New to the site, fat for a long time

Options
I'm new to myfitnesspal so I thought I would introduce myself. My name is Augie, I'm a 41yo man, and I have struggled my whole life with my weight. I am a yo-yo dieter, lose a bunch, gain a bunch and then gain some extra. Exercise is tough for me because I have arthritis that affects my mobility, but I walk my dogs everyday, ride an exercise bike, and do some wii sports.

Replies

• hjesi78
    Options
    Welcome! I have only been on this site for about a week now and love how much support I get from all my friends on here. Add me if you would like and I be there for support if you need some :) This site is amazing!!!
  • steveh08
    steveh08 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Welcome, I love MFP. You can do this.
  • xinahay123
    Options
    Welcome!! Have you tried Yoga, it is very restorative, and a great way to build strength and flexibility for someone with arthritus!! Good Luck on your journey!
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    welcome!!:flowerforyou:
  • lala1217
    Options
    You can do this! Take one day at a time!
  • HeatherMarie1174
    Options
    Welcome! This site is amazing for motivation! I know I wouldn't have had nearly as much success without the friends I have found on here!

Friend request sent!
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site!
    Love the title. Makes me think of a talk radio show.
    First time Caller, Long time Listener.
    First time Poster, Long time Eater!
  • gabbyhayes82
    Options
    welcome
  • CarolineSuzanneSmith
    Options
    Good for you! You'll find all the support you need here!
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    LOL. i nearly spit my water when i read the title. you can do this! we are here for you!
  • dreamgurl2324
    dreamgurl2324 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

I agree with xinahay123 Yoga is a GREAT excersize to try. It's not as froo froo as people think it is!
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Hi Augie! I have the yo-yo dieting problem too :( I start off strong, get frustrated, start making excuses, and give up. I've only been with this site for a week but it's definitely been very helpful. It really keeps you accountable, gives you encouraging goals, and the people I've "met" on here have been very friendly- it's great to be able to motivate and encourage each other since we're all here for the same reason- to lose weight.

One tip that might help in regards to the arthritis if you want to mix up your routine is to check out youtube for videos such as "chair aerobics" or other exercises that focus on parts of your busy that are in less pain. I once fractured my toe just a couple days after starting an exercise routine. Someone recommended "chair aerobics." I tried it out and it was quite a workout! Basically, it allows you to still do cardio but without the high-impact that comes with running and activities like that.

You're in a good place here though! Best of luck to you! :)

-Moxie
  • julie204
    Options
    hi i have been on this site since sept find it so helpful i am here if you need motivation tips and give advice to each other and to see how were both getting on i was a yo yo dieter and i am determined to do it this time you can add me if you would like:smile:
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you!
  • Texas_Nana
    Texas_Nana Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Welcome Augie! I was fat for a long time too...way too long! This site has been an instrumental tool in my success this time. Make up your mind to make a lifestyle change and you'll feel the difference. I like to tell new dieters, next year is coming whether you lose the weight or not...you might as well be healthy when it gets here! Friend me!
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    You are going to love this site. I have dieted for 40 years and this is the first time I know what I am doing. You can add me as a friend if you like. Good Luck
  • amandachipman
    Options
    Welcome and Good Luck! If you use this tool everyday it will be a great motivator!
  • HeatherMarie1174
    Options
    Welcome to the site!
    Love the title. Makes me think of a talk radio show.
    First time Caller, Long time Listener.
    First time Poster, Long time Eater!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Hey Augie..welcome aboard..you will make friends with the colest and kindest people in the world here, and help you get to where you want to be :-)
  • Bigaug
    Bigaug Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    WOW! Talk about making a large-body feel welcome! Thanks for all of the kind replies. I figured I'd check back in a few hours to see if there were ANY responses, lo and behold I find bunches of them. You people have made my day!

I think I'm better at yogurt than yoga, but tonight I'll try to netflix some yoga videos, see if my creaky joints can take some abuse. The chairobics is not far from what I'm doing now though I've never heard that term, gonna try that too.