My fitness pal and iwatch

Options
psullivan001
psullivan001 Posts: 1 Member
I am having trouble figuring out how My Fitness Pal interacts with the iwatch. My Iwatch always is asking me if I want to record my exercise minutes when I go for a walk but it also is giving me calories for my step count. That seems like it’s double dipping to me. For instance if I go on a two mile walk I get the iwatch adjustment calories but I also get exercise calories. Should I not be recording my exercise minutes since it is counting steps as well?ibz2hq2s3vdk.png

I have attached what I mean. Any help understanding this would be appreciated because I would like to get both! Thanks.

Answers

• teardropterry
    teardropterry Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would turn off the calorie adjustment. Just count steps per day not calories.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    edited June 5
    Options
    The Apple Watch adjustment rebalances your activity, versus the activity level you chose when you set up your goals.

If you’re doing more movement than your chosen level, it will give you additional credit.

You may have chose sedentary or lightly active, in which case your step count exceeds that level.

It can also work in the other direction. I do a lot of activity, and the Apple Watch adjustment typically takes a large deduction because of “double dipping”- as you’ve recognized.

For example, this is my Saturday exercise log. There’s a deduction because I recorded several walks, and there were steps incorporated in my yoga classes I did, too. I never record the walk to/from my yoga studio, and it recognizes that as well. So when it looks at my step count, it calculates and adjusts for my “highly active” setting. .
    em5vdxs8rt81.png

I find it to be pretty accurate, but it can be crazy aggravating to work your tail end off and find a 400+ deduction in your log some days.

You can turn it off in settings if it bothers you.

Not trying to sound snarky or judgy, but if “all” you’re doing is walking (and you’re putting up some fine numbers!!!!) I’d deactivate the adjustment. If you start doing other stuff, reactivate it, so you’re not getting the double credit. The more active you are, the more you’ll need it.

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    Options
    Would also like to add, my tracking device (Apple Watch in my case) combined with MFP completely rocked my world.

It was using both that opened my eyes to the “cost” of calories and helped me lose 40% of my starting weight.

You’ve got a gift on your wrist, if you utilize it wisely.