Started Training after few years

Options
dectec
dectec Posts: 3 Member
I recently started training two weights sessions a week and 3 days walking 5k fast each day. After 3 weeks I have not lost 1lb. My calories are average 2300

Anyone any advice I’d appreciate it.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    Hard to guess appropriateness of your calorie goal with no idea of your height, weight, age, and how active your non-exercise life is.

How fast did you tell MFP you wanted to lose weight (X lbs/kg per week)?

Slow loss can be a good plan, especially if not currently very overweight, but can take more time to show up on the scale. A common suggestion here is that men should follow a new regimen for 4-6 weeks before adjusting goals (and that's assuming no so-called cheat days or meals in the mix).

Scale-weight loss isn't linear, so it's good to assess multi-week averages.

If there's new exercise, that can cause water retention (for muscle repair) that masks fat loss for a while, maybe up to a small number of weeks, especially with a slow loss rate.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    After another week of no loss then you need to lower your weekly calorie amount.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,802 Member
    Options
    Initial calorie numbers given by MFP and other website calculators are merely a starting point. Each person is unique, and even two people of identical height/weight/activity can require higher or lower calories just to maintain weight.

Once you have the starting point (2300, in your case), then you live life and track for a few weeks. If you have gained weight, your body needs less; if you have lost weight, your body needs more.

Assuming you have been faithfully adhering to exactly (or very close to) 2300 for the entire three weeks without any change in weight, then the combination of activity, plus breathing/digestion/thinking, must equal the food you are taking in. It's good to give one more week of data for a full month's worth of data.

If after this additional week you are still not changing, then do not despair, but rejoice! You now have actual anecdotal scientific evidence of where your break-even point is. Now you can make plans to lower your daily intake by 250 (from 2300 to 2050) and observe over the next few weeks what, if any, change occurs.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Reduce to 2000 and put in 2 weeks. You need a calorie deficit. It may not be happening presently.
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Please keep in mind that the scale is not the only tool to measure progress. Do you take measurements of waist, hips, arms, legs, etc? Can you walk faster than when you started? Or maybe the same speed but your average heart rate is lower? Are you lifting heavier?

I know we've all been taught to focus on the scale alone - but this sounds like a great routine and I bet you're feeling great!