Overweight and Sleep Apena

Options
Any of you amazing weight loss stories out there that have lost a lot of weight and seen an improvement with lying on your back?

I have not been diagnoised with sleep apena but when I lie on my back or slight press is placed on my chest area when on my back, I get very uncomfortable where it feels like it is harder to breathe. I mean I had a closed MRI done a year ago and I made it but wondering if losing weight helped you with this.

I was listening to some people talking about having extra weight on their chest / stomach and it causes issues with organs. Anyhow, what are your thoughts?

Replies

• ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    When I was at my heaviest (380lbs), I had sleep Apnea and was on a CPAP for about 8 months.
    During that time, I lost my first 55lbs and no longer need the machine and my wife has noticed a huge improvement in my snoring.
  • dshreiner
    Options
    I agree. When I weighed 255, there were lots of complaints about my snoring (especially when we went camping). I would wake my wife, and even myself up, with my snoring. Now that I've lost nearly 50 lbs, my wife says I never wake her up with my snoring. I do feel more comfortable laying on my back as well. I do think that too much weight can play a huge part on the function of your organs, including your lungs.
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with sleep apnea as well. I had my tonsils out and that helped sleeping quite a bit - cleared the airway. Losing the weight has helped just as much. I would like to be retested for the apnea, but not @ $2500 for an overnighter. I feel cured, that's good enough for me.
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I lost probably 15 pounds, and my sleep apnea has cleared up a lot. I actually don't have it anymore. It amazing what weight loss can do for someone!
  • armymil
    armymil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Thank you for the feedback. I will continue with the weight loss and see what happens!