Red Light therapy

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
So this is anecdotal, but in our gym we have a stand up Red Light therapy booth. Max time in it is usually 12 minutes (although I've done it longer when I have time). What I've noticed with it is that I have less joint pain, I seem to recover better from workouts and my skin is more pliable (less wrinkles).
I don't know about the hand held models, but a booth that fully exposes you seems to be working for me.
Any body else doing it?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 40 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,438 Member
    edited June 13
    Options
    That’s really interesting as I was debating getting a kit for home. I did a load of research and found that the EMS had more evidence than the red light so I went down that route. But a load of athletes are using red light and so I’m watching for more research. Glad to know it works for you though!

Edited to clarify - more research has been published on EMS showing the evidence, rather than anyone doubting red light.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,797 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it, but I can believe it. In the military bases in Alaska and the South Pole, they keep a room dedicated to light therapy. Since extreme latitudes can go weeks without seeing the sun (and more weeks barely seeing it depending on your work schedule), psychologically many people begun to suffer bouts of depression without realizing it's light induced, or more accurately LACK OF LIGHT induced. So they set up a schedule to sit in this room in a recliner, read a book or watch TV, with a super intense light shining on them which emits the full spectrum of light you would get from the sun, not just a single color frequency. Soon as they started doing that, the rates of depression dropped drastically.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    edited June 14
    Options
    One of my yoga instructors reads medical studies voraciously. He was talking about having success with red light therapy and studies he’d read about it. .

That prompted me to buy a pad that does both UV and red light (?) off Amazon. When I can remember to use it, it really does help. I know it’s ridiculously silly, but I forget to use it.

I sit still so seldom, and it’s hard to turn off the flashing lights on mine if I get up before the timer is done, and the lights are bad for eyes- and I generally have a few critters curled up on or next to me when I do sit. I worry about jeopardizing their eyes because, you know, cats and flashy light anythings.

That and we live in an urban area and the lights are clearly visible to people on the street outside and that also kind of weirds me out, since we are just five or six doors from a major courthouse and related prisoner drop off. I worry someone might take it as an emergency beacon of some kind. It’s really bright unless covered.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    edited June 14
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Never heard of it, but I can believe it. In the military bases in Alaska and the South Pole, they keep a room dedicated to light therapy. Since extreme latitudes can go weeks without seeing the sun (and more weeks barely seeing it depending on your work schedule), psychologically many people begun to suffer bouts of depression without realizing it's light induced, or more accurately LACK OF LIGHT induced. So they set up a schedule to sit in this room in a recliner, read a book or watch TV, with a super intense light shining on them which emits the full spectrum of light you would get from the sun, not just a single color frequency. Soon as they started doing that, the rates of depression dropped drastically.

Yeah, I'm somewhat familiar with this but it's based in my research into circadian rhythm, which is based in the science of chronobiology which basically is referring to our hormonal regulation that work with daylight and nighttime basically our 24 hour internal clock along with every other plant and animal on this planet.

Every cell in the body has an internal clock, along with every organ with the main clock in our brain that controls everything called the suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN). It’s a group of nerve cells located in the hypothalamus, just above the optic chiasm. The SCN, primarily synchronizes with the natural light-dark cycle, particularly the morning and daylight hours and through that optic chiasm, basically through our eyes when first encountering the morning light. Light is the main cue that sets and resets the SCN, leading to adjustments in our circadian rhythms which in the morning starts to suppress melatonin and begins to wake us up and at night it increases melatonin to facilitate drowsiness and the onset of sleep. Other hormones like estrogen and progesterone in women, along with mensuration that can also be influenced by the circadian rhythm and may affect sleep patterns as well.

Anyway, far north and southern hemispheres with times where there's extended dark time blue light effects our SCN in a similar way where exposure to blue light helps us wake up in the morning and used though what might be referred to as daytime, but at night its better not to have blue light interfering with this cycle and why you might of heard of blue light from computers etc and glasses that block blue light for nighttime use. For extended daylight hours our circadian rhythm is also disrupted and the use of blackout curtains and sleep masks help. We are connected to the world and environment in so many ways and 99% of it is yet to be discovered. However, don't know much about red light, only that it penetrates further into the human body than blue light. Just my 2 cents. :)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Just some peer reviewed study on red light results

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3926176/

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Just some peer reviewed study on red light results

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3926176/

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Interesting that they tested it for skin improvement. It was presented to me as a potential aid for joint pain. I never thought of it for the other.

Wonder if it’ll work on that Floam belly!!!!!👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻🤣🤣🤣
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    OK here’s anecdotal for you.

I pulled mine out and used it several times on my swollen hip yesterday.

Went to yoga this morning, sat down to do my usual pre-stretch. WTH? One hip felt grand. Loose, no pain or restriction. The other was its usual rusty self.

Realized, the loose hip was the one I’d used the red light pad on.

So today am using it on both sides.

And, in the interest of science, and @ninerbuff ’s scientific study, I’m using the thing on my belly. If I find the magic solution to erasing the Floam ring, I’ll let you know. I’m sitting and chilling anyway, so it costs me nothing but incredulity. 😁

There’s a woman with a thread frantically wild to get a flat belly I’d love to share with if it works lol. I’ll charge her for the info. 😇
    Yeah, love to hear your anecdotal result later.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png