Weight loss/maintain during travelling

Options
Hello,
I have always (or let's say since the last 20 years) been around the same weight. I lost quite a bit of weight during covid (lock down) but now with my work fully back and a lot of travelling for work I am really struggling. I spend about 10 weeks /year in hotels and work places, without a chance to prepare my own foods, depending on restaurant food and food provided at our fieldwork station... Over the last 2 years I put on 10 kg- which I am trying to lose again and then maintain. Any ideas?

Answers

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    Putting on 10kg in 2 years implies that you've been eating on average roughly about 105 calories daily above your weight maintenance calories. That's the calorie equivalent of one tablespoon of peanut butter or a big blop of creamy salad dressing. Not both, one of those. Or a slice of hearty bread. Or maybe a bit less than half a Snickers candy bar. Of course, it can be more about an epic meal once a week that adds an extra 735 calories. One of those bib milk shakes with the add-ins has that many calories. A couple of the Starbucks sweet coffee drinks a week would get a person to the same total.

It's surprising how little surplus it takes. Of course, getting just a bit more sedentary than when we were younger, without reducing eating, can have the same result.

I suspect you don't want to take two years to lose it, so you'd want to eat maybe 550 or so calories under your maintenance calories to lose half a kilo per week. (I wouldn't suggest faster, if you're only 10kg overweight, and slower might even be better.) MFP will estimate that calorie level for you.

If you don't want to calorie count, what we used to do in the olden days of my earlier adulthood ;) was just cut back: Skip dessert, foods without creamy sauces, cut down on portion sizes, choose leaner cuts of meat, eat more veggies and less of something higher in fat/sugar, put minimal or no butter or dressing or gravy/sauce on things, use mustard instead of mayo, etc., etc., etc.

Without knowing more about your context, it's hard to give more specific advice.

In general, the restaurant advice is to avoid rich stuff with creamy sauces, go for grilled or broiled meats rather than fried, skip or at least greatly reduce fried appetizers/sides/mains, etc. When possible, look at the restaurant menu online before going there, and know what you plan to order. Many restaurants will alter dishes within reason, too, such as serving sauces or dressings on the side, leaving off cheese on top, etc. It doesn't hurt to ask, politely of course.

If you can fit in workouts or walks while you're on the road, that could potentially help a bit, too.

If you calorie count at home, for at least a while during the 42 weeks you're at home, that will give you a good idea what's calorie dense, and which higher calorie items are more important to you for nutrition, satiation or general happiness. That insight will be useful when it comes to keeping things more reasonable when traveling.

In fact, if you're at home 42 weeks and on the road 10, you could probably accomplish the whole weight loss phase at home, and just keep within reasonable range of weight-maintenance calories when traveling. What we do most of the time matters a whole lot more than what we do occasionally, and it sounds like you're at home around 80% of the time.

Truly, this doesn't have to be some onerous, odious thing . . . at least not in my opinion. (And yes, I did lose weight, around 50 pounds of it, and have been at a healthy weight for around 8 years since.)

You can do this, with some patience and persistence. Yes, the travel schedule potentially makes it harder. Not impossible, though. If you analyze the situation and come up with some strategies - not catastrophize about it - I'm betting you can make good progress.

Best wishes!