Eating habits While Traveling

Options
riesettk
riesettk Posts: 6 Member
I am a Type 2 diabetic, preparing to go to Disney for a few days. This is my first trip since being diagnosed last month, and I'm worried about making good choices, but willing to give myself grace, knowing that I will get back on track once I return. Any suggestions for healthy eateries? Also, I find the website easier to navigate than the app as far as seeing the entirety of my daily progress, numbers-wise. I may not log my days until I return, and can do it on my desktop. Do you ever have days you don't track closely? I am still navigating my way, this diagnosis and fitness app are still new to me.

Replies

• AmyDahlTorres
    AmyDahlTorres Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    If you're going to Disneyland, the Galaxy's Edge (Star Wars) has a really delicious Endorian roasted chicken salad with roasted cauliflower and butternut squash. Highly recommend.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    I'm not a Disney-ite, so with apologies I have no advice there.

But yes, I do have days when I track more loosely, and occasionally not at all. (I try not to do that as a way to hide overages from myself! :D It's more like days where I'd be estimating wildly anyway, or things are super-busy.) That's in maintenance, though. I was a little more strict about logging while losing in the early months of maintenance, partly because I knew I needed to figure out my own calorie needs based on personal logging data, because I'm one of the oddballs for whom MFP's estimate (and my good brand/model fitness tracker) are both quite far off in their estimates.

Even on days when I don't log my food in MFP online, I do tend to have a jotted-down list of what I ate. (When I do log, I use that as a source document.) Even having the handwritten scribbles helps me avoid wishful thinking about what I have/haven't eaten. ;)

I do think (after a year of loss & 8 years since of maintenance) that what we do on our many routine days is much more important than what we might do during rare week of a special vacation. In context of your weight loss success so far - 30 pound down is great! - it sounds like you know what you're doing. I think you'll be fine logging when you get back, logging approximately for things that you'll need to estimate, etc., as long as you hop back on your regular healthy habits once back at home.

Have a great trip!
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Snap pics of foods to log later, and make choices each meal from what's available. When traveling, we stop at grocery store for breakfast and lunches when we're not at the actual parks, and eat dinner out. Have fun :)
  • willboywonder
    willboywonder Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You are allowed to take outside food and nonalcoholic beverage items into the park, provided they are not in glass containers. Having a clear backpack will help get you in more quickly. To the extent possible, try to take your own food in the park with you. You can get a clear backpack from Amazon or Walmart for about $10. If you don't want to do that, view the menus online so you can be prepared ahead of time and plan your meals before you go. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/#/reservations-accepted,counter-service,quick-service-kiosk,quick-service-coffee,food-court/
  • willboywonder
    willboywonder Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Also, log into My Fitness Pal via your browser on your phone if it easier than using the App. That way you will be able to log things on the go in real time. I find when I try to log things later, I always forget some things or inaccurately capture what I ate.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!