2»

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,478 Member
    edited June 13
    Options
    Some good comments above

I'm going to tough love you a bit.

You met your goal regarding labs. That is great but to be brutally honest, it should be considered a short term goal. At 5'6" and 254 pounds you in the morbidly obese category on BMI. You; labs aren't going to stay good long term at that weight.

You said your daughter started crying when your prior health markers were discussed. I'm paraphrasing from someone else but, for a good, strong, motivator you need something that makes YOU cry. Picture yourself lying dead in a casket, in your hand a big container of cheese fries, maybe a bit of cheese sauce on your dead lips, while your wife and 12 year old daughter look at you in tears. Are the cheese sauce and fries still so damn good?

Be responsible and do what you know you have to do. Good luck.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    At the end of last year I went to the doctor for a routine physical and my A1C came back at 8.1 my cholesterol was the highest it has ever been and my blood pressure was high as usual. My wife was going over my numbers with me in front of my seven year old daughter and she started crying uncontrollably and was worried her dad was going to die.

So I knew what I had to do, I was 306 lbs (5'6'') on 12/28 and at my follow up doctor appointment I was 254. My A1C was down to 5.8 and all my bloodwork was stellar. I check my blood pressure every morning and every evening, all great numbers.

The issue is ever since my doctor appointment and my labs I have been seriously messing up. In extreme moderation I have been eating the garbage that I LOVE and I have been putting off exercising. The last thing I want to do is let down my daughter, but damn, fries and cheese sauce are just so good.

How do you guys keep motivation up after achieving a goal?
    It's not about motivation. That comes and goes. You just have to be consistent on a SET routine day in and day out. Like brushing your teeth. You don't need motivation to do it.
    And I get there are foods you love, but what's it gonna take to get you to get your weight under control? A heart attack? A stroke? Cause as a rehab guy I can tell you that the people I have to work with just so they can do things like walk, or just move normally again go through a lot.
    You set a goal earlier just to have better blood work and then when you achieved it, you felt you FINISHED. It's NEVER finished. People that are in normal or lean do the things NECESSARY day in and day out so that they don't get overweight or so they don't get onset health issues.
    All I can tell you is that you have to find a program you can do day in and day out and just DO IT.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 40 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice and ideas on this thread. How about scheduling another appointment with your doctor? Your last one was an annual check-up, so why not go back in a month or so and compare your numbers? That way, you have that appointment as a goal and target, in addition to the other suggestions that have been given.
  • DiabetesDaddy
    DiabetesDaddy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Some good comments above

You met your goal regarding labs. That is great but to be brutally honest, it should be considered a short term goal. At 5'6" and 254 pounds you in the morbidly obese category on BMI. You; labs aren't going to stay good long term at that weight.

You said your daughter started crying when your prior health markers were discussed. I'm paraphrasing from someone else but, for a good, strong, motivator you need something that makes YOU cry. Picture yourself lying dead in a casket, in your hand a big container of cheese fries, maybe a bit of cheese sauce on your dead lips, while your wife and 12 year old daughter look at you in tears. Are the cheese sauce and fries still so damn good?

Oh, I completely agree that I am still morbidly obese.

Yeah, that is my worst fear - dying before I get to watch my daughter grow up.

• DiabetesDaddy
    Options
    Ninerbuff - That is my major problem - the damn routine. A serious issue for me was McDonald's breakfast. Every morning I would get an Egg McMuffin meal with a large coffee. I completely cut out the caffeine because of the blood pressure and I replaced rest of the meal with one of those protein shakes and a can of V8 ( I know, the sodium) but I haven't set foot in a McDonalds (or drive-thru) since then because I have a routine in place.

I also have a routine in place for lunch. Lunch is a seriously big deal at my workplace. I knew that it would be the toughest hurdle for me to overcome. I did some reading and I found that raspberries were extremely good for you and would not send my blood sugar skyrocketing. So everyday for lunch I have 170g of raspberries, 170g of blackberries and 48 unshelled pistachios.

My main issue is dinner - I don't cook anything, like toast is stretching it, which isn't a big deal since the wife will make me whatever I just don't like healthy stuff. I literally ate like a f-ing 14 year old since I was 14. My go-to is great northern beans with ham.
  • DiabetesDaddy
    Options
    Lots of great advice and ideas on this thread. How about scheduling another appointment with your doctor? Your last one was an annual check-up, so why not go back in a month or so and compare your numbers? That way, you have that appointment as a goal and target, in addition to the other suggestions that have been given.

You ready for the jacked up part? Since A1C is a 3 month snapshot and I have 4 month follow ups I figured that I was free to eat a little messed up for the first month since my appointment and that wouldn't factor into my A1C. Like that thought actually went through my head.

