Insomnia, Depression and Menopause - trying to lose weight

I have another post that was to be related to Menopause and weight loss but ended up talking a lot about insomnia. I am struggling big time with the insomnia. My Psych will not treat it because his job is only to treat my depression. My GP has done all that he can do to treat the insomnia and has referred me to another Psych to treat me for depression AND insomnia but I can't get an appointment there until Sep 3 2024. In the meantime, I am suffering.

I have tried melatonin, weighted blanket, grounding sheets, A/C on since Apr 2, Trazodone @ 250mg (and going up to max of 400mg), Mirtazapine @ 45mg, walking 40min day, sleep time yoga, sleep hypnosis app, etc.

I get twitchy when trying to sleep and my GP says it is because I am over tired. I've tried going to bed and getting up at the same time but some nights I do not sleep at all regardless. And with all the twitching, my legs are sore the next morning.

So any ideas or just even support would be great until I can get into my new Psych appt in Sept and hoping he can help then.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• sj5293
    sj5293 Posts: 1 Member
    Have you tried CBD gummies?
  • Je55ica_79
    Je55ica_79 Posts: 278 Member
    I take benadryl or I struggle
  • mcandi2011
    mcandi2011 Posts: 13 Member
    How much magnesium does one take? I am 51yo female and have started with 200mg Magnesium Bisglycinate on Wed and it is now Sunday and have noticed no difference yet.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,949 Member
    Have you tried a sleep hygiene routine?
  • Mlis1234
    Mlis1234 Posts: 7 Member
    When I'm struggling I will take 5-HTP, L-Theanine II, and Melatonin (one that has Extended Release so that it helps stay asleep).
  • mcandi2011
    I looked into 5-HTP but I am not allowed to take it with the anti-depressants. I am taking Lamotrigine for the anti-seizures for twitchiness. So hopefully that works!
  • sarahegibeault
    sarahegibeault Posts: 1 Member
    I’m 41 and just started going through the change of life with all the fun stuff, night hot sweats and laying awake at night. 40 min of walking is not enough for me to sleep! I started lifting weights and eating more protein (Your body weight worth per day. ) it’s helping w my mood, sleep and confidence. Also indica gummies help but stay away from sativa or you’ll be up all night.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,112 Member
    I grow my own cannabis and make infused coconut oil and gummies with it. 1/2 a gummy before bed helps me stay asleep and has been a life saver for me.

It's not loaded with chemicals like some sleep aids and I control what's in them. :)
  • Hungry_catapillar
    Hungry_catapillar Posts: 24 Member
    Have you tried seeing a sleep clinic? It could be a game changer if they give you a c-pap machine for sleep apnoea ?

Personally I just listen to my body now and sleep when it decides to. I’ve tried everything
  • mcandi2011
    Unfortunately, a sleep clinic here requires a doctor referral and has a 2 year waiting list but I have been referred and am waiting......
    Right now, I am exhausted and sooooo tired but have been not able to sleep the last 2 1/2 hours and the twitching has started
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 1,279 Member
    Any access to evening pool hours for a swim or water exercise classes?

And soy milk on cereal at breakfast may help as well.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,108 Member
    OP how old are you? Could be peri menopausal? HRT might b an option if so.
  • mcandi2011
    I am 51 and am on meds for menopause which has done wonders for the hot flashes!!
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 1,011 Member
    I have struggled with staying asleep ever since perimenopause and my doctor initially recommended magnesium glycinate ~800 mg, a lot more than what you’re taking. I now take about half of that. I also take L-theanine (200 mg) and GABA (250 mg, OTC, not gabapentin, a prescription medication). And nights when I’m feeling really desperate for falling back asleep and needing to sleep because something is happening the next day that requires attention, I take Unisom. Unisom is tricky; there are literally two different medication‘s, both OTC, with the name of Unisom in the US. Of course there’s also generic. The one that helps me is doxylamine succinate, 25 mg. The other one is effectively Benadryl (diphenhydramine), if I recall correctly. I know this might sound weird, but I bite off just a quarter of this pill and it gets me to sleep. I do not take it often, not even once a week. I have shared what I take, but you really must talk to your doctor before you take any OTC meds or supplements. And just out of curiosity, what exactly do you mean by your Psych? A psychiatrist? A psychologist? And if I may also ask, what country are you in? Also, as mentioned by someone else, following sleep hygiene and a sleep routine can be very helpful. Google sleep hygiene, and/or sleep routine, if you don’t know what they are.
  • mcandi2011
    I don't have a sleep hygiene as I had never needed one before but am looking into it. Psych is psychiatrist and I am in Canada. I am going off Mirtazapine as it can cause Restless Leg Syndrome which is something that is bothering me nightly and I have an appt with my GP on Wed to discuss it as previously when I asked him about nighttime twitchiness, he had no idea what to do. But, as currently my GP and my psychiatrist do not want to treat my insomnia, I have been doing research on my own during the wee hours when I cannot sleep. Gabapentin has been shown to reduce RLS which I am currently taking, but not in high enough doses right now. Getting off Mirtazapine should help as well. I will either lie in bed staring at the ceiling waiting for sleep or I am so tired but can't sleep because of RLS. Last night, I was up all night twitching.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 1,011 Member
    @mcandi2011 I had just asked about your use of the word Psych because I was a bit surprised that your Psych would not treat your sleep difficulties because when I worked with psychiatrists (in the US), they would always talk about how critical it was for people with mental health concerns to obtain good sleep. This obviously is also true for people with physical health concerns, as well. In some states, psychologists can prescribe some medications, in addition to doctors, and I wondered if you were referring to a psychologist. Please note that I am not a doctor and your doctors know your specific situation, so please give any advice you get from random people on the internet with more than a grain of salt. Best wishes.
  • roamerat98
    roamerat98 Posts: 1 Member
    Find a good magnesium lotion and rub it on your legs and feet at night before going to sleep. I order mine from Rowe Casa.
  • fantasunset
    fantasunset Posts: 4 Member
    Hey, not sure I have the answers, more like we’re in the same boat. I take l’theanine with lemon balm etc, GABA (earlier in the day) and 3 mg melatonin.
    But you know that is a very flimsy band aid.
    I completely understand though. There are days where I lack the energy to scrape myself off the floor. Hugs
  • Michellebellelw
    Michellebellelw Posts: 1 Member
    I take Irwin Naturals brand of Magnesium Ashwagandha and it works great!