6
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    Do you want advice with or without muscle loss?
    If we assume several pounds of that 9 can be water, I don't think they need to worry too much about muscle loss, if they are still lifting frequently and getting high protein.

The bigger issue imo is to not come into an event depleted. That can bring health risks.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Bad idea bro. You’ll totally F yourself. If anything dehydrate temporarily for weigh in then re hydrate.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    I did some quick guesses on a TDEE calculator. You’d have to be around 80 pounds and 3’ 4” tall to safely consume only 800 calories a day while being a physically active athlete.

That would mean your goal weight is around 71 pounds. A good weight for a 9 year old boy.

I’m guessing you’re not a 9 year old?

I don’t want to be snarky. But I also want to impress on you how severe and potentially dangerous your planned calorie deficit is.