One Man’s Journey

Options
cbaldridge76
cbaldridge76 Posts: 33 Member
edited May 11 in Introduce Yourself
I am a 47 year old man that is overweight with bad knees. It’s going to be a rough journey, but I am going to try my best to lose 30 lbs. by the end of the summer. Wish me luck. Photos in comments sections

Replies

• cbaldridge76
    cbaldridge76 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    wc6q2d9xqnmg.jpeg
    dgs4f9waqs7p.jpeg
    nw1lmgzxt95z.jpeg
    x7wdvxr3mo3v.jpeg
    May 11, 2024
  • ButterflyEffectLiz
    ButterflyEffectLiz Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am a 47 year old man that is overweight with bad knees. It’s going to be a rough journey, but I am going to try my best to lose 30 lbs. by the end of the summer. Wish me luck. Photos in comments sections

Hi! I can relate. It is a rough journey. But, you have
    to stay determined and stay focused on your goal or goals. Be realistic in setting them. Remember to set a few NSVs. They help keep you motivated. Progress comes in different forms. Also, get a good support system. (If I had done all that ten years ago I won't have bad hips in addition to my bad knees.) Anyway, I wish you a successful journey!

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    Hello, and welcome!

Y'know, I'd suggest not investing yourself too heavily in the idea that it's going to be a rough journey. Sure, it won't be easy every second, but expectations have a way of being self-fulfilling.

Honestly, I was surprised: Weight loss was easier (in the mechanics) than I'd expected. I'd been overweight to obese for around 30 years, most of my adult life, when I got here at age 59. (I was menopausal, severely hypothyroid (medicated) - things sometimes perceived as weight loss doom). It took me a bit under a year to lose about 50 pounds, class 1 obese to healthy weight. I'm now 68, have been at a healthy weight for 8+ years since.

There were a lot of things about my habits that I needed to analyze, experiment with, and modify. But for me, calorie counting and food logging made that surprisingly straightforward.

The psychological side had its bumps, along with things like figuring out how to stay mostly full (and reasonably well nourished) on fewer calories. But I found that I could look at it as a fun, productive science fair experiment for grown-ups, learn from any oopsies rather than beating myself up about them, and actually succeed, with a dose of patient persistance.

The quality of life improvement for me was huge: More than worth the effort. I could kick myself for not doing it years earlier.

I admit, I'm a big believer in picking moderate strategies that make weight loss relatively easy, rather than using extreme eating rules and brutally punitive exercise trying to make it super fast. The "lose weight fast then go back to normal" route seems to be how some people here end up smashing up on the rocks . . . at least those folks seem to disappear pretty quickly, then sometimes reappear with "I'm back - regained" posts a few months down the road. I don't feel like the calendar is a great weight loss tool. New habits need to be found, practiced, grooved in.

If you're trying to lose 30 pounds in . . . what . . . 3.5 months-ish? . . . that could be a little aggressive, but maybe achievable. Still, in order to realize that loss, you need a routine you can stick with for that amount of time reasonably consistently (not necessarily utterly perfectly ;) ). Sometimes a moderate weight loss rate and a sustainable plan will get a person to goal weight in less calendar time than a more extreme, difficult one that may cause deprivation-triggered bouts of over-eating, breaks in the action, or even giving up altogether.

Just my opinions/experience, though.

No matter what route you choose, I'm cheering for you to succeed: The results are very much worth it!