what workout will get the most burn

Options
What workout can I do that will give ne the most burn. I live in a small town. So we don't have all the fancy stuff.

Replies

• MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I have seen some crazy numbers by people who ride bikes or take spinning classes. Good luck!
  • shockrina
    Options
    For an hour on the elliptical I burn about 600 calories.
  • bwalters82
    Options
    What type of exercising do you like to do? Circuit training would be something to look into since you can do a whole workout without any equipment (i.e. push ups, crunches, lunges, squats, burpees, so on...).
  • fit4travels
    Options
    Try running up and down the stairs, running and swimming. They're all great exercises!
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Jogging. I burn about 1150 cals for an hour of running/jogging
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    For an hour on the elliptical I burn about 600 calories.

I so wish I could handle an hour on that machine!
  • msbinyard
    Options
    high intensity interval training always works for me.
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Running and tennis..rowing machines, elliptical all high cardio !
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Just walk! The faster you walk the more you burn --- and its free and even better in a small town!
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    What type of exercising do you like to do? Circuit training would be something to look into since you can do a whole workout without any equipment (i.e. push ups, crunches, lunges, squats, burpees, so on...).

Hi, new to this, just curious...what are burpees?
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    ZUMBA and biking are great and burn a high number of cals
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Well, without kit that would be gardening, walking, washing cars, calisthenics, stair jogging and jump rope. All excellent at burning calories and the mix should spread the love :)
  • kbcara
    kbcara Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Basketball...
  • coracbeck
    Options
    Swimming is out of control if you have access to a pool, elliptical is another big burner... if you are looking for a workout dvd that can be done at home - I would suggest TurboFire, after a lot of research the high intensity interval training sessions really put the smack down on you and lead to a long lasting burn!
  • I don't think it's the exercise, calorie/fat burn is dependent on your body and how your metabolism works. However, that being said, what others have said: running, swimming, cycling, and I would like to add Zumba, can give you large calorie burns. One thing to remember is that the intensity will determine your ultimate calorie burn. We all have different body types and I suggest you invest in a heart rate monitor and that way you can measure your activity that is specific to you. Heavier people burn more calories than lighter people doing the same exercise :)
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    What workout can I do that will give ne the most burn. I live in a small town. So we don't have all the fancy stuff.

The comeback answer is...what are you doing now? If the answer is nothing, then going to the mailbox will get you an awesome burn. If you have went to the mailbox, then walk to the end of the block. If you have done that, walk to the one traffic light on Main Street. If you have done that, then start running to those places. Are you beginning to see a pattern here? Small town and not having fancy stuff are excuses, not reasons.

Oh, you can also run to the next town over to visit the in-laws while carrying an apple pie, with baby strapped to your back, and wearing a Habit. Guaranteed maximum burn...BTW, most of this is in jest, but just keep moving and moving. The burn will come.
  • chunkyme
    chunkyme Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    For me turbo fire and zumba! And its super fun!
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Spinning, kickboxing or running.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,153 Member
    Options
    The best burns I have gotten in short periods of time were from Turbulence Training workouts by Craig Ballantyne. He has several body weight ones that require very little in the way of stuff, a chin-up bar and a stability ball, maybe a couple of other small things. Also I have gotten good burns from the stuff at Bodyweightcoach.com All of that costs money though as they are paid for programs. They also are very hard work. If I tried them when I started losing weight I probably would have given up. Cycling will give you a good burn and I do that a lot in the summer. Running is probably even better, but I don't run because I don't really like it and until my knee injury is fixed it will just aggravate it. When I started I did Tae-bo, and I know it gives a great burn as well.

As stated above though, the key is that you get doing something, and preferably something you can and will continue doing.
  • dave_10_0
    Options
    Breast stroke swimming will burn 700 calories in an hour....