Testing For PCOS

Options
2 years ago I was having my annual exam and talking to my Gyn. about how I have irregular periods (they've been really messed up even from the beginning) and wondering why that would be happening. She said that I have PCOS but that there is no way to test for it so I just need to go on the Mediterranean Diet and the pill, which will fix everything.

The problem is that I don't have any of the symptoms other than my messed up periods. At my max weight of 280 lbs, it really was because I would gorge myself every day. At the point of the exam I weighed 197 and the only reason I was that heavy was from the binge eating. I've never eaten healthy, so I'm not sure how my body handles carbs (which I understand women with PCOS have a problem with). I don't have any male-pattern baldness or diabetes. My thyroid is fine. In fact as far as I remember from when I was hospitalized last year; there isn't anything wrong with me except that my electrolytes were totally screwed up (do to my ED).

I guess the whole point of this ramble is: For those of you with PCOS -- were there any tests run that I can have done so I can make sure whether or not I have PCOS. I do wish to have children some day and if there's something I can do to help treat the PCOS, then I want to be on top of that.

If the only answer for treatment is birth control, then I'm out of luck because another medication I'm on prevents the absorption of the birth control. It's really rather frustrating.

Replies

• MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    YES they most certainly can test for it --- tell your doctor to refer you to Endocrinologist who knows more than she does :)

FYI I have had PCOS for many years and never taken birth control. (of course one of the symptioms of PCOS is high infertility and the reason i was never able to have kids -- but not need birth control was nice) One of the things that they often put you on is metformin - which is also taken by people with diabetes. I actually don't take anything anymore -- but its the reason I eat low carb.
  • AshleyS15
    AshleyS15 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i have pcos but a pelvic sonogram and all my symptons prompted the diagnosis. i think losing weight and eating right is the only way to control it.
  • sonybalony
    sonybalony Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I go to my Dr next week, I will ask him what tests helped him determine my PCOS diagnosis (I am pretty much the poster child for symptoms of it though)

Sonia
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    My doctor was able to diagnose me withing 10 mins of my first visit with him. A simple blood work-up confirmed it.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    http://soulcysters.com

http://soulcysters.net

More info than you could ever want :)
  • jennstults
    Options
    Hi! I have had PCOS for years and it is possible for you to have children. It is not easy but it is possible. I have 3 but I have also lost 6. I come from a family of PCOS. My mother and grandmother both have it and so do I. I would say that you need to monitor your blood glucose. Most women with PCOS are also diabetic. Weight and stress are also a factor with PCOS but with diet, exercise, and some general healthy living it can be managed. If you are having the traditional PCOS symptoms there is a medication that you can ask your OB about called metformin. Good luck!

Jenn
  • New_Hope
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This is really helpful!
  • robinellis
    Options
    i have PCOS and it was diagnosed from blood work. my androgen levels are very very high and my progesterone levels are very very low. Also they can check to see that whether or not you have cysts on your ovaries ect ect. i agree with the above poster about seeing an endocrinologist, i have my appt finally next month after fighting with my Gyn for the last year with no results.
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    It amazes me how oblivious OBGYNs/Drs are to PCOS, and think that putting you on a specific diet or medication will fix all of your problems. Wrong, wrong and wrong. I agree with asking your OBGYN for a recommendation to an endocrinologist that knows more than she does. Simple blood work will be more than enough to tell them if you have PCOS or not.

Chances are, your horrible eating habits caused amenorrhea, which is very common with really bad eating habits whether it be eating too much junk or too little food in general.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    There are a few other symptoms such as acne, dark skin behind the neck, arm pits, or inside the arm, dark body hair or excessive hair, even skin tags and holding most of your weight around your tummy. Have all of these things yet my blood sugars are perfect. The only treatment is birth control, Metformin and weight loss.
  • MollyGirl32
    MollyGirl32 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There is no ONE conclusive test for PCOS, however, there are multple tests that are used to diagnose PCOS. The reason for this is that PCOS is a syndrome -- and so some women with PCOS have some of the symptoms, others have other symptoms, and some of use have ALL of the symptoms. No one test works for all of this.
    For me, I was diagnosed through an ultrasound of my ovaries which showed that I had multiple cysts. Additionally, I was given blood work which showed that my male hormone levels were high and my insulin levels were showing insulin resistance. I also had the following symptoms: Unexplained weight gain, missed periods, cysts, acne, facial hair, skin tags, insulin resistance, etc.
    Here are the official symptoms-- again - not all women with PCOS have all of these - some women with PCOS are thin and don't have any acne or cysts even!
    obesity and weight gain,
    elevated insulin levels and insulin resistance
    oily skin,
    dandruff,
    infertility,
    skin discolorations,
    high cholesterol levels,
    elevated blood pressure, and
    multiple, small cysts in the ovaries.

