Hi, new to myfitnesspal

Options
Hi fellow health seekers! I'm Kelly, and I just started using this app to help me track my macros and keep a food diary that doesn't involve using any math skills.

What is your nutritional lifestyle? Keto? Vegan? Mediterranean? I'd love to know, and why you chose that particular diet plan.

Replies

• caylapal888
    caylapal888 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hii, Kelly! I am a dairy free vegetarian. I chose this lifestyle for health, spiritual, and moral reasons.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,847 Member
    Options
    Hi, Kelly! I guess you could call my eating plan a "Portionist" since I do not exclude anything, but I do keep tight control over portion sizes. This way I do not feel I am missing out on anything, whether pizza or desserts.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,884 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome, Kelly!

I've been ovo-lacto vegetarian for nearly 50 years, but I don't feel like that has any relationship to weight loss, since I was thin then overweight then obese then thin again, all eating mostly the same foods, just different portion sizes and and frequencies. (I don't personally think vegetarianism is inherently healthier either.)

Not to be a downer, but I'm not sure logging food here is necessarily zero math skills. However, I do think that I've gotten better at remembering numbers and doing simple arithmetic since starting calorie counting (almost 9 years now, loss then maintenance). That carries over helpfully into daily life. There is a tiny bit of arithmetic sometimes in figuring portion sizes and that sort of thing. (I remember trying to help someone here who was eating a frozen pizza. The label had calories for 1/3 pizza, and they were wondering what to do if they had eaten 1/5 pizza instead.) But it's not extreme, and MFP does do a bunch of the routine arithmetic for us, for sure.

Wishing you success!
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    @nossmf, a portionist, 🤣🤣🤣 love that
    @gunnsgirl91303, welcome, my doctor has recommended I eat gluten free dairy free for my autoimmune disease. My macros are 30%carbs, 30% protein, 40% fat. I mostly eat organic, grass fed, wild caught, free range, pasture raised, non gmo, gluten free, dairy free. But I struggle sometimes adhering to such a strict diet. I don’t recommend it unless working a doctor or nutritionist. I’d much prefer to be able to eat anything and everything in just smaller portions like nossmf up there but I can definitely say my lifestyle has helped with my autoimmune symptoms so it’s worth it 👍.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much just an omnivore. Keto upsets my stomach. Vegan has never appealed. Med requires more domestic labor than I would ever, ever commit to food. So I just eat a little of everything. I haven't tracked calories for a few months now, so no idea what my macros are, I just know I'm feeling good. I've lost about 10 pounds with a more intuitive eating approach, so no plans to do more than a little "spot-tracking" to check in on macros from time to time.
  • gunnsgirl91303
    gunnsgirl91303 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome ladies! Your comments just prove that there is no one-size-fits-all eating plan and it takes a lot of experimentation to figure out what works best for ourselves.