How do you permanently regulate hormones?

Options
I have PCOS and chronic irregular hormonal function. I have not been able to drop all my fupa in over a decade. I don’t give up easy but I still struggle with not having a regular period, bloating, weight gain and unwanted hair growth. What permanent changes will help my body gain and maintain healthy homeostasis?
Tagged:

Answers

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,515 Member
    Options
    And to add to what the lovely sollyn23I2 said: a calorie deficit still works for PCOS. Maybe your calorie needs are a bit lower, and hence you need to eat less than others at a similar weight, but your body is not holding onto weight.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    You may want to talk with someone that has experience with ketogenic diets, unfortunately most Dr's don't know much about it or any dietary intervention for that matter and the ketogenic diet can effect hormones significantly, as well as any medication you might be on, so it's important that you just don't jump into it haphazardly. Anyway, many women do find relief with the diet.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    You may want to talk with someone that has experience with ketogenic diets, unfortunately most Dr's don't know much about it or any dietary intervention for that matter and the ketogenic diet can effect hormones significantly, as well as any medication you might be on, so it's important that you just don't jump into it haphazardly. Anyway, many women do find relief with the diet.

I was going to suggest the same. Long ago I heard that PCOS should be treated like diabetes. More recently, I heard a doctor characterize PCOS as diabetes of the ovaries. Regulating carb intake like the Keto diet should help. Of course, as a male I have no direct experience, and I am just passing on what I have heard repeatedly about PCOS.