Just Friends with Food, Lovers NO MORE

Options
JRW2010
JRW2010 Posts: 10 Member
The TV is in sleep mode and the only sound is coming from the ceiling fan above me, whoosh whoosh. The clock sails past 4:00 AM, as I lay in bed longing to be rescued by sleep that simply won't come. My mind is racing as it accepts the change that happened this weekend, my relationship with food has changed from lover to just friends. As with any breakup, this one comes with some a lot pain. My stomach has been hurting for hours and the pain is a reminder, I am doing the right thing. This after all is my longest relationship, although as toxic as it maybe, any change is difficult.

Labor Day 2011 started with excitement and hope, little did I realize it would mark the biggest psychological change with my journey to lose weight and change my life. I went out to a nice restaurant on Friday, and I had prepared for this dinner by saving calories during the day. I ordered an appetizer of mussels, that were fabulous, but I realized as I gobbled all them down including all the bread on the table, I was probably too hungry. My entree hit the table with a thud, posh meatloaf and mashed potatoes! My stomach was actually full, but my lover was telling me to eat. Every bite was justified because I didn't eat that much during the day. Fast forward one hour and I am sitting at a bar, trying to have a good time, but I am so full I want to die. The cracks in my toxic food relationship have been surfacing,as I have lost this first 60 pounds, but Friday night was the first public blow-up. I laid down the law, no more appetizers and an entree, one or the other. I simply don't want to feel like this ever again.

With Friday night still very fresh in my mind, I enjoyed a great morning with friends and very successfully navigated a mine-field of a lunch. My lover was growing disillusioned and was happy when I ended up at Macaroni Grill the next day. He tried to seduce me with my favorite outfit, warm bread and butter! I did give into some temptation, but still felt sensible. The final blow came later that night. I was on my way home and was craving BBQ for weeks and wanted to get some dinner. My actual friend and I pulled into a place and ordered a meal, but with NO appetizer. As soon as the plate hit the table, I knew it was officially over; six months ago I would have eaten every bite on that plate and not blinked. Part of me wanted to run, but with so much history, so much time invested into this relationship, I stayed. I only ate one rib, some chicken and the mac & cheese (of course), but I wasn't happy or fulfilled. I decided to break the news right then and there, my life is different and I have enjoyed our years together, but from today forward we're only FRIENDS. I won't love you the way I did anymore. I am sure we will still "hook-up" every once in awhile, especially when I am seduced with warm bread and butter, but meals like that one in front of me, God willing will be forever in my past

Replies

• missmcgirt
    Options
    well put!!!!
    that really made me smile :]

we have been on again off again for decades in an unhealthy relationship
    cheers to us!!
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    LOVE this post. This might be the best one I've seen yet.
  • Shells06
    Shells06 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Love it!!! Congratulations on your break up! That is what my profile says...Breaking up with food!" I know exactly how you feel!! Good luck in your journey you are doing great!
  • joyeaann
    joyeaann Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I had an epiphany like this the other day... although I am quite sure I did not put it nearly as humorously! :laugh: but I discovered that I am viewing food as fuel more often than anything else (friend, lover, comfort, etc)
    It is a great feeling! :drinker:
    Congratulations and keep your strength for when that old love comes crawling back to get back together.
    Keep up the great work!
  • genthel
    genthel Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I love this post! Congrats on your breakup! I have gone through a few rough times myself lately...food attempting to trick me into dependency. Thank God for strength, determination and deliverance! I wish you well as you continue your journey.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!