How do I stop binge eating

Options
Good afternoon members. So far I've lost about 12 lbs, give or take. However, I have those days when I go way beyond my calorie limit because I eat everything in sight. Anybody know why that happens? Anybody know how to stop it? Thanks!

Best Answer

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yeah, it's usually because you've cut too low.

Set your Goal at "Lose 1 pound per week."

Eat enough protein to meet your protein goal on your food diary.

Make sure you're getting enough fiber. Protein and fiber are key.

Answers

• caylapal888
    caylapal888 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    @zwoman111 Are you eating enough calories?
  • Blueto88
    Blueto88 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try to be aware of your cravings and not act on them. They will pass. When I was carb counting and trying to lose fat, I'd get hungry at night time so I'd have a cup of tea or coffee, it completely distracted the urge and the craving stopped.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 12 lbs lost....the cold hard truth on binge eating? Throw all the junk food out of your house and replace with healthy options. If you are tempted to binge, not having junk around is one way to solve the problem. Works for me. And like others said, you may need to up your overall calories per day to feel satiated. Next time you feel like binging, binge on some low calorie rice cakes, fresh veggies (no dressing) , dill pickles , unsweetened coffee/tea, or take a walk outside to get your mind off of it. Develop WILL POWER.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,624 Member
    Options
    I know some folks who have triggered success by putting up a sign on the refrigerator or pantry or both that says something like:

"Kitchen closes at 19:30"

This can be very useful if you suffer from late night snacking and if you will actually heed the sign.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I know some folks who have triggered success by putting up a sign on the refrigerator or pantry or both that says something like:

"Kitchen closes at 19:30"

This can be very useful if you suffer from late night snacking and if you will actually heed the sign.

Unfortunately, with binge eating, that's extremely likely to trigger a binge as soon as the kitchen is "open"
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    A couple of reasons IMO. Too restrictive of calories or too restrictive on foods you like to eat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 40 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    One thing I have done to support tracking my food is to allow Future Me to the party. Present Me almost always regrets the choices that I knowingly made that put me way over my "budget" for the day. But Past Me didn't care. She wanted the food, and all of it. Now, I log it without even eating it. Look at the log. See the numbers. Look at how I am sabotaging myself. Then, Future Me gets a voice. Many times, I don't eat all of the food. Many times, I don't eat any of those extras. I find something else to do. I find something to snack on to get my crunch if that's what I need (carrots are a staple in my house). And I don't delete the extras until the end of the day before I go to bed, when I know that the kitchen is closed.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 776 Member
    edited June 11
    Options
    @girlwithcurls2 ~ interesting, future you. Thx for the share.

@zwoman111 ~ welcome to mfp

There is a difference between extra eating and 'can't stop' and the strategies to do better can be similar or different.

To change, we release the old, embrace/practice the new until the new happens. So make a plan to try, then adjust, try more.

One strategy I use in the evenings is to plan a snack and get it ready earlier in the day so i can grab and eat when it is snack time. Then stop, do something non-food after.

Don't fret if you crash and burn, just adjust your strategy if you need to, then try more. Keep at it :)

• zwoman111
    zwoman111 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's usually because you've cut too low.

Set your Goal at "Lose 1 pound per week."

Eat enough protein to meet your protein goal on your food diary.

Make sure you're getting enough fiber. Protein and fiber are key.

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you!
  • zwoman111
    zwoman111 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great advice!!