Yeah my next appointment is in the beginning of September.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,851 Member
    Options
    Ninerbuff - That is my major problem - the damn routine. A serious issue for me was McDonald's breakfast. Every morning I would get an Egg McMuffin meal with a large coffee. I completely cut out the caffeine because of the blood pressure and I replaced rest of the meal with one of those protein shakes and a can of V8 ( I know, the sodium) but I haven't set foot in a McDonalds (or drive-thru) since then because I have a routine in place.

I also have a routine in place for lunch. Lunch is a seriously big deal at my workplace. I knew that it would be the toughest hurdle for me to overcome. I did some reading and I found that raspberries were extremely good for you and would not send my blood sugar skyrocketing. So everyday for lunch I have 170g of raspberries, 170g of blackberries and 48 unshelled pistachios.

My main issue is dinner - I don't cook anything, like toast is stretching it, which isn't a big deal since the wife will make me whatever I just don't like healthy stuff. I literally ate like a f-ing 14 year old since I was 14. My go-to is great northern beans with ham.

You're getting it, then. Finding those new habits - routines, patterns, whatever we call them - is IMO key. Ideally pleasant ones, at least tolerable/practical. Sustainable.

Depending on what's in the great northern beans, those could be fine. (Lots of recipes use a boatload of brown sugar, etc.) Ham also tends to be high sodium, but there could be worse choices. Protein and beans (or some other veggies you like) within calories: That sounds really good.

Hang in there!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Some good comments above

Oh, I completely agree that I am still morbidly obese.

Yeah, that is my worst fear - dying before I get to watch my daughter grow up.

Good, use that fear to push you to do what you know is needed.

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

Here’s some good news:
    It will take time, but your tastes will change.

I used to love those Egg McMuffins.
    Now, even if I could find a gluten free version? I probably would eat half or none.
    They’re too greasy and heavy.

Taco Bell? Loved that stuff.
    But after a few years of a low sodium diet I tried one taco and it tasted like a salt lick with cheese.

Hold fast. It will get easier. I promise.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    @DiabetesDaddy - i can hear the struggle in your original post and on-going discussion.

I kind of look at major overhauls of anything as a long project - think building a new tool and play station in the back yard... Won't happen in a day... plan, prepare, build some... stop/rest each day, do more tomorrow... repeat... Some days super tuff... pouring rain or hot hot... you adjust for those special days... but you keep recommitting every day to do what you can, for you, for your family.

This is like that. You are your project. Go for it! You clearly have a desire, or you would not have even posted, so look forward and hit it!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    Options

Taco Bell? Loved that stuff.
    But after a few years of a low sodium diet I tried one taco and it tasted like a salt lick with cheese.
    This is MFP gold right here!

It does get easier. I found foods I liked better. I thought that would/could never happen, but having just come back from a trip, it was a joy to break out some sweet balsamic vinegar for my afternoon berries. I missed the stuff more than I ever missed chocolate.

Same with exercise. My husband and I both sat on our hands for a week when the grandchild was at school or napping. Well, fortunately for me I brought needlework. He was climbing the walls. Five years ago, we would have curled up with a multitude of snacks and been perfectly happy, but now we both need movement, movement, and more movement.

Over time I’ve changed my goals. Instead of not wanting to be morbidly obese and a host of health issues like my mom, to making a goal to fit in a dress umpteen sizes down, to working on upper body strength to achieve an arm balance, to “hey this weight stuff is sorta fun - I wonder if I can get a little buff?” to my current goal of staying fit so I can play a roaring dinosaur and chase my granddaughter around a park til she outgrows it.

You’ve achieved a great goal of fifty pounds and better numbers. Can you reset your goaly goals? Move the bar a little further? It really helped me to keep pushing goals, and rewarding myself when I did. For me, it was a new pair of leggings every five pounds. It really helped me chip away at microgoals.

You’ve come soooo far. Don’t relax back to bad habits.

Would you rather look back in a year and at least be in the same place, than regain it all for cheesy fries?

