Hidden calories? and how do you calculate your daily calorie expenditure

Options
BrandonRx
BrandonRx Posts: 7 Member
edited May 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm a 53 year old male and have been using this app for about 2 weeks. I lift weights 3 times a week, walk 10,000 steps daily and I'm trying to lose weight . My goal is to see my six pack again. Anyway, I've been going with a daily deficit of 500 calories. By this measure I should be losing a pound a week Ive heard. I know its only 2 weeks but my weight is holding steady at 180 lb, plus or minus a pound. I know Ill be fine tuning this as I go, but I have a couple of questions. Do you think you tend underestimate how many calories you eat, and have you discovered where the calories tend to be. And 2, what do you use to calculate how many calories you burn. I just use what my Fitbit says. But the Fitbit numbers tend to agree with numbers I come up with based on internet calculations based on gender, age, height, activity levels , etc. As an average I tend to burn 2800-3000 calories on workout days and 2500-2600 on non workout days. So I will try to finish my day with a total calorie consumption of 2000-2200. This Should be plenty of room to allow that 500 deficit. But as of yet nothing has changed. Again I know its early but I cant help but think one end of my calories-in calories-out may be calculated wrong. I'm just trying to get a sense of the communities experience especially in the early days of using MyFitness App.

Replies

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,091 Member
    Options
    The only calories I forgot to count at first was vitamins, black coffee, etc. It was a long time ago, but I think it was about 100 calories a day.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options
    Stick with your current weekly calorie amount for a month and review at that time. It takes that long for all the "noise" from water retention and release and homeostasis to normalize somewhat. At that point adjust calories to be in step with your goals.
  • BrandonRx
    Options
    Stick with your current weekly calorie amount for a month and review at that time. It takes that long for all the "noise" from water retention and release and homeostasis to normalize somewhat. At that point adjust calories to be in step with your goals.

Sounds like a good plan. Im just anxious, Hawaii trip coming up and all... haha
  • wm3796
    wm3796 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are using a food scale and weigh everything you eat. Include all oils, sauces, dressings.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,809 Member
    edited May 21
    Options
    BrandonRx wrote: »

Sounds like a good plan. Im just anxious, Hawaii trip coming up and all... haha

LOL, you're probably a year too late to start thinking about it depending on how much you're trying to lose.

BTW don't put a lot of stock into those apps. If they work it's usually after a lot of trial and error (read: Waste Of Time for awhile) so best to stick with a reasonable calorie amount and review in a month. It's usually better to shoot a little on the low side to compensate for inaccurate counting and tracking. Too high and you piss away a whole month of what you though was a deficit when in reality it wasn't.
  • BrandonRx
    edited May 21
    Options
    wm3796 wrote: »
    Make sure you are using a food scale and weigh everything you eat. Include all oils, sauces, dressings.

I just bought a scale. The oils, sauces, etc are the calories I had in mind when I posted this. My meals through out the day are single ingredient items. But at dinner my wife will add different stuff to the chicken etc. Two nights ago she mixed the chicken with some creamy sauce, and I didnt bother trying to figure out the calories cause she tends to adlib her concoctions with various ingredients and so I didnt bother trying to figure out how many calories it was. Generally even at dinner its not hard to figure out whats in the meal, but other times it seems almost impossible to figure out how many calories to add. But I feel I'm leaving a big enough deficit to account for these things.

Another thing Ive thought of is how different the calories are given in the app. For example a quarter cup of almonds could be 250 calories or 150 calories depending on which one you select.
  • BrandonRx
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    If your weight training and walking also began two weeks ago, you're probably retaining a good bit of water for muscle repair. That can easily mask fat loss.

The walking 10,000 steps is new, but been back in the gym for a couple of years, just never paid attention much to my calories. At over 50 I was mostly concerned about just getting my muscles back up to par.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options

I just bought a scale. The oils, sauces, etc are the calories I had in mind when I posted this. My meals through out the day are single ingredient items. But at dinner my wife will add different stuff to the chicken etc. Two nights ago she mixed the chicken with some creamy sauce, and I didnt bother trying to figure out the calories cause she tends to adlib her concoctions with various ingredients and so I didnt bother trying to figure out how many calories it was. Generally even at dinner its not hard to figure out whats in the meal, but other times it seems almost impossible to figure out how many calories to add. But I feel I'm leaving a big enough deficit to account for these things.

Another thing Ive thought of is how different the calories are given in the app. For example a half cup of almonds could be 250 calories or 150 calories depending on which one you select.

Try not to use cups but use grams - that, and the odd creamy sauce, could add up to a couple hundred calories. I found I was using extra calories by using tablespoons or teaspoons - but a heaped tsp of peanut butter (which I thought was 5g) was actually 12. That’s where the calories can just creep in. So use grams or ounces - not spoons or cups, and your tracking will be a lot more accurate.
  • BrandonRx
    Options

Another thing Ive thought of is how different the calories are given in the app. For example a half cup of almonds could be 250 calories or 150 calories depending on which one you select.

Try not to use cups but use grams - that, and the odd creamy sauce, could add up to a couple hundred calories. I found I was using extra calories by using tablespoons or teaspoons - but a heaped tsp of peanut butter (which I thought was 5g) was actually 12. That’s where the calories can just creep in. So use grams or ounces - not spoons or cups, and your tracking will be a lot more accurate.

Thank you on the tip to use grams. I didnt even think about that.
    Yeah the sauce part is the one Im worried about.

