I'm about to throw the scale away

Options
Has anyone ever felt like that? I yo yo all week long depending on my water weight. I have been doing this for over a month straight and I have to say that I have been doing really good.. however it doesn't reflect it on the scale.. My pants are fitting better and I feel healthier, but the scale is really depressing. Currently I am mostly doing cardio at my gym and I have been eating the right amount of calories.. Not going over and not being waaayyy under either. I mix up my workout routine and still nothing has budged on the scale.

Possibly it will be better to only weigh in once a month or once every two weeks or at certain points in the month? Any suggestions?

Replies

• horndave
    Options
    use that scale every once a moth or maybe two times a month. Being healthy, active and eating right will be the lifestyle you want the rest of your life.
  • Charise317
    Charise317 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    the scale is only a partial representation of the whole picture. Measurements and the fact that your clothes are fitting better are indications you are doing something right! I weigh in once a month
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Use a mesuring tape. I stopped losing for 6 months, and it was hard seeing the scale jump up and down the same 5 lbs. But then you would wear something and find you lost inches. I went down almost 3 sizes while staying the same weight.
  • ambercamello
    Options
    I weigh myself about everyday and I really shouldn't do that because it is constantly going up and down even though I exercise and eat right. I am trying to just weigh myself once a week or so. It's hard though because you desperately want to see results. I know how you feel!
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Scales are so evil and cruel. Get rid and just weigh yourself at the gym or somewhere else once a week. I get depressed if Im constantly jumping on and off them.
  • catmomof3
    Options
    If you're not seeing progress on the scale - Don't use it. Weigh only once a week and invest in a tape measure and check your measurements. When the scales don't show it, your measurements usually do. Thats what I do. I also have wish clothes now. Those are the clothes I wish I could get into. I can also see my progress with those. Don't give up. You *are* making progress!
    :happy:
  • Greenwellj
    Options
    Have you done your measurements? Look at those when the scale is stuck. I did a really strict week and didn't really lose, but when I measured I had lost 7 inches.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    my scale is like this friend, who tells me the truth no matter what. you can't hide or twist around what a scale tells you. it's just the truth, and you hate it not because of what it says, but because what is says is true.
  • welcomenuts
    welcomenuts Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya!!
    I've been logging for weeks, I'm currently on day 14 of the 30 day shred. I excrsise 7 days a week and I have GAINED 6 pounds.

I know I am stronger and I "feel" thinner, but it is SO painful to watch that number go up.

I finally said no more and I am using my jeans as my guide and taking my measurements. Otherwise I will probably break down and quit, thinking "why bother".

Be nicer to yourself and don't let that number tell you how you are doing. Keep making good choices and tell that scale to get bent.
  • Southernsister
    Southernsister Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have been the same...measure...eat healthy and do your thing.......as long as you feel good and see it in your body and clothes.....chunk that baby lol
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If your pants are fitting better, then you're doing it right. Weigh yourself once every couple of weeks to make sure you haven't gone up, and keep doing what you're doing. Like Catmomof3 said, measure yourself. There's a reason this site has a place to put in your measurements.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Use a mesuring tape. I stopped losing for 6 months, and it was hard seeing the scale jump up and down the same 5 lbs. But then you would wear something and find you lost inches. I went down almost 3 sizes while staying the same weight.

I have done the exact same thing. I went down like 3 sizes this summer, but the scale hasn't budged, since like July. Then one day it dropped like 3lbs and has been going down ever since. Stick with it, it will work.
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    yep, throw that scale out! when i first started mfp, i joined a weight loss challenge group. the first week i lost almost 2 pounds, but after that i got really depressed when i was weighing in every week and not seeing any difference. i was working my tail off, eating well, and just not seeing immediate results on the scales. however, during that time i did lose TONS of inches and probably 6% body fat! i don't have much to lose, maybe 3-8 pounds, so the loss is going to come much more slowly for me than someone who has 30+ pounds to lose. from the looks of your profile pic, you don't have a lot to lose either. take your measurements, maybe even some pics for comparison, and then stop weighing in weekly. if you really want to be sure you're on track a monthly weigh in would be much less discouraging. don't let it get you down! :-)
  • rjwinton
    Options
    A lot of it may have to do with muscle mass too- any exercise causes the body to repair/rebuild muscle tissue. This may explain why you say your clothes fit better but your overall weight hasn't changed much (Muscle mass gained=fat mass lost). My girlfriend, mother, and sister all struggle with this same exact thing, I feel bad for you women, it's tough!

But horndave is right, the lifestyle will eventually yield its benefits- all of your muscle cells help to burn that fat, and that difference will catch up soon. Don't get discouraged!
  • sallywilson06
    sallywilson06 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments!!! I really appreciate it!
  • Cruz2Fit
    Cruz2Fit Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thx Sally for your post and everyone for toe comments. I was right there 4 days ago. After 3 wks of being faithful, I remained with my initial loss of 4 lbs. I was angry, sad, discouraged, etc. It's OBVIOUS i'd dropped from a pant size 14 to a 10, but SAME WEIGHT!!! WTF!?

Today the stupid scale shows a 4 lb loss. I feel like I have an unhealthy relationship with the scale. It treats me badly, but I keep coming back seeking it's approval. I even "broke up" with it on one of my blogs. At the suggestions of MFPrs, I did measure myself. And will be tracking it. I hope to get strong enough to break up with my loser scale once and for all. But, it's hard for me because weighing myself is what I've known to do for more than 20 years!

OMG! I just had an "a-ha" moment!!!!! I'm going to teach my kids about measuring ourselves to gauge progress and put the scale away. I don't weigh them (9 and 10 yr old), but they see the scale in my bathroom and get on it. This'll be good since we're working at becoming a fit and healthy family.