A night out

Options
I'm a teenager, and these things happen sometimes, but tomorrow night (friday night) is my friend's last weekend in town and she really wants us all to go out.
Of course, I do want to have fun but I really don't want it to ruin my diet...
I have not had a cheat day in three weeks since I started...
I'm low carbing AND i have PCOS....so alcohol would be quite bad for me...
but I haven't drank in about a month now...and I feel that this is enough of a special occasion that I don't want to miss it....

My question basically is....if i go out ONE NIGHT and get smashed and enjoy myself will it really ruin my diet?

Replies

• rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I say drink hard alcohol with low-calorie mixers (or none at all), and have a glass of water in between each one. Don't go out with the mentality to "get smashed", just have fun with your friends, and don't give in to the late night fast food run.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I don't think one night will give you a huge set back. I would just drink lots of water the next day and stay away from the scale. All that alcohol and dehydration will make you retain water.
  • nicolemv37
    nicolemv37 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I inevitably always ruin my diet by drinking alcohol. In fact, it's probably the reason that I can't get those last 10lbs off. If you're a teenager, you'll have a billion chances to drink in the future and trust me, it's much more fun when you're an adult anyways. Go for a little bit but then make some excuse to go home so you don't feel tempted to drink.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I say drink hard alcohol with low-calorie mixers (or none at all), and have a glass of water in between each one. Don't go out with the mentality to "get smashed", just have fun with your friends, and don't give in to the late night fast food run.

oh yeah.. and the food thing :)
  • Jarvis95
    Jarvis95 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    of course not, just be smart about it. You have to figure out a way to be healthy and do regular activities, or you'll gain it all back once you've lost it.

When I go out, I make sure to exercise that day and PLAN how many drinks i'm going to have so i'm under my calorie goal. I also stick to vodka + soda water so you only get the calories from the vodka (or you could do diet soda). Also, try to avoid after bar food, or if you really want to, plan for it and eat less (aka only fries instead of fries + burger)

you can do this!!!
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I go out quite often, almost every weekend, and get pretty wasted everytime. I still lose weight etc, probably a bit slower than I would otherwise though. Just be really careful on the hangover day and the day after hangover. Make sure you get back on track and try to eat as healthy as possible on the hangover day. I usually have two pieces of toast and scrambled eggs or something. And yeah lots of water.
  • sgibney78
    Options
    Nothing taste as good as thin feels. Think about all the times you haven't had fun because you've been to self concious about your weight. I know alot of people who don't drink who are fun and do come out with those of us that do.
  • miam4nia
    miam4nia Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    does alcohol have carbs???
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I inevitably always ruin my diet by drinking alcohol. In fact, it's probably the reason that I can't get those last 10lbs off. If you're a teenager, you'll have a billion chances to drink in the future and trust me, it's much more fun when you're an adult anyways. Go for a little bit but then make some excuse to go home so you don't feel tempted to drink.

I'm going to assume you live in the US where you have to be 21 to drink... because most countries it's 16 or 18. Plus, the OP is 19... she IS an adult.

Yes, alcohol has carbs and calories. No, it isn't great for your diet.. ANNNND... it's one night. I hardly drink anymore (I'm 26 btw) but this weekend we will be celelbrating and I will have a few drinks. It won't kill you.

Everything in moderation and you'll be fine. :)

edit: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/alcbev.htm
  • miam4nia
    miam4nia Posts: 137 Member
    Options

I'm going to assume you live in the US where you have to be 21 to drink... because most countries it's 16 or 18. Plus, the OP is 19... she IS an adult.

Yes, alcohol has carbs and calories. No, it isn't great for your diet.. ANNNND... it's one night. I hardly drink anymore (I'm 26 btw) but this weekend we will be celelbrating and I will have a few drinks. It won't kill you.

Everything in moderation and you'll be fine. :)

edit: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/alcbev.htm

lol :P yeah haven't you heard? the world REVOLVVVES around america

...i live in a country where the drinking age is 18 :).
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    does alcohol have carbs???
    Hard alcohol (vodka, rum, etc.) does NOT have carbs but you can't just go hog wild with it, either because it does metabolize like sugar. If you mix one of those with a sugar-free mixer, such as soda water, diet soda, etc. you should be okay. Here in the US, at least, there are also quite a few low carb "light" beers which are usually my choice when I'm out having a couple. And of course, drink a glass of water between each one, which will help keep you hydrated as well as slowing down your pace a little. :wink:
  • WoWmamaErin
    WoWmamaErin Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    And if you can, try to save a good amount of your food for later in the day. A couple weekends ago I got really smashed and didn't drink as much as I normally do. Problem for me was that I stuck with my diet all day and had a salad for dinner... Then broke out the Crown Royal and Diet Coke and was passed out by 11pm. I was normally used to eating a whole lot more when I drank so I was unprepared! lol

Have fun and have a drink for me! lol
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    A fitness program about mindsets and willpower, not just calories and carbs.

STICKING with the program (read: long-term benefit) will be from the flow-on effect.... hang-over, addiction, etc.

That said, good for you for asking. Alcohol does impair judgement capabilities.

I heard of a former work colleague who went out for drinks ... judgement impaired, he spoke his mind to a stranger. Fight came next. Long story short .. they buried him a few days later.

Not talking you out of it .... but if that voice inside and wise friends suggest something different, choose the right thing (even if it is some moderation) - you will be better for it.

This site is about long term health - my motivation for replying is to help you on your health journey.

Gary
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Go out and have fun :)

I'll be doing the same on Saturday night!