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,144 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing great, finding your way.
    If you're happy with your breakfast, good. Stick with it. If you're not, and your wife is a willing cook, ask her to experiment with prepping egg muffins, full of veggies. You can heat one up each morning. Or pancakes or waffles made with cottage cheese or yogurt and oat flour. Or ?
    Lunch. Maybe add a little baked chicken or a packet of tuna for protein?
    Dinner. Beans and ham sounds good. Add sliced tomatoes or a salad, or?
    Are you seeing a pattern? It's not all about cutting out things you like. Some of it is about adding healthy, low calorie things you like.
    It's easy for many people to say they don't like vegetables, but think about it. Pickles? Fajita onions and peppers? Most people can think of a few veggies they like and can add to the routine, and a few more they're willing to try.
    Again, sounds like you're doing great.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 844 Member
    edited June 14
    Options
    I’ll be the odd one out and say, I don’t believe you. Do you need me to believe you? No. But you’re here for a reason and I’m not quite sure what it is. So you can act like you’re taking responsibility without actually taking responsibility? This is a very common behavior for people to gain sympathy and support and not actually have to change. It’s a form of manipulation.

I hope you do save your life for you and your families sake. But, I don’t think you will. And I definitely don’t think it’s funny that your daughter has to live with this terrifying and very possible event and can’t do anything about it.

I’m okay with any backlash, I’d rather stand up for your daughter since you won’t.
  • DiabetesDaddy
    Options
    Corina1143 wrote: »
    Sounds like you're doing great, finding your way.
    If you're happy with your breakfast, good. Stick with it. If you're not, and your wife is a willing cook, ask her to experiment with prepping egg muffins, full of veggies. You can heat one up each morning. Or pancakes or waffles made with cottage cheese or yogurt and oat flour. Or ?
    Lunch. Maybe add a little baked chicken or a packet of tuna for protein?
    Dinner. Beans and ham sounds good. Add sliced tomatoes or a salad, or?
    Are you seeing a pattern? It's not all about cutting out things you like. Some of it is about adding healthy, low calorie things you like.
    It's easy for many people to say they don't like vegetables, but think about it. Pickles? Fajita onions and peppers? Most people can think of a few veggies they like and can add to the routine, and a few more they're willing to try.
    Again, sounds like you're doing great.
    My main issue is I can’t do fish. I have tried salmon many many times over the last six months because I know how good it is for you. I just can’t do it. My other issue is eating foods that won’t cause my blood sugar to rise. My other issue is trying to stay away from processed foods.

I love all vegetables.

• ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    No, I don’t need you to or care if you believe me. I’m not asking you to believe anything.

My daughter is not “living in a state of constant fear” and I’m not getting calls about going on My 600 Pound Life.

I’m sorry for whatever you went through that made you this way. Jesus, I was just looking for some help with my eating habits over here.

I’m sorry if this hurts you but the truth is painful sometimes. I get it, believe me. Please take this seriously. Make a plan. Take charge of your health and your life. You’re living in denial on where you are and where you’re going. For this reason, be sorry for your family, not for me.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 744 Member
    edited June 14
    Options
    My main issue is I can’t do fish. I have tried salmon many many times over the last six months because I know how good it is for you. I just can’t do it. My other issue is eating foods that won’t cause my blood sugar to rise. My other issue is trying to stay away from processed foods.

I love all vegetables.

bold is mine.

nods, then don't eat fish... could not pay me enough to eat certain things.

Top level... i try to eat enough, stop at enough... including limit carbs at a meal to less than 45g. However, i am trying to do lower carb <25 to 35g per meal up to 4 meals a day... but the lower limit on a single meal
    Is the tough part, because... many of my favs are mostly carbs, er processed carbs... So that is the tough part for sure...

Regarding blood sugar spikes,.. couple things... eat carbs after protein, veggies, then carbs.

a tip in one of mom's magazines 'diabetes prevention' suggested a brisk 10 min walk after eating to help keep the spikes lower.
    -- plus when exercising a combo 1/2 cardio plus 1/2 strength training had a more impact to lower blood sugar for a longet afterburn time than just cardio or just strength training alone.

For food, you know what worked well already, so explore from there... we found out we love grilled smoked veggies (onions, peppers, all sorts of stuff)
    when plain boiled became too bored... Then we explored asian flavors... love fusion... anyway, worth finding what works for you :)
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    A couple completely unrelated things:
    1) Please consider joining this group. It’s specifically for discussion of things related to diabetes. Including diet and exercise. But the other stuff too.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group

2) A random thought: You’re new here so you might not know this. You can “ignore” a user. They’ll still see your posts. But you won’t see them.
    Might be useful. Just sayin..

Click on the user’s name (I’m using me as an example)
    fo96bkn9xw9c.jpeg
    Then click view profile
    sqr3nlkxemjt.jpeg
    Then click the button that looks like a person. If you click on the one on your profile you can edit what others will see about you.

jks4dz24g0ya.jpeg

2upmgp605ty0.jpeg

But if you click that button on someone else’s profile you can set them to “ignore”

t3gseogg48fm.jpeg

Hope this information helps.