Set Back

Options
I was recently injured .
My daily routine before the injury was going to the gym every day and sweating up a storm and pushing myself.
I dropped 40 pounds and hit my goal weight.

I’m finally back in the gym , pushing hard, but am struggling to shed the weight I gained.
The Dr has me on steroids and I know that this has a large part to do with it.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Medication causing a weight gain , and then struggling to shed it?

It’s extremely disheartening and aggravating.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,883 Member
    Options
    Medication weight gain is usually caused by one of:

1. Increased appetite;
    2. Water retention;
    3. Fatigue, possibly subtle, so we move less and burn fewer calories;
    4. Negative effects on sleep quality, also triggering fatigue.

Steroids in particular are associated with water retention, which can be surprisingly large. (I'm not saying other factors don't apply with steroids, just that water retention can be especially dramatic.)

Do you expect to need to continue the steroid permanently? If not, anything that is water weight should drop off on its own when you discontinue the steroid, though the time period may vary. (I took steroids temporarily during cancer treatment.)

Calorie counting can help identify increased appetite, but that doesn't mean it will be easy to manage. I suspect finding the most sating possible eating routine is about the best one can do. If eating quite a few highly processed/refined foods, shifting to more so-called whole foods may help satiation, with the small bonus that whole foods (and protein) may take a few more calories to digest/metabolize so that we net slightly fewer calories on the intake side, but that effect is small.

Sleep problems may be able to be identified and improved symptomatically, but that's also pretty individual, in my experience. I didn't particularly have a stimulant effect from steroids (maybe because the chemo had me so depleted), but some of my friends have said steroids interfered with their sleep. If that's a factor for you, talking with your doctor about it would be a good step to include.

Fatigue is tough. Obviously, we can strive to move more (in daily life, not just exercise), but there are limits when in the face of fatigue. It may be necessary to lower calories beyond the level that previously worked, but it's probably good to be gradual/cautious in doing that, since - obviously - getting too few calories can also increase fatigue. Getting overall good nutrition can possibly mitigate fatigue a little, if it's been a bit sub-par beforehand, but that's a small-returns investment, possibly, too.

There's a thread here where lots of MFP-ers share their strategies for increasing daily life (non-exercise) activity:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

Not all of those ideas will work for everyone, but perhaps some can.

If you lost muscle mass while ill, building that back up may help, but that's an inherently slow process in itself.

I know that (stuff above) isn't very satisfying or helpful, but it's all the ideas I have from my experiences (with drugs and hypothyroidism, which has some of those same 1-4 effects).

I hope you're able to find improvement!
  • michdblanchard
    michdblanchard Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77
    Thank you for an extremely informative response.
    The steroids have absolutely interfered with my sleep.
    To offset it, the Dr put me on sleep meds , which lead to being lethargic.

I decided to cut back on the sleep meds , in order to be able to function.
    Taking sleep meds is something I didn’t want to take in the first place.

Sharing that you had cancer was very open of you.
    I hope you are doing better and that you get to enjoy every day.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    How much longer do you have to be on the steroids?
  • figzyandbugzy88
    figzyandbugzy88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was recently injured .
    My daily routine before the injury was going to the gym every day and sweating up a storm and pushing myself.
    I dropped 40 pounds and hit my goal weight.

I’m finally back in the gym , pushing hard, but am struggling to shed the weight I gained.
    The Dr has me on steroids and I know that this has a large part to do with it.

Has anyone else had this issue?
    Medication causing a weight gain , and then struggling to shed it?

It’s extremely disheartening and aggravating.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Hey , I was like you doing well and now I have a blood clot. Fighting weight gain too due to meds!! Hope you get back on track. Starting again tomorrow with my calorie goals. Good luck 👍 💓 ✨️
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear of your injury. Hope you're all healed up soon.

While regular, vigorous exercise is great health-wise, it's important to not rely on it to maintain our weight, simply because of this reason. Any injury or health issue can keep us from exercising and then weight is gained back.

Also, multiple meds and their many side effects are frustrating for sure! Hope you can get back to normal soon.