Getting to goal Body Fat - HELP Experts!

Options
Hi Friends!

So I need some suggestions from the fitness gurus out there. I have been on MFP for about 8 months and lost around 16 lbs. I have seen huge changes in body and dropped several sizes. I have been tracking body fat on a Omron Handheld since mid-February have gone from 26.2% to 22% (as of this morning...it flucuates). I work out regularly, mostly doing weights and circuit training. To give you an idea, I've gotten a lot of my work outs from figure athlete. When I do cardio I try to focus on HIIT rather than steady state. I've been all over the place on calorie levels/diet. (I know I need better compliance in this area) but right now I am at 1490 cals with 40/30/30 carbs, fat, protein.

I want to get to around 19% body fat. Weight is irrelevant, but I have my goal set at 134. I am 5'5.5", currently 139 lbs. This is what I need from the experts:

- Good ideas for a new 5 day/week routine
- Suggestions on calorie level
- diet composition (Honest caveat: while I would love to say I will adhere, I won't always. I am 23, I go out to dinner with friends, drink, etc. but I still want to know what direction I should be heading in!)
- Other ideas

THANK YOU!

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    You need to 'eat clean' my friend. I was where you are, but no longer.....
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Eat clean and lift heavy, there's no real trick.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    I'm not looking for the secret. I know I need to lift heavy and eat clean.

My question were: what are some heavy lifting routines? What should my clean diet break down to? What calorie level should I be shooting for? General advice, well appreciated, is not why I posted!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    - Good ideas for a new 5 day/week routine
    - Suggestions on calorie level
    - diet composition (Honest caveat: while I would love to say I will adhere, I won't always. I am 23, I go out to dinner with friends, drink, etc. but I still want to know what direction I should be heading in!)
    - Other ideas

With the amount you are looking at losing and the fact you already have a healthy BF%, I would suggest setting your goal to lose no more than 0.5 lbs/week and to make sure you eat your exercise calories back.

Your ratio's seem good given your goals (although some might suggest 40% protein) aim for 1 grams per lbs of lean body mass which would be around 0.8 grams of your current weight given your body fat %, then workout what % protein that is.

As for routine I am not sure what you are doing, but I would suggest doing compound moves, and to lift heavy to where you cannot do more than 6-10 reps in each set. (the last couple of reps in each set should be difficult to do with good form).
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    first of all i'd take the Omron results with a grain of salt, BIA devices aren't the greatest in terms of accuracy, look into someone who is experienced with calipers, or a bodpod test or a DEXA scan to get a reading on your bf%

i have no real idea of your activity levels, but a deficit of around 20% to your TDEE wouldn't be a bad place to start and i'd focus on lifting vs tons of cardio

as for diet, i'd prob bump up your protein to around 130ish grams at a minimum and fats around 49g at a minimum and fill in the rest of your cals as you see fit

and honestly you can shed bodyfat and not eat clean, eat foods you like and maintain your deficit while lifting and keeping protein levels adequate and you'll get where you want to be
  • Mgrogers09
    Mgrogers09 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The diet part i think you already know- eat clean, tons of protein, and make sure your getting your macros. As for the lifting i may have a suggestion- you should be utilizing just compound exersizes of the major muscle groups (i.e. benches, squats, presses,etc) you burn the most calories when you work the bigger muscles so your going to burn more fat as those muscles develope some size (or mass).

I got my workout routine from Bodybuilding.com and its for cutting BF% while building on muscle. i have been doing it for two weeks and really like it.
    monday- chest and arms (light cardio)
    tuesdays- abs and HIIT
    Wednesday- Back and shoulder (light cardio)
    Thursday- Abs and HIIT
    Friday- Legs (light cardio)

i can email you the PDF's if you want specifics
  • chuisle
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. Questions:

I definitely need to up protein levels...its a good day that I get to my protein goals. I also don't currently use protein supplements. Would you suggest using those? If so, what should the timing be (after work out, for instance, but would it also be something I should do in the morning even if I don't work out then?) and what kind?

On calories...this is where I get confused. 1490 (current level) is where MFP has me now. I tend to eat back exercise cals. TDEE calculator has me 2241 cals (at moderate exercise level) and 1735 at light (not counting my work outs). The diffence in suggested calories ranged from 1388 to 1790.

On body fat..I know its not the best. Hopefully will be getting caliper measured soon.

On exercise...all about the lifting heavy and compound movement but I need a routine. For example: if I find a routine that's 3 days a week, say, MWF, what should my T/Th look like? How much rest should I build in?
  • prdough
    prdough Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I was always told to use the big 5 compound lifts to generate muscle growth.

-Dead Lifts
    -Squats
    -Bench Press
    -pull ups/rows
    -Cleans/shoulder press

All the curls and whatnot that work the "glory muscles" don't do much for full body muscle growth, and are only for toning up after your muscular base is established.

Im no expert though. This seems to be a lot of what the body building world recommends
  • chuisle
    Options
    I was always told to use the big 5 compound lifts to generate muscle growth.

-Dead Lifts
    -Squats
    -Bench Press
    -pull ups/rows
    -Cleans/shoulder press

All the curls and whatnot that work the "glory muscles" don't do much for full body muscle growth, and are only for toning up after your muscular base is established.

Im no expert though. This seems to be a lot of what the body building world recommends

I do a lot of dead lifts, squats, lunges, pull ups, presses (negative and assisted, not strong enough for real ones yet). I don't really bench (should i?).

I do have a DECENT muscle base for a woman (lifting consistently since March or so) and I'm not scared of difficult lifts.
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • njbooklover
    njbooklover Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chuisle
    Options
    Addendum: a trainer measured my body fat today after class...21.4%! Which was a nice surprise, lower than my handheld.