Back to Weight Loss after years Maintaining

Options
Well, I’m officially back to weight loss after years of maintaining.

As a caregiver round-the-clock it’s been challenging. But not impossible!

Need to lose about 5-7 pounds for first goal of 135. And then go for another 3 pound loss to get to 132.

Anyhow, plan to get back to daily exercise here at home - and work it into my day early while Mom still sleeping. Hoping it works out well and I can stick to it. Up a lot at night with Mom so some days I’m exhausted. But I’m really motivated to make it happen!

Starting with cardio with goal of adding back yoga as well down the line, hopefully sooner than later. Have health restrictions and am in and out of remission so level of activity impacted by that.

Any suggestions would be great and also would love to hear about others in similar positions of returning to weight loss from
Maintenance.

Thanks!

Jean

Replies

• Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 775 Member
    edited June 8
    Options
    Hi hi :)

Glad to hear you are stepping up self-care...

i use online exercise videos some too - there is a wide variety
    When back/motion is worse, i like Sherri Zak chair yoga... she has a lot of shorties that just help to ease stiffness. I also slipped in the early workouts..

Eventually, got a monitor that had 2 way talk and video. Hooked up to the 2 system monitors and also to my phone, so i could step away in confidence for even simple things like a laundry change or to rustle a meal.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow caregiver!

If you’re able to get respite help, that’s something I have found invaluable.

In our situation I have my partner living with my husband and I. It’s worked wonderfully for over a decade. For a while we also had another friend living with us who could watch my husband while I was out.

As for things that make life easier?
    Prepackaged single serve salads.
    Paper plates.
    “Baby proof” everything you can. If your mom has dementia and is a wanderer, a door alarm and something like an Air Tag or a Tile might be worth looking into.

• JeanCricket
    JeanCricket Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Adventurista and Margaret-

Thanks for the great ideas! So helpful to have fellow caregivers here!

Hugs,

Jean
  • Blueto88
    Blueto88 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What I've learnt is that this is 100% a mental practice. Focus on staying connected to positive motivation, as well as at the same time rooting out tempting thoughts, apathy etc. It's all in your mind. Conquer the mind, conquer life!