Introduction

Options
Hi everyone I'm new here, any tips for low cal life would be amazing I'm hoping to drop 42lbs by September

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,348 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Start of September, or end? It's a difference between dropping 42# in 16 weeks (1300 calories BELOW maintenance each day) vs 20 weeks (1000 calories below maintenance)...those extra 300 calories per day can make or break some people. Either way, it's a very aggressive rate of loss; can be done, has been done, but requires a LOT of discipline.

Number one tip is accurate logging; if it goes in the mouth, it gets recorded, doesn't matter if it's a sip/nibble, if it's a condiment package on the side of the meal, remember the oil used in cooking, the sugar in your coffee, everything.

Number two tip is consistency; starving yourself for three days, binging on day four, starving three days, not only is hard on your body but can set you up for failure if you lose discipline and one binge day turns into a week before you have the willpower to go back to starving.

Number three tip: why the rush? You didn't gain the weight in three months; why rush to get rid of it in that time frame? We aren't here at MFP for fast-result diets, but for rest-of-our-life results. Slow it down, learn as you go, accept that there will be good weeks and "bad" weeks where your progress seems to reverse itself (it hasn't really, it's an illusion, IF you stick to what's been working).

You CAN lose the weight; you are in the right place for knowledge and support. Let's begin!
  • webbdood28
    webbdood28 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    Such good advice from nossmf up there!

I hope you're not on the "lose weight fast then get back to normal" path. That's the recipe for yo-yo weight loss followed by regain (usually with some extra pounds in the mix).

IMO, the Big Goal is not reaching a healthy weight, it's staying there long term, ideally forever. Losing weight at a sensibly slow pace helps with that. It gives a person an opportunity to experiment, find relatively-easy, practical new routine habits that lead to weight loss, then keep us at a healthy weight almost on autopilot after that.

Daily routine habits are a power tool for weight loss: We just need to find the ones that fit our personal preferences, strengths, challenges, and lifestyles. That will be individual. Other people can give us ideas to try, but not magic formulas.

Give it a think. You can do this. The best success is forever success . . . and I'm saying that from the perspective of someone who was overweight/obese for around 30 years, lost weight, and been at a healthy weight for around 8 years since. The quality of life at a healthy weight is So. Much. Better.

I'm cheering for you to succeed!