Walking 10k steps everyday is necessary to lose leg fat

Options

Walking 10k steps everyday is necessary to lose leg fat 23 votes

Yes
8%
RunStart34v1227 2 votes
No
91%
kbunn06ninerbuffWynterbournekimanandawizzybethweirdfictionnicolemaurerdvmrobertw486AnnPT77runwalkerspiriteagle99MissieGoldericigo2015Lietchikosmickitten9894stegeemeatyourtoastlisakatz2MikemfirestoneJackedeakin 21 votes

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    If it was I’d have lovely slender legs.
  • Jackedeakin
    Jackedeakin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    No
    No, you can't "spot" fat loss. Fat loss is purely down to a calorie deficit. Building muscle can change the shape of your body and make your legs look tighter or thinner, and walking more can be part of that, but you won't lose "fat" off of your legs specifically.

A calorie deficit, more carido exercise (such as walking) to get fitter generally & aid in a calorie deficit and some strength training is the way in which to achieve those goals.
  • TracyL963
    TracyL963 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Only in my dreams...............
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,615 Member
    Options
    Eating fewer calories than you oxidize every day (on average) is necessary to lose leg fat.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    edited June 5
    Options
    No
    Lots of walking and running will tighten your leg muscles, but it won't get rid of fat unless you are eating at a deficit. And even then, people store fat in different parts of their body. I lose weight first in my upper body, last in my thighs. So at a good weight, I'm all bones on top and still have large legs, despite being a 30 mpw runner and 20 mpw walker.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    No
    I don't come anywhere near 10k steps most days - maybe average around half that? - and my legs are reasonably slim, I think. Why? I lost a lot of fat a few years back, and gained some leg muscle even more years back.

Lose fat overall, leg fat will deplete. Individual genetics will determine in what sequence various body areas lose fat. Gain leg muscle through targeted exercise, legs will tighten up . . . but could actually get bigger if a person does lots and lots of very challenging leg exercise. (Don't worry about that, though. It won't happen be likely to happen by accident, only by deliberate hard work. Walking is good exercise, but won't make legs big.)
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options
    Fun fact: the myth about 10,000 steps began as a Japanese ad campaign to sell pedometers. There is some evidence that between 4,500 and 7,500 steps per day is probably beneficial. But no real evidence that you need to hit 10,000.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/10000-steps-a-day-or-fewer-2019071117305
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Fun fact: the myth about 10,000 steps began as a Japanese ad campaign to sell pedometers. There is some evidence that between 4,500 and 7,500 steps per day is probably beneficial. But no real evidence that you need to hit 10,000.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/10000-steps-a-day-or-fewer-2019071117305

Yes, but... there are those facebook ads that even I don't manage to block which tell you to walk your way to slimmer legs! Just walk 10k steps each day and you'll have slim legs and lost 20kg in a month or so.
  • lisakatz2
    lisakatz2 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    No
    I wish. It was only at my lowest weight that I had slender legs (110 lbs at five foot four) but I couldn't maintain. I was 17 percent bodyfat then!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    No
    ANY FAT comes from eating a calorie deficit. Your GENETICS will determine where fat comes off first and last. If it's your legs that gain first and lose last, then that's how it goes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 40 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • katycanoe
    katycanoe Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Exercise will help develop leg muscles but walking is not the only one. Cycling, swimming, rowing, stair master, rollerblading, dance etc all work the legs. To lose fat you need to eat at a calorie deficit. Combine exercise and calorie deficit for a win.