You should see a different doctor - get a second opinion.

Many women with PCOS do not go on the pill and treat their PCOS without use of PCOS.

A good site to consult is Soul Cysters (just google it).

Good luck!
  • sheisbrown
    sheisbrown Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    There are some test that can be done to see what might be going on for you. It might help to see an endocrinologist. Once I got in to see one she did a host of test to tests for not just PCOS but also thyroid issues, cretine levels, etc. Blood work can also be done to see your fasting sugar levels as well as hormone levels which can indicate if you have PCOS or not. Sounds to me like you might need a doctor that is willing to work with you about your options. Unfortunately, its very common that some doctors just don't really want to work with women with PCOS and just want to put you on BC. There are other ways to control it whch have a lot to do with diet and exercise. Metformin is also commonly used for women with PCOS just to help get blood sugar levels under control.
  • ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My doctor did an ultrasound of my ovaries and found mine. I take 500mg of Metformin 3 times a day, basically with each meal. Due to high blood pressure I can't take the pill, but it was never offered to me as a treatment. I wasn't aware it was until I saw people talking about it on this site. I was told you NEED to ovulate in order for the cysts to burst and considering the pill should keep you from ovulating, I'm not sure how that works in helping the problem with the ovaries. I don't have any other symptoms either, other than the period problems and of course a weight problem, but like you, I've never really tried to get healthy before and my weight issues started long before puberty. I do have blood pressure problems, but I would attribute that more to weight and family history, than pcos.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    they did an ultrasound on my ovaries when I was a teenager & having nightmarish month-long periods. Luckily, I had a church leader who also had PCOS & was really helpful during this time, and she figured out I had PCOS long before the doctors ever did.
    Oh, and if the hair on your chest doesn't give it away, you probably should get tested :P
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    O_O Your gynaecologist told you that there's no way to test for PCOS? You need a new gynaecologist, and you should report your current one to your health department.

The standard workup for diagnosing PCOS is as follows:

1. Rule out differentials.
    2. Run labs
    -Fasting blood glucose to rule out diabetes
    -Elevated LH/FSH ration >2.5
    -Prolactin level elevation? (roughly 25% of cases)
    -Elevated androgens (testosterone, DHEA-S)
    3. Imaging
    -Pelvic US or CT revealing presence of twofold/fivefold ovarian enlargement with thickened tunica albuginea, thecal hyperplasia, and 20 or more subcapsular follicles from 1 to 15 mm in diameter.

Source: Clinical Advisor

So, yes, there is actually a very definitive way of testing for and confirming a PCOS diagnosis. The fact that your gynaecologist doesn't know this is terrifying. In comparison, I am only a LPN and there are also people here with zero medical training telling you how bad your gyn is. Girl, get a new gynaecologist. It's in your best interest.

Good luck to you. I hope you don't have PCOS.

Candace Prescott
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    There are tests to PCOS. There are soo many symptoms for PCOS..I have only a few
    Hair on chin
    No period
    weight gain
    hypothyroid
    insulin resistance

But no balding or cysts

I am now on Metformin to control the insulin and Armour Thyroid to control the hypothyroidism. I have about 4 pounds to go..I am taking blood tests in about a month and then from there, the doc is going to re-evaluate the meds..
  • angila116
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS about a year ago. They did several blood work ups and ultrasound of my ovaries. After I went through all the testing they concluded that my ovaries did not have enough cysts (everyone has some cysts) to be classified as PCOS but I had all the symptoms of it so they went ahead and diagnosed me with it. I decided I'd give metformin (2000 mg) a try to see if it helped... For me it has not helped at all, I am on birth control by choice due to the fact that I can not financially afford a child, and there is still a chance for women with pcos (with or w ith out med) to become pregnant. Birth control is the only reason I get my period, other wise I would only get it once a year. I am not convinced that I have pcos so I have been doing my own investigating (thanks webmd) and I believe I have Cushings disease. So I am getting tested for it next week. They have a lot of the same symptoms and are often misdiagnosed. It is possible to have both PCOS and Cushings. So for others like me who are not satisfied with their diagnosis, I would definitely advise you to get more than 1 doctors opinion and always verify through friends, family, internet, or whatever that the information is accurate. I have a hard time finding a doctor that will LISTEN to me and who is dedicated to helping me. :(