Thoughts on walnuts?

Options
I’ve heard they’re a great source of good fats, but what do you guys think about them?

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,568 Member
    Options
    They’re an absolutely beautiful tree.
    Anyone lucky enough to have one in their yard really knows what a great tree they are!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,432 Member
    Options
    I eat some every day. Just not very many. 14 grams, specifically.

If you like them, and they fit in your calorie budget, and they help you achieve good overall nutrition along with all the other things you eat, then it would be a good idea to eat some. Otherwise, maybe not.

They have some poly- and mono-unsaturated fats, which do have benefits; and some of the fats are Omega-3s, but the ALA type, which is useful, but not very efficiently converted into DHA or EPA types that may be more beneficial.

They're calorie dense, of course . . . but so is anything else high in fats, and we do need to eat some fats.

There are quite a few possible sources of polyunsaturated fats and monounsaturated fats, and other sources of Omega-3s, too (some of them more bioavailable). I'm curious why you've singled out walnuts?
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I like them on top of Walnut Whips… not my fave nut I must admit. But I do eat nuts and seeds every day as I enjoy them. They do have some good fats and trace nutrients but can easily make me go over my calories for the day if not careful.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't eat a lot of either nuts or seeds, don't see the value. Nuts, like walnuts are harder to digest and we're only going to absorb around 75% of their nutrients anyway and the phytic acid in walnuts binds with some important nutrients like zinc, magnesium and iron further inhibiting absorption. One of the pillars of a ketogenic diet, which is what I'm on is to reduce as many antinutrients as possible and reduce most plant foods which is where most FODMAP foods exist, works for me and the health issues I was dealing with at the time. The saving grace imo for people that happen to be on mostly a plant based higher carb and low fat diet, which seems to be popular among vegetarians and vegans is the concentration of natural fats as a percentage of there overall caloric value. :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    edited May 10
    Options
    Is there some specific benefit you seek from Walnuts? Do they make you feel exceptionally full or chipper or something? If you enjoy them and they fit your calories...

I tend to be keyed to items that fill me up (because hey, I'm on a budget) and then to items that I enjoy eating (because hey, I might as well have fun). Somewhere in between the two I sneak in the "make sure I have my fair share of good enough nutrients to avoid damaging my health and un-necessarily keeling over before my time" -- oh: and that my financial budget is not TOO impacted too....
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,725 Member
    Options
    I love nuts, nut butters, seeds and seed butters. Walnuts have good omega 3 fats. Many of the longest living people eat nuts. Some may have allergies, sensitivity but I'd you don't then I say yes enjoy in moderation. You can get them raw then dry roast yourself. They have fiber and some protein. Walnut butter is good too.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    they are delicious
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,995 Member
    Options
    I love them 💗 for health, for flavor.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I love nuts, but since they are so calorie dense, I have very small servings of them, about a half ounce.

I also get good fats from olive oil and fish. I get plenty of fat, which I don't find especially filling. It's easier for me to create a calorie deficit if I stick to around the MFP default of 30% fat.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Walnuts are superior on paper, but I think pecans taste better
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,442 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic, thus not eating them and not thinking of them.