Logging rice

Options
topher347
topher347 Posts: 24 Member
The nutrition label always seems to be for uncooked rice. I always cook it in big batches to eat throughout the week, so just using the standard entry and weighing it out as I take it. Does that end up accurate, or is there a different way I should be doing it?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The most accurate would be to weigh your rice uncooked, since there can be variations in how much water is absorbed.

Weigh the rice uncooked, then weigh it again cooked and you'll know what the ratio is: you can deduce what the uncooked weight was of the cooked portions you eat throughout the week.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    Just weigh cooked. Proper cooked rice really won’t vary much weight wise.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,674 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    The most accurate would be to weigh your rice uncooked, since there can be variations in how much water is absorbed.

Weigh the rice uncooked, then weigh it again cooked and you'll know what the ratio is: you can deduce what the uncooked weight was of the cooked portions you eat throughout the week.

This is basically what I do, but I make it simpler.... I know I cooked 2 cups dry rice, and I eat that over 4 meals, so that would be .5 cup cooked per meal. Whether I'm exactly right isn't a big deal, since I know ultimately I eat the whole 4 cups, so in the end, the calories are still more or less accurate.
  • Lietchi
    edited June 14
    Options
    That works fine if you're alone, weighing the individual portions is the way to go when you're sharing with other people.
    (You are using a volume measurement instead of weighing, which I personally wouldn't recommend, but it's easy enough to weigh a cup of rice once and see if it corresponds.)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,554 Member
    Options
    Rice dries out a bit when left standing for a while, thus the weight would go down a bit again. TO doesn't say whether they eat the rice alone or with several people. If alone then there's no problem of course.
  • topher347
    topher347 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I do share it, and eat different size portions when I do eat it. Sounds like if I was to change method at all, I would want to weigh the whole batch after cooking and letting it cool so the moisture had evened out. Maybe I will try that the next time and see if it comes out to a big enough difference to make it worthwhile.
  • Lietchi
    Options
    I mentioned the theoretical approach above, but in all honesty I do have to admit than on two occasions I actually compared the result for raw basmati (using a raw food entry) versus cooked basmati (using a cooked food entry) and the difference was 2 kcal. Curious to see if you get a similar result :smile: