I love cantaloupe but not enough to die...

Options
Anyone else complety avoiding this wonderful food because of the deaths?

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/29/health/cantaloupe-deaths/

Replies

• aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I love fruit but cantaloupe is one fruit that I never developed a taste for.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Oops, better stay away from cantaloupe and stick to honeydew!
    They're no longer in season where I live so I don't buy them anyway...
  • ziggylove
    Options
    I've never cared for it. But yeah, now is a good time to avoid it.. 8|
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I hadn't heard about that, thanks for posting!
  • astul
    astul Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I adore cantaloupe and thank god i live in the Uk...thanks for the heads up tho.
  • jmhII
    jmhII Posts: 11
    Options
    Cantaloupe?
    mmm I'll take my chances.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I never buy it. I only ever had it when it was fresh from my dad's garden.
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Everyone in my house loves its.. but, I've been avoiding it the last few weeks and will continue to do so for a while. If it were just for me and my husband, I would still buy it and just try to be extra cautious with it, but not worth the risk with the kids. I'll stick to more inseason local items. Which is what I try to do anyway.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    cantalope, blech, that's one food that I really don't understand the love for. My son is allergic, and I'm okay with that.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I never liked the stuff. But my coworker packed some for lunch yesterday and after we talked she decided against eating it. Health scares regarding food are serious business and shouldn't be taken lightly.

(says the guy who had 3 turkey burgers that should have been recalled... I didn't know yet!)
  • jassygirlx
    Options
    Mmm I love cantaloupe! I saw this article yesterday.. and even though I am in Canada.. I hesitated buying this delicious melon the other day because of the article..But I don't think I'll stop eating it. It's one of my favourite fruits next to frozen grapes.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Yep, I am for now. And it makes me sad.

:sad: I actually had to throw out a (probably) perfectly good canteloupe because I have no clue where my local Kroger gets their's from.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Im sure where I work, Executive Chef will be rejecting the canteloupe from our food vendors...
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Anyone else complety avoiding this wonderful food because of the deaths?

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/29/health/cantaloupe-deaths/

No, but I don't buy produce from commercial stores................I get my canteloupe from local Amish farmers at our weekly farmers market.

I believe between the re-call of these Canteloupes and the Tyson recall on Chicken that was on my morning news today - this should be more and more of a wake up call to start finding local and farmed sources for meats, eggs, dairy and produce.

That means eating what is in season and local to your area. We are getting ready to lose all the fruits and most vegetables for the winter, but I will enjoy the ones that are in season at the time.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Luckily I do not like cantaloupe...but that's crazy!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I don't care what anyone says, I scrub all my fruits with soap and water.