Dr. Phil was Right!

Options

Replies

• judykay05
    Options

For me, I've been hiding. I'm scared to lose weight because then I think I'll have a greater chance of having of being in a serious relationship. But after reading this I stopped and thought about things. I have skinny friends who can't find a boyfriend for anything, and I've known many overweight girls to get married. Weight has so little to do with it -- what was I thinking?
    Naturally, I'll have to face this. But as long as I don't let it hold me back in all ways, I can stat to move forward again. It's a new day!

I know what you mean about hiding. I have been heavy and I have been thin, and I have also used my fat as a shield of armour. I am working on a blog explaining why it didn't work for me. I'm gonna post it soon if you are interested.
  • judykay05
    Options
    Wow what a great response! Thank you all so much for your input. I had this idea six weeks ago and really wanted to share it with someone who would understand, but I never thought it would maybe influence others. I guess we all deal with similar issues from time to time.

I really welcome your feedback and appreciate your honesty.

Thanks again, Judy
  • judykay05
    Options
    Its funny I can tell people how to eat, but then look at me like then WHY don't you do it! I have been soul searching for years to why I am fat. I think for me my dad and I never had a great relationship and he couldn't stand me being overweight. He never said nothing but he was a guy who loved to workout and until the day of his death he was a muscle bound guy. BUt I think the only way to get back at him was for me to be fat! GO FIGURE! How does that hurt him? IT DOESN'T!!!!! It hurts me! WOW I have always "thought" this but never put it down on paper! Its an eye opener for sure to see it written down. I think I may just go buy a journal this weekend and start writing in it!

Thanks!

I know Im rambling so I will stop!

Stormy, keep up the soul searching, when I get stuck sometimes it helps to get more information, so I read as much as I can. Writing it really helpful too, I was pleasantly surprised to see that other people feel like I do, or have been in my shoes, maybe this would help you too?

I read a book once by Robert Fulghum and it was called, "It was on fire when I layed down on it". It's available on Amazon. This book taught me that we make our choices from what we know. When we add to what we know, and might just make better choices!

Thanks for responding love, best of luck to you.
  • readytoowhere
    readytoowhere Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Great Story!.

Even though most people bash Dr. Phil, what I believe is that he helps people realize what they already know!
    I read one of his books (geared at single women) and even made my boyfriend read it. Because life is about loving yourself and changing to become the best person you can be!

Good Luck on your Journey!
  • kknudson
    kknudson Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your eye-opener!

But....Dr. Phil isn't really a doctor :wink:

Dr. Phil has his doctorate in Botany. He's a PhD in plants, not people ;) Though I suppose even though he's not a licensed psychologist, he seems to be good at motivating people.
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Gulp...swallowing back the lump in my throat. Your post brought tears to my eyes. Very insightful and interesting. I need to think about this for myself. I recently lost my mom at a young age...and it has been hard for me to examine my food past because it is so linked with my mom. Food+Mom=Comfort. Then she died. One piece of my equation is gone...it has turned my world upside down. But not only that...it has caused me to re-examine what it is I am eating for...

Diana
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thank you so much for sharing. You should submit it to Dr Phil, or a magazine! Best of luck to you on your journey!

(posters getting into dr phil's credentials.... Lol you might be looking so closely at the trees, you're missing the forest!)
  • Bditbobcat
    Bditbobcat Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Such a great post and so well written. Thank you for sharing your story. Good luck on your new healthy life! :flowerforyou:
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Wow well what a great epiphany (regardless of anyone's opinions of Dr. Phil). Thanks for sharing your story. Hopefully you've helped others to start examining their ways as well.
  • jenscot25
    jenscot25 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    What a great story. Thanks for sharing it. Best of luck to you!!
  • TraceB
    TraceB Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am bumping this so I can read it over and over!!!
  • KettyLan
    KettyLan Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    "And the truth will make us free". Good for you!!!!!
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Lol at some of the comments. Y'all crack me up.

@judykay: Loved the insight into yourself...I really think that your recent progress is only the beginning. Quite the breakthrough. Congrats!

Not a huge fan of Dr P myself, though I did read that same book years ago & got a few useful takeaways. I remember something to the effect that healthy weight people maintain a lifestyle that supports a healthy weight, while overweight people maintain a lifestyle that supports being overweight. When I took an honest look at my own lifestyle that was absolutely true. I had a kitchen full of unhealthy, processed convenience foods & my day to day routine involved virtually no physical activity at all. When I changed that routine, the weirdest thing happened...I started losing weight. Who knew?
  • KMS050308
    Options
    Seriously, the best post I have ever read. Do you have a blog? If so, I would seriously follow it!!!! I find this post VERY inspirational! Thanks you SO much for sharing!!!!
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Wow - Enjoyed reading every word. Happy for you. Now I have to figure out my probem!
  • horizonflight
    Options
    This is definitely a really awesome success story. I appreciate that you were able to share this with people you don't know. Keep up your amazing work! You will thrive with success I'm sure! By the way, you are an awesome writer. I wish I had skills to make any of my stories sound so dramatic to make readers feel like they were actually part of the story! Keep it up!
  • judykay05
    Options
    Lol at some of the comments. Y'all crack me up.