• claireychn074
    Options

Can you weigh the ingredients your wife uses when she cooks? Even for a few times until you get used to estimating? The reality is that unknown ingredients can quickly add up to your intended deficit, and logging is a skill which takes a surprising amount of effort. I’ve been logging for 7 ish years and I’m in maintenance so I don’t weigh everything, but there are times I need to be accurate with my logging and my guesswork usually proves to be out by a couple hundred calories per day. I’m fine with that as I’m not currently trying to lose weight, but if I need to drop a kilo or two I have to be soooo accurate with my logging.
  • BrandonRx
    Options

[/quote]

Can you weigh the ingredients your wife uses when she cooks? Even for a few times until you get used to estimating? The reality is that unknown ingredients can quickly add up to your intended deficit, and logging is a skill which takes a surprising amount of effort. I’ve been logging for 7 ish years and I’m in maintenance so I don’t weigh everything, but there are times I need to be accurate with my logging and my guesswork usually proves to be out by a couple hundred calories per day. I’m fine with that as I’m not currently trying to lose weight, but if I need to drop a kilo or two I have to be soooo accurate with my logging.[/quote]

I'll speak to my wife tonight. Wish me luck, lol. I don't cook, so she might put me to work in the kitchen with this demand.
  • claireychn074
    Options

Can you weigh the ingredients your wife uses when she cooks? Even for a few times until you get used to estimating? The reality is that unknown ingredients can quickly add up to your intended deficit, and logging is a skill which takes a surprising amount of effort. I’ve been logging for 7 ish years and I’m in maintenance so I don’t weigh everything, but there are times I need to be accurate with my logging and my guesswork usually proves to be out by a couple hundred calories per day. I’m fine with that as I’m not currently trying to lose weight, but if I need to drop a kilo or two I have to be soooo accurate with my logging.[/quote]

I'll speak to my wife tonight. Wish me luck, lol. I don't cook, so she might put me to work in the kitchen with this demand.
    [/quote]

I sense you’re about to learn to cook 😀 good luck!
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    As others have said, when weighing foods try to use grams, mililiters, etc.

Also, I don't trust the food entries that are in the database since they are often wrong or outdated. I typically create a new food entry and log it myself. It takes a bit at first, but then you get into a rhythm and it doesn't take too long. Plus, you eventually get to the point where you've created entries for your most commonly consumed items.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 889 Member
    Options

Another thing Ive thought of is how different the calories are given in the app. For example a quarter cup of almonds could be 250 calories or 150 calories depending on which one you select.

That's bc those types of things should be weighed...not measured volumetrically. There can be quite a bit of weight difference between two different '1/2 cup' scoops. And with something calorie dense like that, it'll make a large difference in the overall caloric consumption.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

Glad you are going to use a food scale moving forward!

Unfortunately, the green check marks in the MFP database are used for both USER-created entries and ADMIN-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. A green check mark for USER-created entries just means enough people have upvoted the entry - it is not necessarily correct.

To find ADMIN entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP. All ADMIN entries from the USDA will have weights as an option BUT there is a glitch whereby sometimes 1g is the option but the values are actually for 100g. This is pretty easy to spot though, as when added the calories are 100x more than is reasonable.

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov

Use the “SR Legacy” tab - that's what MFP used to pull in entries.

For the almonds I eat, "Nuts, almonds, dry roasted, with salt added" is the syntax, and I use the weight in grams.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was USER entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP. (Alas, you cannot just scan with your phone and assume what you get is correct. Note: scanning is mostly only available with Premium these days.)

Beware the 0 calorie pecans though >.<

mu8o1ug3b4hm.png
  • kngddmbppx
    kngddmbppx Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Tell your wife you love her cooking and how good it tastes and how much you appreciate her. Then say you really are trying to lose weight for the trip and to look good for her and mostly to feel better for yourself and in the future then say whatever u need like… I was wondering if before you put that yummy sauce in it can you put my meat, sauce, noodles separate from sauce on the side bc I really like it and you are an amazing cook. Or however you would personally say it in your words.

I know that would be hard to do bc I am a wife. lol! Hope this helps!

Also low carb normally says net calories and I’m a little crazy so I look on the back to calculate what they really are…

Carbs = 4 cal
    Protein =4 cal
    Fat = 9 cal

So if something has 2 grams of fat that would be 18 cal 9x2 =18

That’s just me though and how I do it. I’m sure it’s fine to just go by what the calories say.

Good luck! You got this!
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 843 Member
    edited May 25
    Options
    Why don’t you take over cooking for yourself and wife, especially since you’re trying to track your calories?

I don’t cook either 😬, but when I was in the losing phase I had to get involved a lot more and it made a big difference.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    You mention your wife making a creamy sauce for chicken. A sauce like that can add hundreds of calories depending on what is in it. That along with the range of error in calorie estimates, both that which is nefarious with companies playing with numbers to make their stuff look lower calorie than it is and just the natural variations due to different growing seasons and conditions, can eat into a 500 calorie deficit very quickly. I am sure others have pointed out that being careful with which of the results you use out of the database is also vitally important. Many are wrong.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options

[/quote]

You don't need to know which spices and herbs she's using to flavor the dish. You need to know whether it's mostly milk, cream, oil, butter, etc. You could then just weigh how much you add (if the sauce is on the side) or try to eyeball it if it's a clingy sauce that's already on the chicken and account for that weight of the high calorie ingredients. You can subtract some of the weight if she says there's also water, vinegar or a splash of wine, Not logging a few tablespoons of a butter and cream sauce is omitting at least 200 calories a day.