best choice from a soda fountain?

Options
So I eat subway a lot. And I get the meal which comes with a medium drink.

I usually opt for Cherry Coke or Hi-C. I've been trying to stay away from diet sodas.

Should Hi-C be better than the sodas? I figure it's got vitamin C and it's not full of sodium or other stuff that ends with phosphate.

Replies

• rhonda999
    rhonda999 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I GO W/ DIET SODAS OR WATER
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    WATER
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Just get unsweetened iced tea with some lemon. I've never been to a Subway that doesn't have iced tea as an option.
  • ambercanfly
    ambercanfly Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I love their unsweetened iced tea. I think it's Fuze? That's probably the best option if you have to get a drink.
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I think getting regular soda or Hi-C instead of diet soda is just trading one evil for another. Not sure, but I would think Hi-C would be pretty sugary. Why not water?
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of the light lemonade!
  • aochoa123
    aochoa123 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    See if you can subsitute the drink for water. Water is your best choice. Diet sodas are full of sodium. Stay away from them as much as possible.
  • KMSForLife
    Options
    I would get a bottled water (can't stand the water that comes from soda machines). I think it costs a bit extra but it's worth it to me.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    h2o
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened Tea. It is available at Subway/
  • hometoast
    Options
    I drink LOTS of water throughout the day. I just really like to have something to counteract the mustard and peppers on my sandwich and water doesn't do it.

To all who suggested tea, I'll make sure I look for it -- I never noticed it at the one I frequent. That would be perfect, since it has some taste to it.
  • nagaisgich
    Options
    I'm with Rhonda. Definitely avoid Cherry Coke and other fountain drinks including Hi-C. that is sugar you don't need. Isn't it better to save your sugar consumption for something that is actually worth it like a small piece of home made dessert or a granola bar snack? If you don't want to have diet sodas, which I don't blame you, then don't buy the combo meal option. Just have your sub alone and pop into a corner store for a bottle of water... or have tea (which l prefer with no sugar or milk, luckily) or water later.
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Water. Everthing else is equally bad for you.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    water or tea or even some paces offer milk I am not sure if subway does or not but anything is better than ANY soda. Those lemonades have just as much sugar so if those are the options you can go with either. Maybe have a smaller size or only fill it half way.

also carbonated water should be available. it has tiny bit of sodium but, no sugar at all or calories and you will feel like you are drinking soda.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Just get a bottled water.

Also, in regards to eating Subway "a lot" based on what I've read, that's not really a good thing.

They actually add chemicals to their bread to give it that toasty brown color. Plus, you're getting a lot of added sodium with their meats (and the meat is from factory farms...)

"If a sandwich is advertised as healthy, one would expect that the bread would be whole grain. Not so with Subway's wheat bread. While it does have some whole wheat flour, it's the third ingredient, listed just before high fructose corn syrup [4]. None of Subway's breads are whole grain. Ammonium sulfate (a fertilizer) is also added. Unfinished sandwiches may be composted. The bread also contains azodicarbonamide. From Wikipedia,

Use of azodicarbonamide as a food additive is banned in Australia. In the UK, the Health and Safety Executive has identified azodicarbonamide as a respiratory sensitiser (a possible cause of asthma) and determined that products should be labeled with May cause sensitisation by inhalation [5].

Most of the meats at Subway contain MSG and/or sodium nitrite.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/022194.html#ixzz1ZMUlg3Kp"
  • hometoast
    Options
    Just get a bottled water.

Also, in regards to eating Subway "a lot" based on what I've read, that's not really a good thing.

They actually add chemicals to their bread to give it that toasty brown color. Plus, you're getting a lot of added sodium with their meats (and the meat is from factory farms...)

"If a sandwich is advertised as healthy, one would expect that the bread would be whole grain. Not so with Subway's wheat bread. While it does have some whole wheat flour, it's the third ingredient, listed just before high fructose corn syrup [4]. None of Subway's breads are whole grain. Ammonium sulfate (a fertilizer) is also added. Unfinished sandwiches may be composted. The bread also contains azodicarbonamide. From Wikipedia,

Use of azodicarbonamide as a food additive is banned in Australia. In the UK, the Health and Safety Executive has identified azodicarbonamide as a respiratory sensitiser (a possible cause of asthma) and determined that products should be labeled with May cause sensitisation by inhalation [5].

Most of the meats at Subway contain MSG and/or sodium nitrite.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/022194.html#ixzz1ZMUlg3Kp"

I'm considering it the lesser of the evils when I don't bring something home that I've packed. The sodium in their breads is insane; you're right about that.

I did not know about the crappy quality of their bread tough. Thanks for bringing that up.
  • taco_tap
    taco_tap Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I drink the vitamin water there. They should have them in a fridge somewhere. I also LOVE water. Im a total fish though. I know a lot of ppl arent a fan. Anyways, if you dont like water, vitamin water is the way to go to get away from the soda fountain :)
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

I did not know about the crappy quality of their bread tough. Thanks for bringing that up.

You're welcome. I did not know either that they add the fertilizer to make the bread appear brown and that the bread is not actually whole grain. It's just an example of a fast food place selling you something that is not true. Also, the fact that this additive is illegal in other countries kinda weirds me out.
  • wendibartel
    Options
    I would suggest not getting the meal and bringing your own drink water of course is the best but you could do something like crystal light for flavor way better then the sodas.

If you get the meal because you think it is cheaper its really not especially if you dont want the drink.

Although my last thought is your worrying about the soda being unhealthy Subway is loaded with sodium itself. Hopefully you are getting the salads and not sandwhiches.