Calories without fat, carbs, and sodium

Options
I've been regularly coming in under my calorie budget for the day -- sometimes by a pretty large margin. The problem I'm having is that while I keep calories low, my carbs and sodium, and sometimes my fat (though less often) will be quite high. Yesterday I was 338 calories under budget, but over in carbs and sodium but a good bit!

All I can think to eat that isn't high in carbs, sodium, and fat, are vegetables. The issue with that is that the calories are so low. A cup of broccoli has like, what, 35 calories? So to make up the 300 calorie difference I'd have to eat a bucket of broccoli. I don't have that kinda room in me!

So how can I make sure I'm getting my calories high but keeping all my fat and carbs low? Any tips? I do notice that my fat usually isn't that high (though I try to keep it that way). Should I eat more proteins, meat and beans?

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    lean protein
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    meat has no carbs and little sodium depending on what you season it with. tofu has few carbs as wel
  • jwaltz13
    Options
    Thanks for asking, I had been wondering the same thing!! Lean protein it is! :)
  • BreCore
    Options
    The only thing that came to my mind was alcohol. lol.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter as long as you feel good and your blood pressure and cholesterol are within health ranges. Sodium doesn't matter for most healthy people, and different people feel better on different mixes of fat, protein and carbs.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Lean protein is definitely the best. Think tuna, chicken, lean beef cuts, shrimp, fish, etc.

I usually keep some beef or turkey jerky around the house for those nights when I'm under calories and protein but my sodium is usually pretty low so I can take that hit. I'll also throw a frozen 4 oz. chicken breast sprinkled with granulated garlic and onion into the microwave for 4 minutes, slice it up and eat it. Tuna salad eaten with celery sticks as scoops is good if you have some extra fat calories, as well.
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Lean protein is definitely the best. Think tuna, chicken, lean beef cuts, shrimp, fish, etc.

I usually keep some beef or turkey jerky around the house for those nights when I'm under calories and protein but my sodium is usually pretty low so I can take that hit. I'll also throw a frozen 4 oz. chicken breast sprinkled with granulated garlic and onion into the microwave for 4 minutes, slice it up and eat it. Tuna salad eaten with celery sticks as scoops is good if you have some extra fat calories, as well.

This sounds good. I will give it a try too
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Whey protein
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    lean protein

^^ This.....that is all.
  • gertieblueboots
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Will up the chicken intake :)

Brecore: alcohol is usually on of the first think I think of too ;)
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, mostly with sodium. I have calories left over but my sodium is in the red.

Chicken? Hmmm....when I log grilled chicken (with nothing on it) the sodium is about two thirds the amount of the calories. So, 330 calories come out to over 200 of sodium. That doesn't help much with the sodium. :(
  • gertieblueboots
    Options
    crzyone, I don't see that much sodium in the chicken I log. We talking breast meat here?
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Yes, "grilled chicken--chicken breast without the skin--3 oz"....110 calories, 71 sodium......I have trouble keeping the sodium count down.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    That'd be 71 milligrams and out of the 1500 mg recommended per day is not very much. I'd consider that a low sodium food, to be honest. Now, a chicken breast sandwich that you buy at a restaurant like Chick-Fil-A will have 1100-1200 mg. That is high!
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    The only thing that came to my mind was alcohol. lol.

hahaha I love this, and I think it is probably the closest! (although most would have some carbs?) hahaha