@judykay: Loved the insight into yourself...I really think that your recent progress is only the beginning. Quite the breakthrough. Congrats!

Not a huge fan of Dr P myself, though I did read that same book years ago & got a few useful takeaways. I remember something to the effect that healthy weight people maintain a lifestyle that supports a healthy weight, while overweight people maintain a lifestyle that supports being overweight. When I took an honest look at my own lifestyle that was absolutely true. I had a kitchen full of unhealthy, processed convenience foods & my day to day routine involved virtually no physical activity at all. When I changed that routine, the weirdest thing happened...I started losing weight. Who knew?

Kat, 72 lbs is very impressive plus a 5 k and and 10 k coming up! Holy moly! You did more than restock you kitchen! Thanks for the post!

Judy
  • tlc4ever
    tlc4ever Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've always known food = love for me. I cook grand meals for those I love. I love when I get compliments on my food. It makes me feel loved, and I know they appreciate my love when they are grateful for my home cooked meals.

My idea of heaven is a long buffet of all my favorite foods prepared by people I love and I can eat as much as I want without ever getting full. I just enjoy the "love" forever.
    Gulp...swallowing back the lump in my throat. Your post brought tears to my eyes. Very insightful and interesting. I need to think about this for myself. I recently lost my mom at a young age...and it has been hard for me to examine my food past because it is so linked with my mom. Food+Mom=Comfort. Then she died. One piece of my equation is gone...it has turned my world upside down. But not only that...it has caused me to re-examine what it is I am eating for...

Diana

I have been thin most of my life, but started putting on the weight when my mom died 7 years ago. I've gained 30 lbs in 6 years. There is a correlation here.
  • judykay05
    Options
    I've always known food = love for me. I cook grand meals for those I love. I love when I get compliments on my food. It makes me feel loved, and I know they appreciate my love when they are grateful for my home cooked meals.

My idea of heaven is a long buffet of all my favorite foods prepared by people I love and I can eat as much as I want without ever getting full. I just enjoy the "love" forever.

[I have been thin most of my life, but started putting on the weight when my mom died 7 years ago. I've gained 30 lbs in 6 years. There is a correlation here.

I am exactly the same way! About every other month I throw a big dinner for my friends and all my neighbors! I love the preparation and all the love I put into it, and how much everyone appreciates a real home cooked meal. However, I realize that TRUE love would be to feed them food that is not only delicious but also good for them.

Mom+Food=Comfort still go together because I "mother" my friends and neighbors by making delicious healthy meals like roasted chicken, super fruit salads served in carved out melons with all kinds of exotic fruit, red roasted potatoes full of fresh herbs and spices and extra virgin olive oil. Salmon baked on cedar planks! Man, I'm making myself hungry!

I'm sorry that you lost your mom, and yeah, you probably are compensating for your loss by eating more. The question you should ask yourself, does overeating really make you feel better? Does it even put a dent in how you are feeling, or does it just postpone the bad feelings for a while?

For me, it just made me feel worse. I was trying to make myself feel better, but the end result was that I felt much much worse. Going for a walk, meditating, listening to music or pretty much any activity that gets your adrenaline flowing, makes me feel much better!! I'm so glad that I figured it out.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Kat, 72 lbs is very impressive plus a 5 k and and 10 k coming up! Holy moly! You did more than restock you kitchen! Thanks for the post!

Judy
    Aw thanks! :blushing: True enough I did do a LITTLE more than just restock the kitchen...it was more of a mindset change. What I got from the book was that I needed to stop thinking like a fat person & making decisions accordingly. Do skinny people always wait in the parking lot until a spot opens up close to the door? Not as often as fat people do. Do skinny people avoid travel & social events that involve physical activity, like camping or going to the beach? Not as often as fat people do. Do skinny people always clean their plate? You get the idea.

When I started thinking about that more, I caught myself doing more & more things that I associated with being fat. In addition to the things I listed, I "arranged" my lifestyle to be sedentary & keep me fat. We moved to a ground-level apartment, I started working at home more, stayed on the computer all the time...& one day it hit me: I had spent years wondering why I was fat. When I broke it down & looked at how I lived, why WOULDN'T I be fat??

Even now after putting a dent in my weight, I still consciously remind myself about old habits. Maybe I'm tempted to take the elevator, & the little voice in my head will say "that's something fat people do!" since my office outside of the home is only on the 2nd floor. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!