I am a diabetic I use pre measured meals. But today I had only 2 white castles and watermelon

Options
Why is my blood sugar still high?

Answers

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    As guess is that you are eating too many carbs.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    This is a question for your medical team.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    Watermelon has a lot of sugar.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Hi, did you enter the foods in the food tracker?

Did you eat the foods together in 1 meal? Is the total grams of carbs similar to your regular meal?

Did you test 2 hours after you stopped eating. Do you test after the same time of day meal, and is this a high number for you today?

Are you well today? Illness can kick numbers up..

It is hard to assess unless you have a feel for what is typical for you by testing... and see how carbs spike your #'s. Tracking and testing and keeping a record will help to understand when your #'s are steady or are changing so you can get help.

A diabetic educator and doctors can help you figure out what is happening, what to look for, and recheck on your next periodic bloodwork will also help your medical team adjust the recommendations for you.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,857 Member
    edited June 3
    Options
    As guess is that you are eating too many carbs.

It’s more likely that OP’s blood sugar level tanked and the liver went into emergency mode and dumped a bunch of stored sugar through the process of gluconeogenesis.

https://dtc.ucsf.edu/types-of-diabetes/type1/understanding-type-1-diabetes/how-the-body-processes-sugar/the-liver-blood-sugar/

If we take OP’s reported consumption of 2 White Castle burgers and some watermelon, I assume that is a calorie intake of 2(sliders = 16 carbs and 140 calories (17/150 in New York and New Jersey)) = 280/300 calories. Adding about 100 calories for a “watermelon wedge” (about 2 1/2 cups of diced watermelon)
    Minimum calories for OP’s day is only 380 calories
    i2jrd495vf7b.jpeg

Even if OP ate 5 times that much watermelon, they could very easily have experienced a drop in blood sugar that could have triggered the liver to dump stored sugar into OP’s blood.

I am not saying for sure this is what happened. But it is a strong possibility. Something I have personally experienced.
    This is not a good thing to have happen repeatedly. It’s one big reason why it’s important for most diabetics to have regular meals and snacks throughout their day.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sometimes blood sugar stays elevated after eating a meal and takes longer to come down.