PT's worth it?

Options
I am trying to transition from lifting weights at home to going to a Gym and start lifting heavier weights, due to anxiety the idea of 5ft little me walking over to the weights and lifting is scary haha.

So I've decided that I'll look into getting a PT initially to allow me to gain more confidence to go to the gym. It would start off as once a week but maybe progress to a bit more in the future.

Are PTs worth it? And does it really matter if it's a male or female?

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,871 Member
    Options
    Male or female is strictly a comfort thing, both are equally suited to the task.

PT's are still around because they fill a very important role in the fitness community, both in helping acquaint people with how to exercise as well as cheerleading them through it.

The question comes down to how long do you want to retain the services of a PT. Some gyms offer a complimentary orientation session, and that may be all you need. Or you may want to have a guide for your first few weeks until you gain confidence in yourself, or you may never want the PT challenging to end.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    IMO, no. Speaking just for myself, it's easy to find good channels on YT for form guides (e.g. ex-pro bodybuilder Jonni Shreve is my favorite for this), and personally I'm not intimated nor do I think others need to be. I mean I understand why they might feel that way, I'm just saying that people at the gyms are a) focused on their own thing, b) supportive of beginners joining the hobby, Another reason for needing one is for accountability and cheerleading, which again is something I don't need.

So I understand why it might be helpful or necessary for someone else, especially for a short time when starting out. But for myself, no. In other words, whether it's worth it or not, and for how long, is entirely personal.
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Trainers are great from learning the correct way to lift weights, and getting diet advice.
    I worked with a couple different ones for maybe 5yrs or so.
    They're great for motivating you.
    On the other hand- Im suspicious of their incentives. I dont like wasting time doing mobility stuff during a session, which is a popular activity among some trainers.
  • 2zzgj9dj6m
    2zzgj9dj6m Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started with a trainer. I didn’t stop until after a year and I could write my own workouts. My trainer did look over my workouts and said I was good to go. It really helped to build my confidence and to lift weights correctly.
  • Gsdluv6
    Gsdluv6 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Trainers can be helpful but it’s so individualized as to who works the best with u , ur goals , personalities etc etc. good luck!