BMI is BS....

Options
I thought this was crazy...

I did the trusty old BMI calculator and according to my digits....I'm borderline overweight....

They should work the kinks of that system out to figure in muscle mass and other variables to get a more accurate reading...

Replies

• dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    There is no way to work out the kinks and make it work for everyone. People who are more muscular and athletic should have the BMI professionally measured, if they want accuracy.
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    There is no way to work out the kinks and make it work for everyone. People who are more muscular and athletic should have the BMI professionally measured, if they want accuracy.

How is having BMI professionally measured any different that calculating it yourself. Body fat% is a much more accurate measure of fitness
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    Bodyfat....
  • Maria_Goose
    Options
    Oh yeah, I remember one time I actually got down to "normal weight". I was weak and had circles under my eyes. I heard somewhere that it's actually supposed to be 27, but recently they decided to make it 25.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    BMI is just a ratio of height to weight. It's purpose is for large population studies, and has nothing to do with individual people.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    My husband's medical insurance has BMI measurement requirements on it..... total crap. Luckily it hasn't affected our premium (yet). But if it ever does I will complain to high heaven.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I agree, often BMI is bollocks. My brother-in-law is a builder, fit as a butcher's dog, and it tells him he's overweight!!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I did the trusty old BMI calculator and according to my digits....I'm borderline overweight....

They should work the kinks of that system out to figure in muscle mass and other variables to get a more accurate reading...

BMI was never meant to measure individual people vs a standard. BMI was invented to compare groups of populations vs other groups of populations. As an example groups that typically fall in the obese category of BMI tend to have more health issues than those in the "normal" or healthy range.
  • WerePlatypus
    WerePlatypus Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    BMI is a highly generalized classification system, and certainly does not take lean muscle mass into account. Even at <10% BF, I am considered obese.
  • alucard75
    alucard75 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    BMI was created over 100 years ago....it in NOT nor will in ever be accurate for a large portion on the population...
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work for people who are more muscular then most... and also, I think it's a little less forgiving for taller people in general (though that's personal opinion).
  • dieseljay74
    Options
    All good points guys....just when it get's down to health insurance rates figuring in is when I have a problem..
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199
    Options
    My husband's medical insurance has BMI measurement requirements on it..... total crap. Luckily it hasn't affected our premium (yet). But if it ever does I will complain to high heaven.

Ours is the same way. However, we can get an exemption from our doctor which will override the BMI requirement. We haven't needed to go that route, but if we ever gain enough lean mass to push us out of an acceptable BMI range, you can bet we'll get that exemption!!! :happy:

Body fat % is a MUCH better indicator of fitness than BMI!!!
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    I worked with a guy who competed in body building competitions, I think he came 4th in Mr UK a few years back.

He weighed approx 240lb with a 23" waist

After the yearly medical with the Occupational Health Nurse the works Dr phoned him to discuss his level of obesity :bigsmile:

Never trusted the BMI thing anyway !
  • Legalchica
    Options

I totally agree cause there is NO WAY you are overweight!!!!
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    yep when I was up around 215-220 I was labeled morbidly obese, the nurse would look atthe BMI then my body and tell me not to worry about that BMI LOL!
  • jeepwidow01
    Options
    I am extrememly frustrated with BMI, not only for adults, but how some pediatricians are focusing on it now as well. At my 5 yr. old daughter's yearly physical, the dr. informed us we needed to cut her diet by 100 calories. Really?? At the age of 5????? :noway: Her height was in the 90% and weight in 92%. She was "overweight" by 1 lb. I was not a happy mommy!! :mad: