I need some cheerleaders!!

Options
OK, I need you guys to do what you do best, encourage & motivate me! I am running a 5k in Grapevine, TX on Saturday & I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want to place in the top 3 in my age group. I have been working very hard for several weeks doing everything I can to increase my speed. My goal is to run a 7:24 per minute pace, but that will put me at about 30 seconds per min. faster that my fastest 5k. I did it today in my training run, so I know it's possible. But doubts are creeping in and I'm starting to think of excuses for when I don't make it. NO STINKIN' THINKIN'! I keep trying to tell myself that, but it keeps creeping in. Help!!!

Replies

• thoughtbubble
    thoughtbubble Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You can do it! If you know you've done it before, why can't you do it again! Don't doubt your body, it will do whatever you tell it to do! Congrats on coming this far and good luck in your race!
  • losemybabyweight
    losemybabyweight Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    OK, I need you guys to do what you do best, encourage & motivate me! I am running a 5k in Grapevine, TX on Saturday & I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want to place in the top 3 in my age group. I have been working very hard for several weeks doing everything I can to increase my speed. My goal is to run a 7:24 per minute pace, but that will put me at about 30 seconds per min. faster that my fastest 5k. I did it today in my training run, so I know it's possible. But doubts are creeping in and I'm starting to think of excuses for when I don't make it. NO STINKIN' THINKIN'! I keep trying to tell myself that, but it keeps creeping in. Help!!!

WOW! That is awesome - you're an inspiration!

Listen, you did it this week - it is possible. Focus, keep your pace and look at how far you've come in just the last weeks?

I'm in the C25K program - week 5...so you are now an inpiration!
  • afindies
    afindies Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You'll do great- Just remember that you've done it before and you can do it again! Drink plenty of water the day before, get a good night's rest, and fuel your body right.

Good luck!!!
  • sherab69
    sherab69 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I know you can do it! You did it today so your race will be a piece of cake!
  • achtracy
    achtracy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You can do this!!! Knowing that you've already done it gives you an advantage! Replace the bad/negative thoughts as soon as they come! You will succeed!!! Best wishes!!!
  • ohsogoodfitness
    Options
    You must imagine what you want and think of it often. I read my goals 3 times a day. I feel it, I see it. The power of thought is the only fact in this equation called life. Rest and ponder on what your fears are really telling you. It might be that after this sucess you will do more, it might be that you fear time, whatever the case think it through. Then decide what you want. I then write down in present tense the day of what I'm accomplishing and then put it in practice. Only surround yourself with things that are positive. I'm referring to humor, love, friendship, hobbies etc. read inspirational stories. stay away from music, tv, movies that bring you down. I have really looked into this. I discovered if I really listened there weren't a whole lot of songs I enjoyed on the radio. Follow your soul, it will guide you. THoughts bring about a chemical reaction in the body. The body then looks for the senario to meet the chemicals. Your choice, suceess chemicals, or fear chemicals...etc. Hope this helps.
  • brynakrauth
    Options
    Hi Helma:
    You will naturally run faster in a race. But, what's most important is what you are thinking about while you're running. Keep your mind focused and happy. Think, "light, fast, easy". Have you read the book Born To Run? I highly recommend. Keep your mind happy. Have fun. Don't get too hung up on your speed and some how, I know this sounds strange, but some how you WILL run the best race of your life. Running fast is 90% mental and 10% fitness. Trust me and good luck!

Bryn
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I know that you will place 1st or 2nd in your age group -- and quite possibly in the top 3 overall! You've been pushing yourself to get your speed to this pace... when you are surrounded by other people racing all around you your adrenaline will kick in and you will NOT LET YOURSELF DOWN.
  • helma123
    helma123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! That's just what I needed! I WILL DO THIS!
  • losemybabyweight
    Options
    Soooo....how did it go???\
  • helma123
    helma123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hey all my wonderful friends! I did it! Just like you all told me I could! I placed FIRST in my age group. I actually pulled off a 6:56 pace! I've never done that in my life! Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your kind words.
  • losemybabyweight
    Options
    Hey all my wonderful friends! I did it! Just like you all told me I could! I placed FIRST in my age group. I actually pulled off a 6:56 pace! I've never done that in my life! Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your kind words.

That is incredible! WAY TO GO!
  • shaynes14
    shaynes14 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Wow! Comgratulations!!