When you're sick...

Options
Just a quick question I've been pondering the past few days while suffering from a wretched cold...

I have absolutely no appetite from this stupid thing, and my throat is killing me. I've been eating because I know I have to eat SOMETHING, but no where near as much as I should be (about 400 calories under 1200). What do you do when you're sick to make sure you're getting the nutrition your body needs? And, I heard somewhere you should try to eat even more than usual when you're sick so your body can heal. Is this true?

Also, exercising when you're sick. Yes or no? Obviously, you should rest as much as possible, and when I got home from work last night, I was so exhausted I went right to bed to rest and fell asleep around 8pm! However, I feel kind of guilty for not getting any sort of a work out in, and was wondering if it's better to rest or keep moving, and what kinds of exercise other's do when they're under the weather?

Any insight is appreciated! I find I get the best advice from my fellow MFPs!

Replies

• Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I was about to post this same question. Massive head cold, I don't feel like eating, and should I exercise? I'm supposed to run 3-4 miles tonight, should I skip it?
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Both of you need to listen to your bodies. If you don't feel like eating then don't force it. It's only for a couple of days. If your cold is a head cold only, then you can exercise but again listen to your body. If you don't feel up to it, don't do it - or else go for a walk instead. Gentle exercise in the fresh air might help you to feel better or at least help you sleep better.

Do make sure you drink plenty of water though. Fruit juice or smoothie is also a good idea

I hope you feel better soon :flowerforyou:
  • yolandawilson
    yolandawilson Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    try drinking drinks such as atkins shakes,its low in cal has protin and good for you the say dont do milk when u have a cold then some say its a meth i say if u dont get worce then go for it so good luck oh yea eggs are not heavy on the tummy and are good for u plenty of water and hot green tea
  • yolandawilson
    yolandawilson Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    sorry about the bad spelling my baby was crying had to rush lol
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Both of you need to listen to your bodies. If you don't feel like eating then don't force it. It's only for a couple of days. If your cold is a head cold only, then you can exercise but again listen to your body. If you don't feel up to it, don't do it - or else go for a walk instead. Gentle exercise in the fresh air might help you to feel better or at least help you sleep better.

Do make sure you drink plenty of water though. Fruit juice or smoothie is also a good idea

Agreed. Don't force yourself to do anything. If you're not hungry, don't eat. If you're tired, don't drag yourself to the gym. Your body can handle a few days of being off schedule.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

This is exactly what my doctor tells me... so long as your hydrated, if you can get something down, thats fine... hydration, plenty of rest...

I know when Im sick, all I want is my homemade chicken vegetable soup with matzoh balls... I always have a bunch individually frozen in the chest freezer... and Im feeling it come on too!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I've been sick with the flu since Saturday. I'm not doing anything. I would probably going into cardiac arrest from a coughing fit if I even tried to do any exercise. Just relax, your body needs the rest to get over whatever crud you got going on.
  • RDH77
    RDH77 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

^^^^This! Do not exercise if you have a fever or body aches or if you have chest congestion or coughing. You CAN exercise if you have a head cold only. Keep the intensity low. Also, don't forget if you are really feeling sick, then let your body do it's job of healing itself and just rest. No need to push through and make it worse or hurt yourself.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Listening to your body sounds like a good idea, I have to be honest I've been doing the opposite, I hate being ill so I've forced myself to exercise, eat load of fruit and veg and sweat it out and actually it seems to have worked (coupled with lemsip and strepsils etc) still feel a little unwell but its cleared faster than usual.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    <---- also sick with head cold. Do not want to eat, but actually do want to exercise, just not at my normal intensity LOL.... Maybe a nice walk on the treadmill today.
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    Thanks! That's what I've heard, too, just wanted to see what everyone else thinks. I'm making sure to drink LOTS of water. Maybe I'll hit the gym and just do some walking tonight. I'll see how I feel. I'm not too, too tired at the moment, but I did just have some coffee and have only been awake since 6:30am! The protein shakes were really good advice! I hope every one going through the same thing feels better soon!