New here

Hi, just joined and getting up to speed on the myfitness app. I'm a 69 year old guy, just started a clinical trial for a new glp 1 medicine. The study is to determine if the medicine improves cardiac risk in obese people without diabetes.

Also would appreciate the recommendation of a good finesse tracker or watch that works well with the app.

Thanks for any advice.

Gary

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,589 Member
    Hi, Gary, and welcome!

That clinical trial sounds interesting. I hope you get some benefits from it.

I hope you don't mind me teasing you a little, but I picked up on that "finesse tracker" typo (probably one of those weird autocorrect things :) ). But I like it. I need a finesse tracker, because I'm about as subtle as a concrete block. :D

I'm 68, been here since 2015, just under a year of loss from obese to healthy weight, maintaining a healthy weight since.

As far as fitness trackers go, I do have a Garmin, and like it a lot. But I don't sync it to MFP (reasons are complicated and won't apply to most others, so I won't belabor them here).

As a generality, syncing a tracker to MFP is a good route to go. Even a tracker is just estimating, though in quite a nuanced way. The good ones will be pretty close for a majority of people, and 4-6 weeks of relying on one will tell you whether you're in that majority or not. Even when not synced to MFP, they're IMO kind of fun, interesting, useful.

From reading posts here, it seems like the folks who sync Garmin report fewer sync problems than the Fitbit users, and there's some question about whether Apple created their MFP interface properly (though it's successful in practice for some). I don't have any impressions about the other brands sync capabilities.

In general, it seems like Fitbits have a shorter lifespan than some of the others. I've had 2 Garmins, but the old one didn't die: It needed a new battery because it was depleting faster (which required an authorized service center), but I decided to upgrade to a newer model because I wanted some of the new features. (I use mine for tracking some fitness activities: Pace, heart rate during workouts, that sort of thing.) I think I'd had the first one for around 3 years before I replaced it.

If you don't get good answers here about that which trackers are most reliable or sync best (since I'm just babbling about second-hand impressions), I'd suggest posting a question in either Health and Weight Loss or Fitness and Exercise sections of the Community, with a specific thread title about the reliability/quality of the tracker brands and their sync with MFP.

Wishing you much success here with MFP (and your GLP-1 trial)!
  • Kotkoda005
    Kotkoda005 Posts: 69 Member
    Welcome and that sounds really interesting! :)

I personally use a Garmin and have never had issues with it. I will be looking at getting another one if this one ever dies.
  • jas0441
    jas0441 Posts: 13 Member
    Good luck Gary. I am 70. And just started zepbound yesterday.
  • mwright5806
    mwright5806 Posts: 20 Member
    Good Luck Gary & Everyone, I am new here. I started on May 11, 2024. My doctor was concerned about my BMI and my weight She put me on 2.5 Zepbound, along with a low-cal diet, and try to increase my exercise as able. I have Modic type 1 endplate changes to my endplates in my spine. It's very painful! I had multiple surgeries in 2023, but my Neurosurgeon said there is nothing more he can do, the risks far outweigh the benefits. I have gained weight from being practically immobile for a year now. I stretch every day, some things I can't do, but I have a health coach and I work with a Physical Therapist to adjust my exercises when needed.

I had my first dose on Monday, 5/14/24 and I have followed the low-cal diet and not hungry at all. I feel fatigued but am increasing my protein and electrolytes. I am excited to walk (I use a walker because my Modic Type 1 changes cause me to randomly fall).. Anyway, I am excited and motivated and staying very positive! I am only 60 years old!
  • mwright5806
    mwright5806 Posts: 20 Member
    I've lost 12.4 lbs in 2.5 weeks. Crazy loss. I've been working on it. I usually do one meal per day. I started out walking 1.4 miles and am now at 4 miles a day walking. No speed records. I have to use a walker. But increased energy for sure on ZB. I am losing inches I can tell because clothes fit better. Week 3 I have so far experienced fluctuations in my weight. I gained, but hope to even out in the next 3 days when my 4th shot is due. This is my first-month using ZP on 2.5 mg and on Monday at 3:00 pm I will inject 5 mg. I am guessing the weight gain in 3rd week (only 1 lb) is due to my increased walking. Can't be the food. Not drinking alcohol either. So guessing that's the reason.