Low Cal Substitutes

Options
springlering62
springlering62 Posts: 7,899 Member
Anyone got any interesting low cal substitutes? I’m always experimenting with ways to cut calories.

We’re visiting family, who doesn’t keep mayo in the fridge. I didn’t realize this til I went to mix some in some apple/celery/rotisserie chicken salad I’d chopped up.

Quick online search showed yogurt/dijon/lemon juice/little olive oil as a substitute.

It was outstanding! Way tastier than mayo.

As I was entering the dab of mustard in my log, my zero cal Walden honey mustard dressing automatically popped up.

Light bulb! I’m going to try that next time, with just a little yogurt for extra creaminess.

Another thing we do is make a simple 10 bean soup (available dried in the supermarket) , with shredded crockpot chicken, maybe some diced ham, and tomato juice. Low cal, super high protein. Then we add some spicy Hugh’s sugar free bbq sauce to our bowls and stir it in. Voila! Old school Brunswick stew! About 300-350 calories for a large (and filling!) bowl.

We’ve also discovered canned enchilada sauce. The whole can is about 60 calories or so. Roll some of that same shredded crockpot chicken/sauce/shredded cheese in a low carb low cal tortilla, pour in the rest of the sauce and a bit more cheese and enchilada heaven.

We’ve also learned that by shredding our own cheese, block cheese is much lower calorie than pre-shred, and tastes far better. More satisfying for a little more effort.

Anyone else got any creative calorie cutting ideas to share?

Replies

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I was just going to tag you to see this thread! How funny!
  • springlering62
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    I was just going to tag you to see this thread! How funny!

I feel so experimental nowadays.

I made scones a couple weeks ago, and shortbread for strawberry shortcake the other night. I changed to margarine (60/tbsp versus butter 100-110/tbsp) and then cut the amount amount from 12 tbsp to 8 (a stick). They tasted just fine and that saved a lot of calories.

And we got a Nonja nonstick pan that heats super hot, to brown meats in with no oils. Works like a champ! Like it better than our TeFal pan.
  • springlering62
    Options
    Oh! For stir fry: sweet green apple balsamic vinegar in lieu of ginger or teriyaki sauce is also good.

Also stir fry in that same ninja pan with no oil. 👍🏻
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    We’ve also discovered canned enchilada sauce. The whole can is about 60 calories or so. Roll some of that same shredded crockpot chicken/sauce/shredded cheese in a low carb low cal tortilla, pour in the rest of the sauce and a bit more cheese and enchilada heaven.

Blasphemy!!!!! j/k... my wife is Mexican and if I were to bring something like this into the house she would beat me with the can! :) The other suggestions look really good and the better half has used several of those.

The 'yogurt/Dijon/lemon juice/little olive oil' is also great for tuna salad.
  • COGypsy
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

Blasphemy!!!!! j/k... my wife is Mexican and if I were to bring something like this into the house she would beat me with the can! :) The other suggestions look really good and the better half has used several of those.

The 'yogurt/Dijon/lemon juice/little olive oil' is also great for tuna salad.

I tried canned enchilada sauce when I moved up north. Better to not have enchiladas at all. However, I have been saved by a couple of New Mexico companies that ship red chile on demand :)

@springlering62 If you can get your hands on it, try red chile sauce from a jar instead of a can. There's a company called 505 that sells in grocery stores nationwide. Any of their products are good and they have a pretty decent enchilada sauce for mass market stuff. Ideally, enchilada sauce should be essentially pureed softened red chile pods and some garlic/onion/cumin - type flavorings. I actually count it as a vegetable serving--a chile smoothie, if you will. You'll never go back to canned once you've tried the good stuff!
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Half-fat mayo tastes exactly the same as regular.
  • springlering62
    Options
    Skim milk in a hand pump frother microwaved a few
    Seconds to 3-4x its size , is thick and creamy, and holds its texture for a while.

Terrific in coffee or chai.

Sadly, haven’t figured out a good way to hand froth oatmilk.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    Tips for salad dressings. Classic vinaigrette contains 3 parts olive oil to 1 part vinegar or lemon. Here are a few alternatives containing less fat:

Ranch recipe made with the minimum fat, using 0% fat yoghurt for some or all of the mayo and sour cream:
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ranch-dressing-recipe_n_3769342

An asian tasting alternative vinaigrette of 1 part soy, 1 part balsamic, 1 part nut oil (hazelnut, walnut or sesame).

Japanese white dressings which use silken tofu for creaminess:
    https://www.food.com/recipe/japanese-tofu-salad-dressing-208650

SE Asian dressings based on fish sauce, lime juice and sugar such as Vietnamese Nuoc Cham:
    https://thewoksoflife.com/nuoc-cham-vietnamese/
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I tried canned enchilada sauce when I moved up north. Better to not have enchiladas at all. However, I have been saved by a couple of New Mexico companies that ship red chile on demand :)

There's a big difference between sauces. Old El Paso is HORRIBLE. Its just seasoned tomato sauce.
    I use Las Palmas.

NO TOMATOES
    Water, Dried Red Chile Peppers, Salt, Cottonseed Oil, Cider Vinegar, Fumaric Acid, Garlic Powder, Spice, Olive Oil.

wsj5ng2nubd4.png

• COGypsy
    Options

There's a big difference between sauces. Old El Paso is HORRIBLE. Its just seasoned tomato sauce.
    I use Las Palmas.

NO TOMATOES
    Water, Dried Red Chile Peppers, Salt, Cottonseed Oil, Cider Vinegar, Fumaric Acid, Garlic Powder, Spice, Olive Oil.

wsj5ng2nubd4.png

What's the consistency like? I like the jarred sauce because it's thicker and more chile-like. I'd love a cheaper option, I probably eat some version of enchiladas two or three times a week. Just can't do the liquidy soupy stuff.
  • springlering62
    Options
    I couldn’t find the recommended one, so I got the Siete in a jar. Def better tasting but seems to require more of it. Although, to be fair, I did double up on the chicken for the protein.
  • COGypsy
    Options
    I couldn’t find the recommended one, so I got the Siete in a jar. Def better tasting but seems to require more of it. Although, to be fair, I did double up on the chicken for the protein.

If I get some that’s especially pasty, I’ll just thin it out with a little water or vegetable broth until it’s the consistency I want. Think of it kind of like chile paste that can be adjusted as needed. Or, as I like to call it—a chile smoothie!
  • earlybirdlady
    earlybirdlady Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    For salad dressings, I make a larger batch at once of vinaigrette and cut the oil down to about 1/4 of what is in the recipe. Then add Dijon and honey for nice consistency.

For salads with tender greens like spinach or arugula, or finely chopped salads, I use balsamic glaze and add some feta. The feta adds creaminess without the oil and has a little protein. I don’t know what I’m trying to justify the feta, feta is just heaven! Parmesan is also a good option.