Scam “Survey”

Options
Vikkirawlscpa
Vikkirawlscpa Posts: 1 Member
Is anyone else getting the “surveys” that promise an expensive gift after you complete the survey?
I’m amazed that My Fitness Pal allows this to be done to its clients!

Answers

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,811 Member
    Options
    Where are you getting the surveys from? Are they from friends? Via private messages?

Or are they appearing as ads in your feed? In which case , they’re clickbait, and you simply don’t click the bait.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    OP joined MFP half an hour ago.

I am skeptical about the number of scam surveys they could possibly have come across in that timeframe.

Myself? I have never seen any such thing on MFP.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,811 Member
    Options
    I remember when my dad joined eBay. Within minutes, he had a phishing email under his new account name. Luckily, I caught it before he could click thru.

Ya never know. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    If you're talking about an ad that popped up in MFP, I'd point out that content sites like MFP usually use middleman services, i.e. essentially they sell their ad space to brokers, and the brokers sell the space to advertisers.

The content site likely has some has limited influence over the types of ad content, such as categories of ads they'd accept . . . but skeezy marketers or brokers - the established liars among them - will game that in various ways to get their %$&#$ out there in ways that are counter to contracts they've signed or representations they made to a broker about what's being advertised.

I tend not to blame the content site if much of their ad content is rational, with a few whack-a-doodle exceptions. Most of the ads I've seen in MFP are not scammy, though they're often for products I don't want/need. Others seem to have a similar experience.

Bottom line, I don't think MFP is truly "allowing this to be done" in the usual meaning of that phrase. They can be fooled by skeezy marketers, just like consumers can.

If a site's advertising is all awful or scammy stuff . . . well, betcha they know it, and don't care.