I’m underweight but still look fat???

Options
I’ve lost over 10 pounds in about a month, and my BMI has lowered a lot, but my stomach is still huge! Bigger than before tbh. I don’t know what to do. I eat healthy food, healthy amounts, and I’ve lost weight but my waistline keeps getting bigger! I don’t know how to fix this and I’m super insecure about it. My original goal was never really to lose weight, I just want my stomach to look smaller. I don’t know if it’s body fat or just bloating? Please help.

Answers

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    You sort of need to give out some numbers so that we can all be confident we're using the same language and definitions
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    What Pav said ^^
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,476 Member
    Options
    Check your posture. Many people have anterior pelvic tilt which makes otherwise thin people look like they have a fat stomach. Graphic from the article linked: qtij8okdbox6.png

https://www.baptisthealth.com/blog/sports-medicine/anterior-pelvic-tilt#:~:text=Anterior pelvic tilt is a,can cause various health problems.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited May 15
    Options
    You may have a higher amount of visceral fat. Exercise helps reduce that. Could be bloating or gut inflammation to the foods /drinks you're eating, slouchy posture or low muscle tone too though. Could be uterine problems. It could just be genetics. We aren't all shaped like models, even at our fittest. I'll never be an hour glass. My ribs and hip basically meet up.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost over 10 pounds in about a month, and my BMI has lowered a lot, but my stomach is still huge! Bigger than before tbh. I don’t know what to do. I eat healthy food, healthy amounts, and I’ve lost weight but my waistline keeps getting bigger! I don’t know how to fix this and I’m super insecure about it. My original goal was never really to lose weight, I just want my stomach to look smaller. I don’t know if it’s body fat or just bloating? Please help.

You say you're underweight. Chronic severe calorie restriction can definitely cause gastrointestinal issues... which only your doctor can really help you with. I second Ann's question about what your doctor has said about it.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's more of a proportions thing? If your arms / neck / legs got smaller but you lost fewer inches around the waist?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

If you're female, off the top of my head, I can think of two medical conditions that could cause this. (Plus plus one gender-neutral condition.) But any gender, do see your doctor.

If nothing is medically wrong, look into body recomposition. Someone here will be able to post a link to our thread about this.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    I can think of more so would encourage the doctor visit too
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    Yep, the potential for a serious health condition causing distended abdomen is one reason I asked OP what her doctor says.

If dysmorphia is in the mix, that's also one way to sort that out. Maybe the posture question, too.

OP, I'd also ask how old you are? There are a couple of life points where women are more likely to have this kind of concern, and the underlying issue tends to be wildly different depending on which stage the person is at.