HI GUYS... ITS MY FIRST POST !!

Options
Hi all!
This is my first post. Just wanted to say hello and share my story.

All my life I have been the quintessential yo-yo dieter. I will diet for a few months (usually Weight Watchers)…lose some weight then hit a plateau and become discouraged. Sometimes I would try to work through the plateau, but always end up throwing in the towel at some point and gain back all that I had lost …and THEN some.

BUT! I found the secret to losing weight! Crazy thing is…it’s no secret at all. In all my previous attempts to lose weight I was missing one major component. EXERCISE! Yes…I have heard it all my life. “Eat right and exercise” but never actually did it.

A little over a year ago right in the middle of summer I decided (again) to take a swing at dieting. It began as it always does. I lose pretty fast right out of the gate then settle into a couple of pounds per week…then one pound per week…then one pound every other week…then whammo! Plateau! This time I was determined to get this done and got a treadmill. Broke through the plateau and began losing weight again. This was pushing me near 25-30 lbs loss. Yea! Then of course I hit another plateau. Still determined to get this done I bought a used Bowflex on craigslist. Now I pound the treadmill every morning and do strength training 3-4 days a week.
It has taken me over a year…but I have lost almost 50lbs! Yeah…I know, that’s kinda slow. But I am pleased. It’s getting really tough now though. A friend of mine suggested I try this site out. Primarily I just use the ap. I have never tried just straight up calorie counting before; this ap makes it really easy.

I would like to get another 20lbs off. Hope to do it here with My Fitness Pals.

It aint over yet!

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to share.

Replies

• pattynava
    Options
    Welcome, and Job Well Done! Good luck ! :smile:
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    welcome! you'll love it here.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Ok I admit, I didn't read all this post.. but Welcome to the boards!! Good luck
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    So glad to meet you. . what a great journey you are having. . .Love that you shared a lot about you as. . it mirrors a lot of my own attitudes when it comes to losing the weight. . .Would love to have you on my friends list . Regardless. . the best of luck to you in all that you do~
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Isn't success fun?! Keep up the good work.
  • gissenaas
    gissenaas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :happy: :laugh: :happy: Welcom:):happy: :happy:
  • annamol912
    annamol912 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    Thats great. I'm always really encouraged when people succeed. Keep up the good work!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    50-pounds is great! :drinker:

Welcome and keep up the great work! :smile:
  • mary127
    mary127 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Welcome, you'll love it here. I also started with just using the app to log calories and then started walking, which led to other exercises including jogging (I've NEVER been a runner or liked it before now) and now a variety of exercises that I love. You'll find so much support here, so many great people. Feel free to send me a friend request. Best of luck to you

:smile:

Mary
  • moalebri
    moalebri Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Your post sounds like we are twins. I have done the exact same thing- lose pretty quickly (up to a pound a day which I know is too fast) and then I always hit the wall. Last year I went on WW, and when I hit the plateau, I asked them what to do. Their answer? They really didn't have any suggestions for me. So of course I got frustrated and quit, gaining back the 25 I had lost.

Yes the key is excercise. My worry is that if I have to keep adding more and more to keep from plateauing, how much time it is eventually going to be? I can't drop my life and committments to excercise non stop. Oh well, guess I will figure that out.

Another amazing thing I have found is Pilates. After back surgery almost 10 years ago, my surgeon suggested yoga and pilates. It is amazing how much it iimproves your muscle tone, posture and balance. Those core excercises work on your stomach and help decrease the tummy and waist. All you need is space, a mat and a DVD or tape (I like the Gaiam series with Ana Caban) to get started. It makes a great alternative to the treadmill or bike and although it doesn't burn as many calories it sure makes you feel good after a work out.

Keep up your good work- sounds like you are well on your way!!
    Molly
  • CJK1959
    CJK1959 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Good job so far and you sound so motivated I am sure you will succeed!
  • basscyn
    Options
    WOW!

Thanks for all the responce. This site must be busier than I thought.
    Looking forward to this leg of my journey.
  • basscyn
    Options
    LOL.
    ...I probably wouldnt have either.

Thanks for the welcome!
  • basscyn
    Options
    Cant have too many friends!

Thanks!
  • basscyn
    Options
    Ok...sorry. Now I get the whole "quote"..."reply" deal.

Rookie!
  • basscyn
    Options
    Your post sounds like we are twins. I have done the exact same thing- lose pretty quickly (up to a pound a day which I know is too fast) and then I always hit the wall. Last year I went on WW, and when I hit the plateau, I asked them what to do. Their answer? They really didn't have any suggestions for me. So of course I got frustrated and quit, gaining back the 25 I had lost.

Yes the key is excercise. My worry is that if I have to keep adding more and more to keep from plateauing, how much time it is eventually going to be? I can't drop my life and committments to excercise non stop. Oh well, guess I will figure that out.

Another amazing thing I have found is Pilates. After back surgery almost 10 years ago, my surgeon suggested yoga and pilates. It is amazing how much it iimproves your muscle tone, posture and balance. Those core excercises work on your stomach and help decrease the tummy and waist. All you need is space, a mat and a DVD or tape (I like the Gaiam series with Ana Caban) to get started. It makes a great alternative to the treadmill or bike and although it doesn't burn as many calories it sure makes you feel good after a work out.

Keep up your good work- sounds like you are well on your way!!
    Molly

LOL. Yes...I have the same concerns about exercise. At some point I will have to run a 5k every weekend to lose weight.
    I think the trick is to keep changing up the routine. I think my body gets use to what im doing and doesnt respond.

I do hope at some point I reach a weight that I can say...ok...im there. Now I just need to maintain.

Pilates?
    Thats a new one for me. I will definetly look in to that. Might be the shake-up im looking for!