Calories vs. Fat grams

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm new to MFP, and new to tracking my food in general. I've been using MFP for about two weeks now, and I really like it a lot! I have a question though. I'm working full-time and I'm also a full-time grad student. I do my best to watch what I eat and I try to fit in exercise as much as I can. However, on days when my schedule is extra tight, I don't always have time to prepare healthy meals or fit in a 30-minute workout. Occasionally, I do have to drop by a drive-thru, but I try to keep those visits to a minimum. My question is: when considering food choices, is it "better" to go with the higher-calorie choice with fewer fat grams, or the lower-calorie choice with more fat grams? I would appreciate any feedback! And any ideas for preparing meals when I don't have a lot of time would also be a big help. Thanks everyone!

Replies

• foodobsessed
    foodobsessed Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Go with the higher protein/higher fiber options so you stay fuller for longer, or else you'll just end up eating more empty calories.
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer for calories vs. fat grams- but I get a daily email from Eat This, Not That. There is a lot of general information about which meals to stay away from- and what is "good" for you at many restaurant/ fast food places. You may consider checking that out- it's very informative!
  • Vhovell
    Vhovell Posts: 286
    Options
    I haven't got an answer for calories vs fat grams either i'm afraid but maybe try when you do have a bit of time to do a big batch of something and freeze it then you just have to take it out in the morning and heat it up in the microwave when you get home :o)
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Yep I agree go with the foods that are gonna make you feel fuller for longer and sustain your appitite. Good luck. You'll find loads of info on here.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what your normal eating plan is. I do a lower carb/higher fat (good fats from nuts, etc) diet so when I eat out, I stay totally away from carbs.

If you typically eat a standard ratio, try to stick with that and if eating fast food, you are probably looking at eating a lot of salads or grilled chicken options. Just don't be scammed -- many of the fast food places "healthier" options are loaded with cals, fat, and carbs -- sometimes even the grilled selections on the menu are horrible if you look them up online.

You might try to scope out on the various fast food websites for their nutritional values and at least then you would have an idea when you do end up going, what will be a better selection for you.
  • LCFulmer
    LCFulmer Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure which would be better but I do agree with making a big batch and freeze/set it aside. My husband and I do this on Sunday's. I make at least two meats (enough for 2 servings for the four of us) and then a large thing of veggies. I don't have to cook again until Thursday or Friday. Both of us work fulltime and we own a franchise so we are busy. I also suggest when possible take the stairs..that burns calories as well.
  • lbrown73
    lbrown73 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've been doing a lot of research online about nutritional facts for various fast food restaurants. One of the least damaging options is Chick-Fil-A's chargrilled sandwich with a cup of fruit on the side. That's usually what I try to get if I'm not able to fix something to eat ahead of time. I drink water with it instead of soda.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    If you're goal is to trying to lose weight, calories are all that matter.