INSANITY dvd - How do you rank it

Options
So I watched the Infomercial for the new work out DVD called INSANITY.

I am really trying to truly understand how such definition can be achieved, with absolutely no WEIGHTS. Am I missing something???????? Granted they all looked totally insane in doing the workouts, and granted they seem like they would be huge calorie burn boosters, but I am not sold on how such definition would be achieved in 60 days with ONLY cardio.

Has anyone used this DVD? If yes, how do you rank it?

Replies

• jmxxiiii
    jmxxiiii Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Within my top 5 of BEST.

It really is insanity.

I got it for 20 bucks in South Korea.
  • riccla
    Options
    Very tough on the legs when you first start, you will get some definition (especially the legs) but don't expect to end up like them after the 60 days. A lot of the people you see in the videos are already some form of accomplished "athlete" eg. spin instructor or personal trainer.

Great exercise though !!
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Insanity is insane and tough it will kick your butt.

You can do a ton of defining with body-weight only exercises
  • dawngrasso
    dawngrasso Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i have done insanity workout...it is non-stop, high intensity cardio. some of the moves killed my lower back. personally, my body responds to a workout consisting of strength and cardio but throwing this in every so often is a good challenge. i like bob harpers cardio kettlebell dvd-have u tried that? now i am doing RIPPED IN 30 which is great
    good luck
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    Intense cardio like that helps burn fat so you can visibly get to your muscles. For instance, because of martial arts and P90X, I have a very strong core and tight abs but there's a stubborn layer of fat on top of them.

Also, your body can provide its own resistance. You don't always need weights to achieve definition.

I just ordered Insanity and will start as soon as it gets here!!
  • lovesparks4life2
    Options
    Insanity is really the word itself, the workout is tough. I only ended up finishing in 3 weeks only because it was due to injury; however, I did finish P90X first. I would suggest you do P90X first before trying Insanity because Insanity doesn't do much stretching, and I don't think it is good for the body to not stretch before exercising, it is mostly prone to be more damaging to the body instead of relieving it. But it is a great way to burn over 1000 calories each time. However, it isn't worth it if you aren't fit because it will only lead to more injury. I started doing P90X again, so I am already a P90X Post Grad. I hope that this helps you in the end. I just wanted to make sure that you don't injure yourself like I did, I couldn't workout for about three months, I had a swollen ankle and probably tore a lot of muscle during Insanity. Good luck!
  • slbeutler
    Options
    I love it! It works your full body without any weights with high intensity exercises that just use your body weight, push ups, burpees, jump squats etc. Be careful if you have any knee problems that you have a nicely padded surface to workout on. I have tile and had to stop becaue of the high impact. I now just fit it in once in a while when I need an extra boost, but I cannot do it back to back anymore.
  • slbeutler
    Options
    Insanity is really the word itself, the workout is tough. I only ended up finishing in 3 weeks only because it was due to injury; however, I did finish P90X first. I would suggest you do P90X first before trying Insanity because Insanity doesn't do much stretching, and I don't think it is good for the body to not stretch before exercising, it is mostly prone to be more damaging to the body instead of relieving it. But it is a great way to burn over 1000 calories each time. However, it isn't worth it if you aren't fit because it will only lead to more injury. I started doing P90X again, so I am already a P90X Post Grad. I hope that this helps you in the end. I just wanted to make sure that you don't injure yourself like I did, I couldn't workout for about three months, I had a swollen ankle and probably tore a lot of muscle during Insanity. Good luck!

I have to disagree with this, there is a very good stretching routine after the warm up in every Insanity workout I have done and at the end. You just warm your muscles up first, which is better for you to do prior to stretching.
  • alexa_image
    alexa_image Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I love it!
    I'm in my last week of Insanity, I've seen some people who look like them after two rounds of Insanity
    I'm not ready for the second round just yet. I want to try P90X next or Turbo Fire.
    But Insanity is really intense and insane, but is all worth it, for real!
  • masterbean
    Options
    have you ever heard of Plyometrics or jump training? If not, it's, well training that requires a lot of jumping. I personally love it and yeah, unless you are very strict on your diet, you're not going to look like those people in the video at the end of your 60 days.
    I also highly suggest a padded floor.
    I did P90X first and the Plyo in those video's killed me without a padded floor. When I ordered Insanity, I decided to pick up some mats and it made all the difference!
    I do suggest that you go through P90X or some other core training before taking on Insanity, unless you watch the video's on the website and it gets you excited, it's a very difficult program to start off with.
  • vmrink
    Options
    I agree with everyone on here. It's a really tough work out. And make sure you protect your knees.

I have the DVDs, but haven't started them yet. I want to finish Turbo Fire first. Turbo Fire includes a lot of plyometrics, similar to what Insanity uses. Although Insanity takes it to an insane level. LOL

Will you look like the people in videos afterward? Only if you were already close to that physique before you started. You WILL lose weight however.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    It's my top #1 for cardio work. I do miss the weight training, but if you purchase the Deluxe set you get upper body strength training too which I would recommend.

However, I so don't think it's for everyone. I think you have to really really want to push yourself beyond your every limit. Some people don't like to feel like they are dying, about to puke, or faint in a work out, which is what I do with Insanity. It does burn an insane amount of calories, I run faster, jump higher, and have such a greater endurance with Insanity. I'm half marathon training for several races this winter, I do Insanity 5 days a week and run 1 day, on my rest day, I do Yoga only.

I'd suggest starting with something a little less intense which you may be more likely to stick with. I've had so many people tell me "I bought the DVD's and they are still sitting in a box in my living room".

Look at You Tube Videos first IMO.
  • LadyG33
    Options
    i have done insanity workout...it is non-stop, high intensity cardio. some of the moves killed my lower back. personally, my body responds to a workout consisting of strength and cardio but throwing this in every so often is a good challenge. i like bob harpers cardio kettlebell dvd-have u tried that? now i am doing RIPPED IN 30 which is great
    good luck

No I have not tried Bob Harper's; however, I did the 30DS. I don't have a lot of time to make it to the gym, but would like a good workout, and to have something give me a bit of toning (definition).
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that I was wondering the same thing before i started it but I got GREAT results from it! I did P90X first, moved to Insanity and got more definition all over with it! It's because you use your own body weight and it is really effective.. it's the real deal. I loved every minute of it even though throughout the workout I was cussing at times!!!! After that I did a P90X/Insanity mix :)